Options

Any electricians on here?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,584
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Having a bit of a problem with an electrical timer plugged into a 4-gang extension.

Want a light to come on in the morning, so bought an electrical timer, but the only available plug is in a 4-gang extension. Unfortunately, the timer doesn't seem to be functioning, as the light is just permanently on. Is there anything I can do to get this to work?! I know the timer works, as I tested it without the extension, but I can't have it set up like that as I need to be able to charge my phone overnight, when the light should be off.

Can anybody help please?!?! TIA!!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    Does the timer work when is not plugged in to a 4-gang extension ?

Could be a faulty timer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

Yup, tested the timer without the extension and it works correctly. Unfortunately, I need two plugs, but one of them needs to be not connected to the timer! And I only have one plug in the wall!
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charge your phone somewhere else or try one of those multi-plug adaptors instead.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Plugging the timer into a 4 way extension socket won't change it's operation in any way compared to plugging it directly into the socket on the wall. The problem must be something else.

Usually on these timers, certainly on the ones that I myself use, there's an "Over-ride" switch on the side of the timer. This is so that you can get whatever you wish to switch to come on all the time. It rather sounds to me like you've managed to somehow move this switch when changing the sockets. I believe most timers have a similar switch for this purpose.

I would check this out first.
  • Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plug the timer into the wall socket(you say it works that way) then the 4gang extension into the timer, see if that works.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Charge your phone somewhere else or try one of those multi-plug adaptors instead.

Only have one plug in my room! And have a multiplug adaptor, but it doesn't seem to like my timer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    Plugging the timer into a 4 way extension socket won't change it's operation in any way compared to plugging it directly into the socket on the wall. The problem must be something else.

Usually on these timers, certainly on the ones that I myself use, there's an "Over-ride" switch on the side of the timer. This is so that you can get whatever you wish to switch to come on all the time. It rather sounds to me like you've managed to somehow move this switch when changing the sockets. I believe most timers have a similar switch for this purpose.

I would check this out first.

Hi Galaxy,

The bit in bold is exactly what I thought, but having the timer in the wall before the adaptor works, but having the adaptor then the timer doesn't. No override switch that I can see, is an electrical timer so has an override switch on the front. The light is on no matter what the override is set to. Arrrrgh!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plug the timer into the wall socket(you say it works that way) then the 4gang extension into the timer, see if that works.

Hi,

Yup that works, but means that my phone won't charge until the light comes on in the morning, so won't be charging all night. There must be a way to get this to work! It's driving me crazy!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Just tested the timer again in the wall, to make sure that I wasn't going crazy, and it now appears to not be working. D'oh! Will take it back to the shop. Thanks to all for their help!
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol..............
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    You sure you just haven't pushed the override switch by mistake (might be labelled Manual/Auto or even m/a) so that it's permanently off? Usual routine is OFF/TIMER/ON, you move through those choices by pushing the override button. What you have said suggests you have put it into OFF mode rather than TIMER.
  • Options
    KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If its a digital timer then you might want to press the reset button and then put the times in again. I had a problem when I used it at xmas for the tree lights. When I used it at the wall it was fine but I think I corrupted it when I moved it the extension. I was pulling my hair out until pressed the reset button.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all, took the timer back to the shop and got a new one, and now all is working as wanted! Thanks again!
  • Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all, took the timer back to the shop and got a new one, and now all is working as wanted! Thanks again!
    Now all you have to do is hope....... the bulb doesn't blow :D
  • Options
    macca@90macca@90 Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hijack :)

We have a downlighter light in the kitchen you know under the kitchen units. One has gone it must be the fitting. How easy is it to replace or will be need an electrician and how much will it cost? :eek:

Thanks people :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now all you have to do is hope....... the bulb doesn't blow :D

Haha, am waiting for that!! Or the power cut!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    macca@90 wrote: »

We have a downlighter light in the kitchen you know under the kitchen units. One has gone it must be the fitting. How easy is it to replace or will be need an electrician and how much will it cost? :eek:

Might be worth starting a new thread, doesn't look like people are still reading this one!
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    macca@90 wrote: »

More information required, e.g. a picture of what you are talking about.