Options

3G Iphone

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless they have changed the activation, making you sign up for a contract in store - o2 selling them for free is just crazy.

There will be unlocking and activation tools developed within weeks of launch. o2 will know this and won't let themselves lose shedloads of money.
  • Options
    HelixHelix Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrKev wrote: »
    Unless they have changed the activation, making you sign up for a contract in store - o2 selling them for free is just crazy.

There will be unlocking and activation tools developed within weeks or launch.

It pretty much looks like they have. If you look at the Apple Store online there is no pre-ordering and when you click "Where to Buy" it only lists O2 stores and the carphone warehouse. Nothing about Apple Stores which is probably because they won't have the ability to sign up customers to contracts in store.
  • Options
    jon41jon41 Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrKev wrote: »

There will be unlocking and activation tools developed within weeks of launch. o2 will know this and won't let themselves lose shedloads of money.

I think they will want your card details or direct debit at time of purchase and then in the T&C's of sale, activation must take place within 14 days otherwise we reserve the right to debit the full price of the handset from your account...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    I'm on a massive come down from such pre-excitement at the announcement of a new iPhone...

Like mentioned here earlier, STILL 2MP camera, STILL no flash, STILL no picture messaging facility.

So basically it's a bit thinner has 3G? No other difference as the iPhone 2.0 firmware will be available for the old ones too.

You've let me down Apple, you've really let me down :(

I'm guessing either LG or Samsung will come out with the full monty of what we all want before the end of the year don't u think?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,928
    Forum Member
    geofft29 wrote: »

So basically it's a bit thinner has 3G?

slightly thicker, i think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on a massive come down from such pre-excitement at the announcement of a new iPhone...

Like mentioned here earlier, STILL 2MP camera, STILL no flash, STILL no picture messaging facility.

So basically it's a bit thinner has 3G? No other difference as the iPhone 2.0 firmware will be available for the old ones too.

I'm guessing either LG or Samsung will come out with the full monty of what we all want before the end of the year don't u think?

Samsung snuck this new phone out earlier today,
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/06/09/samsung_launches_omnia/

Samsung sneaks out snazzy 3G iPhone rival;
    Based around a 3.2in, 240 x 400 display, the Omnia also packs in GPS, and FM radio, A2DP wireless stereo, Bluetooth 2.0, Wi-Fi and a choice of either 8GB or 16GB on-board storage. Users can up that capacity with Micro SDHC cards.

The handset uses increasingly popular haptic feedback technology to help users interract with the flat touchscreen more efficiently, Samsung said

On the back is a five-megapixel camera with image stabilisation, autofocus, and photography flavours of the month face and smile detection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jon41 wrote: »

Nice but I'm terrified at the fact it runs that software with the word feared by all Apple devotees... WINDOWS Mobile

Yuk, spit, cough! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nice but I'm terrified at the fact it runs that software with the word feared by all Apple devotees... WINDOWS Mobile

Well yes, it does have THAT software, I have a samsung i780 which has THAT on and it kinda sucks at times compared to my iphone
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, my friends are already laughing at me saying I will HAVE to get the new iPhone as I cannot be seen with an old model LOL! :D

Who? Me? As if!!!
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Heh, I'm far from an Apple devotee, & I go "Yuk, spit, cough!" at Windows Mobile.

Never again, not after my XDA :(
  • Options
    markymidsmarkymids Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will the new iPhone be able to play Flash content this time?

Also.. is it easy enough to transfer your old number?

Thinking about getting this...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    New iPhone comes with a 'SIM removal tool'

Hope that opens the compartment on the old one.

If buying iPhone for first time may take some time to transfer number due to demand, mine took 7 days last time
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Does anyone on here work for o2? I was wondering if you had been advised if existing iPhone users would be able to upgrade to the new model whilst still in there current contract?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope they have a pay as you go option especially if they are thinking about making you sign a contract before you buy it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stonard123 wrote: »
    Does anyone on here work for o2? I was wondering if you had been advised if existing iPhone users would be able to upgrade to the new model whilst still in there current contract?

Reading a link off here further up, it says Free for new customers, £100 to existing customers... guess that means no new contract hense the charge?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    Any sign of pay as you go?
  • Options
    gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    If it is contract-only, I am hoping for a bigger range of tariff options. The minimum £35 option at present is too expensive for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Reading a link off here further up, it says Free for new customers, £100 to existing customers... guess that means no new contract hense the charge?

Yes I saw that, just wanted to know if anyone from o2 could confirm that. I'd be tempted if was just a £100 upgrade fee.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    sl90 wrote: »
    Any sign of pay as you go?

There was quite a strong rumour last week that it was going to be £269 on PAYG. Think I maybe read it on The Register. They were on the money with all the features and $199 pricing, so who knows?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    slightly thicker, i think.

Its thinner
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sulriss wrote: »
    Its thinner

apparently only at the edges. overall it's slightly thicker according the posters at macrumors who have been comparing the respective specs.

example post:

The max thickness point of the phone is slightly larger, but the average thickness does in fact appear to be smaller due to the tapered back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    apparently only at the edges. overall it's slightly thicker according the posters at macrumors who have been comparing the respective specs.

example post:

The max thickness point of the phone is slightly larger, but the average thickness does in fact appear to be smaller due to the tapered back.

Oh. sorry.:o I only read the post on the macrumors site.

I like the sound of the white iphone, even if it will be thicker.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sounds like Apple still havent got it right. Never mind im sure it will sell to people who dont know any better or think Apple is cool.

There are lots of other better phones out there anyway.

Sony Ericsson Xperia X1
    http://www.sonyericsson.com/x1/?lc=en&cc=gb

HTC Diamond
    http://www.htc.com/www/product.aspx?id=46278

Samsung Ominia
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    Sounds like Apple still havent got it right. Never mind im sure it will sell to people who dont know any better or think Apple is cool.

There are lots of other better phones out there anyway.

Sony Ericsson Xperia X1
    http://www.sonyericsson.com/x1/?lc=en&cc=gb

HTC Diamond
    http://www.htc.com/www/product.aspx?id=46278

Samsung Ominia

I want the Xperia very much :cry: Predicted release not til Q1 2009.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sulriss wrote: »

I like the sound of the white iphone, even if it will be thicker.

i'm glad there's the option of white because i don't like the glossy looking black.