Options

PlayStation4 or Xbox One : first impressions

Comments

• Options
    HypnosHypnos Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Killzone looked like it was borrowing from Halo, the whole art style has done a 180, while I prefer the look of it, I never felt the game mechanics on Killzone were anything special. Always a very technically impressive game to look at but underneath quite shallow to play. But I'm not ruling out Shadow Fall, it could turn out great, it's just very generic.

If anything the Shadow Fall demo looks more like Mass Effect to me, but most of these scifi games are pretty generic anyway. I agree with what you say about the game mechanics though, Killzone just never felt right to me, I really tried to like it though my hatred of the Dualshock for FPS cant of helped. Halo allways felt more refined to me, even CoD's gunplay was a million times better than Killzone.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnos wrote: »
    If anything the Shadow Fall demo looks more like Mass Effect to me, but most of these scifi games are pretty generic anyway. I agree with what you say about the game mechanics though, Killzone just never felt right to me, I really tried to like it though my hatred of the Dualshock for FPS cant of helped. Halo allways felt more refined to me, even CoD's gunplay was a million times better than Killzone.

Killzone 2 was a great game, particularly online, until they COD-ified the controls.

Honestly such a weak-hearted decision by Guerilla to do that. Killzone actually had proper movement and aiming mechanics, and because the COD sensitivity-max 360 degree spinners were getting owned because of it, they bitched and moaned and complained until GG patched it, making it a simple COD copy. They should have left it the way it was.
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    ags_rule wrote: »
    Killzone 2 was a great game, particularly online, until they COD-ified the controls.

Honestly such a weak-hearted decision by Guerilla to do that. Killzone actually had proper movement and aiming mechanics, and because the COD sensitivity-max 360 degree spinners were getting owned because of it, they bitched and moaned and complained until GG patched it, making it a simple COD copy. They should have left it the way it was.

Agree 100%. It actually had a unique feel before the patches come due to the whiners and killed off all it's character. It was a steep learning curve but I'll happily admit it felt great once it clicked.
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    So to use catch-up you have to pay for LIVE to use the catch-up service Mircosoft provide rather than using the catch-up service which is provided as part of your cable service for free.

Yes. But if you bought an Xbox ONE, it would be first and foremost as a games machine and a sub to LIVE would, in most cases, be for just that, gaming.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting official information on the used games part from a interview with Phil Harrison speaking to Wired

Wired: What’s going on with used games? What about borrowed games? There’s a lot of speculation today. Can you clear some of that up? For example, we have multiple Xboxes in my house and trade games all the time. If we have multiple Xbox One consoles, can we still do that?

Harrison: Absolutely, just like you can today. You take the disc, install “the bits” on every machine you have in your house from the same disc, and anybody in your household can play that game. You have exactly the same restrictions that you have today, as in only one of you can play that game at a time because you only have one disc. But anybody in that house… well, the Xbox Live account… it goes for both the Xbox 360 and the Xbox One, and any user inside that house.

Wired: So as another example, if I took my disc and went to a friend’s house, would I be able to play that game on his machine?

Harrison: Yes, you can. You can take your game around to your friend’s house just as you would today — that’s assuming you have a physical disc — and what we’re doing with the new Live technology is that… with the disc, it’s just a repository for “the bits”. You can put that disc into his drive, you can play the game while you’re there, and then you go home and take that disc with you. But actually, “the bits” are still on his drive. If your friend decides that he really likes to play that game, then he can go buy it instantly, and it doesn’t need to download again. It’s already there. Once he’s paid for it, it’s immediately there.

Wired: So the discs that will be sold will essentially be start-up discs, and then the game isn’t really connected to the disc anymore once it’s been installed?

Harrison: Once you put the disc into your machine, you never need it again. If you want to keep it, that’s great. You can do that. But you can also download the game. You don’t actually have to have a physical disc after that point, but you can then share that disc with your friends which is basically a great way of distributing the content to other people.

Also, let me turn this around the other way. A game can be completely on a disc, with no additional content downloaded. You install the game on your hard drive, and other than pinging for Achievements and other multiplayer connectivity, then that’s it. That’s the end of it. Each game is on a case-by-case basis. But, I think it is very likely, that because of the inherent connectivity designed into the platform, that developers would want to expand and extend an experience over time.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Interesting official information on the used games part from a interview with Phil Harrison speaking to Wired

Wired: What’s going on with used games? What about borrowed games? There’s a lot of speculation today. Can you clear some of that up? For example, we have multiple Xboxes in my house and trade games all the time. If we have multiple Xbox One consoles, can we still do that?

Harrison: Absolutely, just like you can today. You take the disc, install “the bits” on every machine you have in your house from the same disc, and anybody in your household can play that game. You have exactly the same restrictions that you have today, as in only one of you can play that game at a time because you only have one disc. But anybody in that house… well, the Xbox Live account… it goes for both the Xbox 360 and the Xbox One, and any user inside that house.

