Options

The Mysterious Planet

Shane54Shane54 Posts: 520
Forum Member
✭✭
Been watching some Classic Who and the Mysterious Planet in particular recently.
It gets some bad press and isn't considered one of Bob Homes' best.
To be honest I was pretty underwhelmed after waiting 18 months fo the show to return and when I saw it again years later on video I could hardly remember anythgn about it.
Watching it again recently I really enjoyed it. I thought it was an excellent premise and is actually a well written script with some great characters and good cliffhangers (apart from the trial ones).
So why the reputation? I think the production lets it down - for an underground civilisation with reduced power available its very bright down there and the outdoor scenes filmed on video make it all look a bit cheap.
Made today it could be a corker - what does everyone else think?

Comments

• Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its biggest problem is the tie to the Trial of a Time Lord thread, so that how the planet got there and what the records contain isn't resolved for another 8 weeks, after two otherwise unconnected serials. It's not like the modern stuff where the fact that questions are unanswered is at least acknowledged regularly, you're both not told the answers and you have no reason to believe you ever will be.

That being said, I like the story. That whole year is actually pretty decent, certainly a lot better than the one before. Also, when we were children my siblings and I always used to get a good laugh out of the use of "I think this is the end" as the way to end an episode.
  • Options
    Shane54Shane54 Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I forgot to say - I still can't stand that bloody coat though!
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit I don't remember this one fondly. I thought it the weakest of the three sub-stories within Trial.
  • Options
    temperaretemperare Posts: 3,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit I don't remember this one fondly. I thought it the weakest of the three sub-stories within Trial.

Really? I thought terror of the vervoids was the weak link!
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    temperare wrote: »
    Really? I thought terror of the vervoids was the weak link!

I thought that was the best!