Options

Has Doctor Who ever made you cry?

lmddawsonlmddawson Posts: 484
Forum Member
I remember getting really emotional at the end of Forest of The Dead when Donna was getting split from her husband and River was sacrificing herself.

Doomsday (Rose/The Doctor beach scene)

Waters Of Mars (When the crew are dying one by one and it all gets really emotional :D)

The End Of Time Part 2 (10 when he's meeting all the old companions up to the regeneration - wish it was edited better to be a real tearjerker)

-

Think that's it. Anything from a tear all the way up to full on screaming at the TV :cool: What about you?

Comments

• Options
    VabosityVabosity Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vincent and the Doctor is only story in Who (Classic and Nu) that's ever brought a tear to my eye.

The beach scene in Doomsday certainly didn't make me cry - vomit maybe, but not cry.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear, we had a thread about this a couple of weeks ago and it descended into chaos for a while.
    Let's hope order is maintained in this thread...:o
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear, we had a thread about this a couple of weeks ago and it descended into chaos for a while.
    Let's hope order is maintained in this thread...:o

I did wonder why it warranted a new thread.
    And the answer's still 'no, it's only a TV show'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Everytime the TARDIS materialises to save Someone it always gets me: Examples being in Fires of Pompeii when Donna convinces The Doctor to save the family... Also waters of mars when The TARDIS materialises at Bowie Base...
    Also:

When River ejects from the Byzantium and Again the TARDIS materialises

When the Doctor is being dragged to the Pandorica.. He is so scared but at the same time in awe of how an alliance such as theirs can come together..

When River makes her Blue again in the oval office in TIA...

IDRIS just wanting to say hello
  • Options
    AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah Doctor Who has made me cry - Adric's death, Tegan leaving and Planet Of The Ood always sets me off. One of the most underated classics of the modern series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The end of Human Nature/Family of Blood at Remembrance Day - aaarghh!
  • Options
    jonnyjackovjonnyjackov Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Was just going to post this. Most emotional story for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't find the end of Forest of the Dead upsetting at the time, but I think I'd be in bits if I saw it again now! 'You've got all of that to come - just watch us run.' :cry::o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I've not cried at Doctor Who but the scene between The Doctor and the sleeping Amelia in 'The Big Bang' made me feel a bit sad.
  • Options
    MrOstentatiousMrOstentatious Posts: 2,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only time I cried was when Rose got taken the other universe and they were both separated and Rose was crying. The bit that got me was when they both leaned up to the wall and Rose sensed the Doctor on the other side.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Donna losing her mind and getting her memory wiped. Heartbreaking and frustrating for someone who had come so far to have lost it all.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only time I cried was when Rose got taken the other universe and they were both separated and Rose was crying. The bit that got me was when they both leaned up to the wall and Rose sensed the Doctor on the other side.

Made no sense. They weren't on opposite sides of a wall, they were in different universes. And it was incredibly overdone.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I've never cried at Doctor Who, though I never really cry much at all so I'll just put the instances that have made me the most emotional...

- In Journey's End, Donna's exit was heart-breaking. I found it far sadder than Rose's departure because Donna lost everything in a fate arguably worse than death. It was really grown up to see the show tear down its female hero like that, especially seeing as a lot of people disapproved of the character early on. Tate delivered big time here.

- In A Christmas Carol, Michael Gambon terrifically conveys the emotion of Kazran on several occasions. When he cries over the back of the chair, when he smiles at the pictures of Abigail following an outburst of anger over the phone, and the look of utter happiness as he sees The Doctor has left the carriage behind the TARDIS near the end of the episode... through a mixture of brilliant writing, directing and acting, Kazran delivers a rare instance where you could shed tears of happiness for a character.

- In The Doctor's Wife, the whole "Hello" bit with Idris at the end.

- From Torchwood, the death of Toshiko in Exit Wounds, pretty much all of Ruth Jones' scenes in Adrift, the death of Frobisher in CoE: Day 5. The final scenes in Day 5 leading up to Stephen's death were very sad, but the effect is lost on DVD / Bluray as the music was changed from a gentle lamenting voice to a drum filled action piece.

- From Sarah Jane, Sarah sending her parents off to die in the car in The Temptation of Sarah Jane Smith, Sarah and Peter discussion truths in The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith, Jo Grant believing the Doctor thought she was stupid in Death of the Doctor and Sarah being told by Mr Smith that she is ill in Goodbye, Sarah Jane Smith (made worse by her untimely passing).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vabosity wrote: »
    Vincent and the Doctor is only story in Who (Classic and Nu) that's ever brought a tear to my eye.
    Me too. I assume you are talking about the scene in which the Doctor gets the curator/tour guide to give his opinion on Vincent with Vincent in earshot. Very emotional scene and so well acted.
  • Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member

Same here.

Not only one of the best Doctor Who stories of the lot but a cracking ending showing that the show can do emotion.

Most of the RTD era made me want to cry for a different reason.
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But if you suspend your disbelief, it can be cathartic.

No props for Father's Day?
  • Options
    smithers3162smithers3162 Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Made no sense. They weren't on opposite sides of a wall, they were in different universes. And it was incredibly overdone.

(yawn).

Made every bit of sense. They had both lost somebody they cared for. The wall was metaphorical as opposed to literal. If you didn't understand that, I really pity you.
  • Options
    smithers3162smithers3162 Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe because people like you didn't answer certain questions that were asked. To start with...has Dr Who ever scared you?
  • Options
    RooksRooks Posts: 9,102
    Forum Member
    Not cry no. But the first time I heard the theme tune to the 1996 TV movie after 6 years of no Doctor Who.. well.. it was a bit emotional :D
  • Options
    bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    The Face of Boe dying in Gridlock. Didn't make me cry as such but was pretty emotional.
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    Fathers Day came close but no don't think I've ever been reduced to tears from Doctor Who
  • Options
    AndyAndy Posts: 1,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Donna losing her mind and getting her memory wiped. Heartbreaking and frustrating for someone who had come so far to have lost it all.

Same. My only ever time shedding tears over a TV character. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,108
    Forum Member

So, Donna going back to her life as a Rollover Lottery winner is worse than, for example, Jamie having to go back to Scotland & have to suffer the aftermath of The Jacobite Rebellion?
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    Episode one of Paradise Towers.

I wept bitterly at how my beloved DW had become so so awful!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vabosity wrote: »

The beach scene in Doomsday certainly didn't make me cry - vomit maybe, but not cry.

Yeeeeeh 'Vincent and The Doctor'. A very touching episode. When Bill Nighy was explaining why Van Goch was the greatest artist of all time and Vincent was listening I had tears rolling down my cheeks. Great episode.