Wired: So as another example, if I took my disc and went to a friend’s house, would I be able to play that game on his machine?

Harrison: Yes, you can. You can take your game around to your friend’s house just as you would today — that’s assuming you have a physical disc — and what we’re doing with the new Live technology is that… with the disc, it’s just a repository for “the bits”. You can put that disc into his drive, you can play the game while you’re there, and then you go home and take that disc with you. But actually, “the bits” are still on his drive. If your friend decides that he really likes to play that game, then he can go buy it instantly, and it doesn’t need to download again. It’s already there. Once he’s paid for it, it’s immediately there.

Wired: So the discs that will be sold will essentially be start-up discs, and then the game isn’t really connected to the disc anymore once it’s been installed?

Harrison: Once you put the disc into your machine, you never need it again. If you want to keep it, that’s great. You can do that. But you can also download the game. You don’t actually have to have a physical disc after that point, but you can then share that disc with your friends which is basically a great way of distributing the content to other people.

Also, let me turn this around the other way. A game can be completely on a disc, with no additional content downloaded. You install the game on your hard drive, and other than pinging for Achievements and other multiplayer connectivity, then that’s it. That’s the end of it. Each game is on a case-by-case basis. But, I think it is very likely, that because of the inherent connectivity designed into the platform, that developers would want to expand and extend an experience over time.

This then makes the 500gb HDD sound way too small. And I bet microsoft will not let you install standatd 2.5" HDD
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So basically this is downloadable only software in all but name. The disc is merely a kick start, so you don't need to wait for a download version or if you don't have fast broadband.
    gds1972 wrote: »
    This then makes the 500gb HDD sound way too small. And I bet microsoft will not let you install standatd 2.5" HDD

Not really, because the game can be downloaded at anytime once the disc is used. Or simply reinstalled from disc I presume.

Just hope folk have decent bandwidth for massive next gen games. Lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last paragraph is also interesting, if I'm reading it right, that means you don't need an internet connection to play games.

That's another myth blown out of the water lol
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gds1972 wrote: »

They've already said you can connect more storage via USB3
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The person who was asking the questions went about it the wrong way. He asked the right questions but not in the way to get answers people wanted.

If he's asking for clarification then why didn't he ask about price?

It's like they deliberately avoided trying to get any answers on the cost of used games. :confused:
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Major Nelson already explained that, this generation, the disc is purely a medium to deliver you the data of the game i.e. purely as an alternative to downloading it.

Like software, to legitimately play it you basically have to buy a license that is attached to your account.

Absolutely. It's clear what their long term goals are.

We need to now look at Xbox One as being a "downloads only" device, except here those downloads can come either over the Internet or, for our convenience, (and to keep retailers happy) off a disc you can pick up from a shop.

One the one hand, that makes perfect sense. After all, I couldn't download a game from Xbox Live and then sell or lend that game so someone else without giving away access to my account or handing over the hardware.

But, by offering the consumer the chance to purchase a physical disc they are risking drawing a comparison to the DVD / CD / Blu-ray markets where borrowing / lending / swapping / selling or whatever is still perfectly possible. That is always going to cause contention with some people.

Perhaps there would have been less anger if they had ditched game discs and just gone online downloads only? But it would have been a risky move, and still a generation too early, I think.

It's troubling, for sure. Personally, I have a decent connection and don't really trade games, so no big deal to me. But I worry that policies such as these could implications for the business as a whole. The last thing I want to see is the videogames market shrinking.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    ags_rule wrote: »

COD players still get owned, KZ3 is still a slowish movement game, I have heard all the wingeing from COD players.

I have over 800 hours in KZ3 MP.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a bit of a console noob, but for me it is easy, which ever console has Pong as a download I am 99% sure I will buy it, regardless of price.
  • Options
    Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CSI-uk wrote: »
    The last paragraph is also interesting, if I'm reading it right, that means you don't need an internet connection to play games.

That's another myth blown out of the water lol
    "certain" games will function without a constant connection. The guy was deliberately cagey on how often the console will "check in" with servers and what happens if it can't do so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "certain" games will function without a constant connection. The guy was deliberately cagey on how often the console will "check in" with servers and what happens if it can't do so.

It's not about checking in and DRM, it's about how the Xbox uses the cloud to make itself more powerful. Many games will be tapping in to that cloud processing power hence you need the internet connection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's troubling, for sure. Personally, I have a decent connection and don't really trade games, so no big deal to me. But I worry that policies such as these could implications for the business as a whole. The last thing I want to see is the videogames market shrinking.

Actually, this sort of thing will save the videogames industry. Videogames work like hollywood - they make a string of games that make losses and survive on the profits of a few blockbusters.

Games have become more and more expensive to make (all that graphics art assets, development etc). Games can cost as much as a big hollywood movie to make.

