Sound on Sky Movie channels

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
Forum Member
Sorry if there has been a post about this before. Myself and a few of my friends have noticed that when viewing movies on the Sky Movie channels that the sound is very very low and we have to turn up our TV's very loud to hear what people are saying. Even then sometimes it is no use.

Is there anyway to resolve this without being connected to a home cinema system?

Comments

• fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlucont wrote: »
    Sorry if there has been a post about this before. Myself and a few of my friends have noticed that when viewing movies on the Sky Movie channels that the sound is very very low and we have to turn up our TV's very loud to hear what people are saying. Even then sometimes it is no use.

Is there anyway to resolve this without being connected to a home cinema system?

This has been a problem for years and the reason why i stopped subscribing to the movies. :mad:

Obviuosly so few people watch Sky MOvies that no-one complains.:D

i normally have my tv on volume 8- and had to turn it near 40 to be able to hear what was being said..... then i had to turn it bac kdown again as i was deafened by the background music and effects

Some one told me its to do with the film being broadcast in 5.1 surround sound.

If Sky Movies are only for people iwth 5.1 surround siund systems they should say so before you subscribe
    :mad:

... and they are going to end up with very few subscribers:eek:

Sky - get this sorted - NOW!
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've had Sky Movies for 12 years and never had a surround sound system.

I have no idea what you are referring to!
  • Katia PolletinKatia Polletin Posts: 4,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had no problems with Sky Movies in all the years I had them and that was both with just using standard stereo through the TV and using 5.1 DD surround system. OK no longer subscribe to Sky directly, so if it's something recent, then my comments can't really count.
  • RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What problem? sounds fine here going between DD5.1 and bog standard normal mp2.
  • wilko1978wilko1978 Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had this sound problem since i got Sky a year ago,I have to turn my volume up from 20 to between 40-50 to hear the movie!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DD soundtracks as mentioned on many a thread are full dynamic range so are not compressed thus the difference between the lowest volume and highest is quite high compared to standard stereo soundtracks. New firmware is being rolled out to balance out the volume difference between stereo and 5.1 soundtracks without reducing the quality of the 5.1 audio.

As for not having a 5.1 amp then I'm not aware of anything being different since 5.1 was introduced back in 2001(?) but it has been mentioned that as the two channel is downmixed from the 5.1 on some channels that can effect the quality although I suppose that is also dependent upon the quality of the TV's built in amp/speakers etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've noticed this problem also.... I just don't watch sky movies too much anymore...we just download what we want or buy the dvd... by the time it's on sky movies the DVD's are only a coupla quid.
  • DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlucont wrote: »

I've got the same problem and when i complained to Sky they said it was because i had a rubbish scart cable IE the one they gave me.

I solved it by removing the movies from my subscription.