The FA Cup 2014/15

Comments

• EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should they beat Chorley, it wouldn't surprise me if Halifax v Bradford is shown on telly.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So weekend 7th November
    Friday night FA Cup
    Saturday 8th Rugby Union Internationals
    Sunday 9th ATP Tennis Finals

and Public Service programmes with Remembrance Weekend
    and Claire Balding no doubt doing the Lord Mayors Show

A busy weekend at the BBC, like an earlier poster do the BBC just have one match?
    Will they be doing the 8 matches not live, but I think it is 8 matches in a Final Score type show with hand over to grounds as things happen?
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aerrow wrote: »
    Good heavens, who cares who Concorde Rangers and Gosforth Borough are playing in the first round of the Cup? Didn't they used to do this draw in the back room of a pub somewhere, and not burden the British public with it until things got a bit more interesting? Typical BBC bloat.

ITV did do live coverage of the first round draw as well.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do the teams that see their game moved to Sunday get any TV money?
  • Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess BBC will be hoping for 8 good fixtures, for there Goal Zone Final Sxore, or whatever they are gonna call it, for the Sunday.

Sky have WBA v Newcastle in the slot, which I guess isnt the biggest of fuxture, but I would have thought most football fans would be up for watchibng that, than havingbto listen to the Drone that is Final Score.

Yes, still a great shame for me that the first round isn't a week later. 2-4 on the Sunday afternoon they would have had the whole thing to themselves.
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,061
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »
    Do the teams that see their game moved to Sunday get any TV money?

Interesting question. I doubt it, unless they in effect get given money for being what you'd normally call a featured highlights game (ie commentator, full OB setup, etc), but I doubt it to be honest. I think it'll be a case of unless you're actually live for the full match or a named featured highlights game you won't get any money.
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What would be on instead at 7pm on BBC2?

I think the idea is to have a set time for rather than constantly moving it around and to make it a "big deal". It also stops the draw being made before lot of other matches have been played other than replays, rearranged games and on occassion, the Monday night game.

Ratings will be interesting. It's not a bad idea overall!

It's better than Sky's attempt at the Capital One Cup draw this season ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks like there will be no 1st Round highlights on the Saturday (maybe other than the red button). Good luck explaining that BBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gosport v Colchester
    Chorley or FC Halifax v Bradford City
    Warrington Town v Exeter City
    Weston-Super-Mare v Doncaster
    Weymouth or Braintree v Chesterfield
    Chelmsford or Barnet v Wycombe
    Grimsby v Oxford United
    Eastbourne or Dover v Morecambe
    Canvey Island or Havant & Waterlooville v Preston
    Forest Green v Scunthorpe

Are all the non league v league ties with the non league side at home, and the league side away. I suggest 3 of these 10 will be on TV.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best time for the draw (from the 3rd round onwards) would be after the last Sunday game where a lot of viewers would keep watching in order to see the draw.
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,061
    Forum Member
    The best time for the draw (from the 3rd round onwards) would be after the last Sunday game where a lot of viewers would keep watching in order to see the draw.

The only issue there though as far as the BBC are concerned, is that relies on them having the final Sunday game so they can show the game and then lead in to the draw, which may not strictly be possible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    What would be on instead at 7pm on BBC2?)

Last week on Monday at 7pm it was something called 'Big Dreams Small Spaces' with someone called Monty Don. A great loss to humanity to have the second in that series delayed by a week I'm sure.
    It looks like there will be no 1st Round highlights on the Saturday (maybe other than the red button). Good luck explaining that BBC.

It's on Sunday instead. With at least 8 of the 40 games on Sunday it makes sense to show it then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick G wrote: »
    Yes, still a great shame for me that the first round isn't a week later. 2-4 on the Sunday afternoon they would have had the whole thing to themselves.

Apart from the fact there are internationals that weekend, so they definately wouldn't have had the whole thing to themselves.

Before anyone pipes up with "the queen might die" it is also not unrealistic to expect games to be postponed because of international duty.

As is the case for the replays.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's on Sunday instead. With at least 8 of the 40 games on Sunday it makes sense to show it then.

Even ITV had them both nights!
  • Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you look back a couple of pages, you will find that they will be on Sunday morning from 6.30am to 8.00am on BBC Two.

Plus they'll be on the BBC website and the IPlayer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you look back a couple of pages, you will find that they will be on Sunday morning from 6.30am to 8.00am on BBC Two.

Plus they'll be on the BBC website and the IPlayer.

Still poor they aren't on BBC 2 about 9-ish or even 10 given MOTD's late start
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even ITV had them both nights!

ITV didn't have MotD and the FLS Championship goals to show (not to mention the Remembrance Festival).
  • cosmo crumbcosmo crumb Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    Gosport v Colchester
    Chorley or FC Halifax v Bradford City
    Warrington Town v Exeter City
    Weston-Super-Mare v Doncaster
    Weymouth or Braintree v Chesterfield
    Chelmsford or Barnet v Wycombe
    Grimsby v Oxford United
    Eastbourne or Dover v Morecambe
    Canvey Island or Havant & Waterlooville v Preston
    Forest Green v Scunthorpe

Are all the non league v league ties with the non league side at home, and the league side away. I suggest 3 of these 10 will be on TV.

If the three are from that list Chorley or Halifax v Bradford, W-S-M v Doncaster and Canvey or H&W v Preston would be the games I'd chose, the only ones I that can't see have any chance of being chosen out of those are the Grimsby v Oxford and Eastbourne or Dover v Morecambe games
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grimsby v Oxford has the sort of "former league club going down to non league" sort of point to it, (a bit like Luton had, when they were in the conference,) so I think it could be chosen.
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    Thought the presentation of the draw was a bit on the cheesy side with all the little kids sitting round in their football kit - and I couldn't help but notice how many women were present and shown on screen as the BBC continues to over-egg the football equality pudding.

This made me smile with the amount of times they showed the children on the floor, or other people in the crowd. What were they hoping they would do? Scream 'Yes! We've got (Team X) away'

At least the one child had the 'V sign' the right way around :D
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    The only issue there though as far as the BBC are concerned, is that relies on them having the final Sunday game so they can show the game and then lead in to the draw, which may not strictly be possible.

In that case, they could do the draw after the earlier BBC game (from the 3rd round onwards) to maximise viewing figures.
  • CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am i right in thinking the bbc are live streaming video of lots of the games online?
  • seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 3,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That logic doesn't make sense at all. The same proportion (1 in 5) of PL games take place every Sunday but we wouldn't expect to wait til then for highlights. If anything, with the Sunday Final Score showing goals as they go in, there's a much stronger argument for highlights on only the Saturday and not on the Sunday.
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Accrington at home is an incredibly boring draw. Won't be on tv but will be on Friday or Sunday as Forest are at home on the Saturday
  • seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 3,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In that case, they could do the draw after the earlier BBC game (from the 3rd round onwards) to maximise viewing figures.

What like ITV did and have been criticised for doing?

Until replays are scrapped and games are played on weekends only, it will never be possible to conduct the draw before every game has concluded.