Lots of game studios have closed down already etc. Pre-owned businesses like CEX have made this worse because now a developer might only 40% of the games they used to sell (because people are now buying second-hand instead of new) and developers aren't making money to recoup their costs.

If developers insist on this then it will be the norm for both Sony and Microsoft. Hopefully with more people buying new, the prices for all can come down.

Yes, personally, I won't be able to share games with my friend and save money but I will have to make individual games last longer and buy smaller things like DLC. But it means smaller, creative studios survive and can generate new and interesting IP.

Otherwise we will end up with nothing but FIFA and COD.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the game developers could say. Look you cant trade the games in. They are one stop purchases. ...however, on the counter. We are now going to support the game during its life with bonus dlc included in your initial purchase price.
  • Options
    ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    Funny, because it's the big publishers of FIFA and COD that asked for this!

MSFT's downfall is maybe they listen to EA too much.

It's utter madness that this DRM is implemented on Day one. Sony would be wise to stay off and let the 'one' have all the exclusives and let the consumer decide.
  • Options
    Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The moment EA and Microsoft got into bed............the gamer was gonna get screwed........

Now its gonna all be DLC, ridiculous pricing, social media, browsing, kinect, and gimmicky ideas.......

The whole forgetting about the core business in the reveal - GAMING, and alienating the majority of your previous supporters

(oh and revealing an underpowered spec too doesn't help)

Why would ANYONE pay £35 fee for a code to allow them to play a second hand title

on top of the cost of that disc from Game/Cex/wherever

Why would they sell 2nd hand stock for a measly 10% share of the sale

I have owned the PS1, PS2 then moved to the original Xbox, then a 360 until it died and now the slim....it seems all they care about is stopping the free trade market......

If Microsoft actually get away with this, then ALL the other companies will follow

thats why they want the death of the hard copy

Books, Phones, TV's, Electronics, all will be "rented" iTunes style

and with no b/w compatability, it doesn't make me want to stay around for the Xbox One............no matter the exclusive titles & IP's they produce....the cost is high for something I wouldn't be using 50% of

The only problem is whether Sony follow suit......

If they don't, then It will be PS4 for me, if I can get used to the controller again...
  • Options
    ScooterwolfScooterwolf Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read this on Eurogamer:
    Microsoft has issued a patent that will award players - or should I say viewers - achievements for watching TV.

As reported by GamesIndustry International, Microsoft issued said patent last November. "Television viewing tends to be a passive experience for a viewer, without many opportunities for the viewer to engage or have interactive experiences with the presented content," stated the application. "To increase interactive viewing and encourage a user to watch one or more particular items of video content, awards and achievements may be tied to those items of video content."

"Additionally, by tying the awards and achievements to particular items of video or advertising content, viewers may be encouraged to increase their viewership of the content, thus increasing advertising opportunities."

While the details of how this will be implemented remain fuzzy, the patent hypothesised that achievements could be tied to watching an entire series or special events like the Super Bowl.

According to the GamesIndustry report, Microsoft envisioned a way to tie Kinect support into your TV viewing, meaning you could earn achievements for carrying out specific actions - like holding up a product - while watching a show or ad.

Achievements for watching TV :o
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ms have lost the plot if above is true.
  • Options
    seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The more i read about the x1 the less I like it. Just read that it must connect to the internet at least once every 24 hours. I dont have my 360 plugged in unless im playing it, so if im reading this right the x1 will have to be plugged in to the mains and left on standby for when it checks in to MS. I have a feeling I'll be sticking with the 360.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seanf wrote: »
    The more i read about the x1 the less I like it. Just read that it must connect to the internet at least once every 24 hours. I dont have my 360 plugged in unless im playing it, so if im reading this right the x1 will have to be plugged in to the mains and left on standby for when it checks in to MS. I have a feeling I'll be sticking with the 360.
    You'll be free to leave it unplugged. It just means the check it would normally do every 24 hours, should you have left it in, will be performed upon booting.

Much like a scheduled virus scan on your computer. You might have it set to scan every day at 5PM, but if your PC isn't on a 5PM one day when you next turn it on it'll run a scan as it is overdue.
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    seanf wrote: »

It was confirmed you can use X1 fully offline if you so choose but it's not advised since all the features are online. Some of the finer details still aren't 100% clear other than this confirmation so just wait and see.

They had a member of the armed forces as part of their "Xbox One Anthem" since it's a popular console used by servicemen and women. They have no access to the internet when stationed in the middle east.
  • Options
    seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    You'll be free to leave it unplugged. It just means the check it would normally do every 24 hours, should you have left it in, will be performed upon booting.

Much like a scheduled virus scan on your computer. You might have it set to scan every day at 5PM, but if your PC isn't on a 5PM one day when you next turn it on it'll run a scan as it is overdue.

What happens if there's a fault with phone lines, isp or router? One of big issues was the always on connection and this is not that different to always on if it has to ping the ms servers ever 24 hrs.