Phone Contract price gone up? What to do?

O-JO-J Posts: 18,805
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi,

Basically I joined a 2 year contract with Virgin Media Mobile in March 2012, and just got about 5-6 months left, the monthly price has gone up 46p, from £15.99 to £16.45

Just wondering, how are they allowed to do that, and I'm not allowed to cancel, I'm a student, I can't afford it anymore,

They can't just up the price when ever they feel like it,
Don't they think of the customers situation?

I phoned them, and they simply said, I am on the lowest tarrif, I can't get any lower, surely there is something they can do to help me? thats absurd? doesnt seem very fair!

I feel that I am being ripped off,

If I have to stick to a contract, surely they have to as well!

Comments

• killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,906
    Forum Member
    I would assume that with the price increase you will have the option to cancel.
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing your phone contract if you read what you signed will say they can increase the price and you can only cancel if its more than the Retail Price Index.
  • sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    student or not that increase is not going to break the bank is it, its not even 1 less half pint in the month.

oh and yes they can up the prices if you read your contract.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    sethpet wrote: »
    student or not that increase is not going to break the bank is it, its not even 1 less half pint in the month.

oh and yes they can up the prices if you read your contract.

So are you saying phone networks should be entitled to increase the prices of contracts whenever they feel like?
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Yet another reason why contracts should be be avoided.
  • sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    So are you saying phone networks should be entitled to increase the prices of contracts whenever they feel like?

yes if its in the contract you signed.

If you dont like it, dont sign the contract.

My water/gas/electric all go up mid term as does Sky, why is it only mobile firms get picked up on it
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »

Virgin have upped the price of my broadband twice in last 8 months. I think honestly they shouldn't be allowed do but it is legal. You don't have a choice either most of the time.
    Forum Member
    sethpet wrote: »
    yes if its in the contract you signed.

If you dont like it, dont sign the contract.

My water/gas/electric all go up mid term as does Sky, why is it only mobile firms get picked up on it

Ignoring the bit in bold.

What i mean is do you think they should be allowed to put those terms in the contract in the first place. And i agree, gas + water and broadband also put their prices up. But IMO companies should not be allowed to write this in their T&C's for a contract longer than 1 month.

It's highly unfair to the consumer.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They can only put it up if it's less than an RPI increase and if it's fair and reasonable. I think it's fair enough to be honest, it is stated in the contract, it's never popular but every network has done it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    They can only put it up if it's less than an RPI increase and if it's fair and reasonable. I think it's fair enough to be honest, it is stated in the contract, it's never popular but every network has done it.

How can Virgin justify legally increasing a broadband charge 3 pounds in 8 months I was only paying 17 pounds now I paying 20. That is nearly a quarter extra inflation isn't that high surely.
    Forum Member

But my point is should it be allowed to be written in the contract in the first place.

Fair enough if it's already in there as people should always read T&C before signing anything IMO. But what i'm asking is should networks and other companies be allowed to write in that prince increase clause in T&C.

It makes no sense tbh and should be removed ASAP.
    Forum Member

Don't agree and neither do Which? In a 24 month contract all the aces are held by the networks and it's time punters wised up to it. But many of them can't afford to pay for the phone they covet up front so resort to signing their mobile life away for 2 years (advice: If you can't afford a phone up front you can't really afford it period, It's not exactly important like a place to live or even a car to drive). And then the networks have the audacity to increase the price twice during that period!
  • jammie82ukjammie82uk Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    i agree it is annoying but its a fact of life prices will always increase but how have you only just noticed it was announced in june i got a text message a voicemail and a letter though the post to inform me about the change and it was put into action in july
    sorry to sound harsh as well but if 46p a month has blown your finances apart you are clearly not living within your means
    Forum Member
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Don't agree and neither do Which? In a 24 month contract all the aces are held by the networks and it's time punters wised up to it. But many of them can't afford to pay for the phone they covet up front so resort to signing their mobile life away for 2 years (advice: If you can't afford a phone up front you can't really afford it period, It's not exactly important like a place to live or even a car to drive). And then the networks have the audacity to increase the price twice during that period!

honestly this made me laugh most tariffs cover the retail price of the phone you just pay it monthly

just an example an Samsung Galaxy S4 Black Mist on o2 is £549.99 on P.A.Y.G

where on contract paying monthly you pay £480 for the phone over 24 months
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    Hi,

Basically I joined a 2 year contract with Virgin Media Mobile in March 2012, and just got about 5-6 months left, the monthly price has gone up 46p, from £15.99 to £16.45

Just wondering, how are they allowed to do that, and I'm not allowed to cancel, I'm a student, I can't afford it anymore,

So it's gone up 46p per month after 18 months. Not exactly the scam of the century….
    Forum Member

so it is but will you get the same service if anything goes wrong also despite what is said in the title i'm not liking the comments about the foreign setups on the phone and no uk charger plus other apps like vodafone apps pre installed is the reason the price is low would rather buy from a reputable main dealer
    Amazon's own actual price is £483.73
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jammie82uk wrote: »
    so it is but will you get the same service if it anything goes wrong also despite what is said in the title i'm not liking the comments about the german setups on the phone, other apps like vodaphone apps preinstalled, would rather buy from a reputable main dealer

Amazon themselves are selling for 489.99
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    benbenalen wrote: »
    Hi,

They can't just up the price when ever they feel like it,
    Don't they think of the customers situation?

I phoned them, and they simply said, I am on the lowest tarrif, I can't get any lower, surely there is something they can do to help me? thats absurd? doesnt seem very fair!

I feel that I am being ripped off,

If I have to stick to a contract, surely they have to as well!

Of course you are being ripped off you silly bugger !

Having a phone on contract as a student is silly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    honestly this made me laugh most tariffs cover the retail price of the phone you just pay it monthly

You have to be a little financially dumb to think you need a £500 phone. I can build a sheet hot PC with a massive HD screen for that - and its upgradeable.
  • thebennyboythebennyboy Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Of course you are being ripped off you silly bugger !

Having a phone on contract as a student is silly.

Who makes dim comments like this? Not helpful to the OP at all. As for the price increase, there is not much you can do. They SHOULD have sent you a letter detailing the increase and if you were permitted to cancel. You can support the Which? campaign to try and get Ofcom to step in and stop it from happening. http://www.which.co.uk/campaigns/mobile-phone-price-rises/

For the comment quoted, being a student myself at university, I find the getting a phone on contract is a GOOD thing for students. It allows you to have the latest phone but without having to pay the hefty price tag up-front. Also if you budget and manage your money it is easily affordable.
    Forum Member

You seem like just the sort of punter the networks absolutely love. Naive.
    Forum Member
    konebyvax wrote: »
    You seem like just the sort of punter the networks absolutely love. Naive.

Go on then Please explain how I'm being naive
    Forum Member
    You have to be a little financially dumb to think you need a £500 phone. I can build a sheet hot PC with a massive HD screen for that - and its upgradeable.

Please show me where I say I needed a £500 phone?
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Undoubtedly there is a principle here with contacts that should be fought but I feel this 46p is a typical. ..oh im going to try to get out my contact now so I can start another elsewhere with newer phone. You cant even buy a packet of super noodles for 46p