Options

Android Jelly Bean - Samsung Ace 2

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I updated my phone today via kies on my mac. Worked fine, but after a few minutes the screen turns off and will not wake again.

I have to reboot. I've tried the factory clear settings option.

It was very stable under gingerbread :( Any ideas? :(

I imagine it has something to do with power saving, I have tried turning it off or on. It's more stable when plugged in.

Even after factory reset, hangs. Camera doesn't work, Gallery says not enough memory. Did they even test this?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tutu wrote: »
    I updated my phone today via kies on my mac. Worked fine, but after a few minutes the screen turns off and will not wake again.

I have to reboot. I've tried the factory clear settings option.

It was very stable under gingerbread :( Any ideas? :(

I imagine it has something to do with power saving, I have tried turning it off or on. It's more stable when plugged in.

Even after factory reset, hangs. Camera doesn't work, Gallery says not enough memory. Did they even test this?

Sounds worse that my phones. Samsung should be shot. Just downgrade via Odin. Nothing to see here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    dreamypuma wrote: »
    Sounds worse that my phones. Samsung should be shot. Just downgrade via Odin. Nothing to see here.

I have removed my SD card and it's stable now. Not sure why, but somehow my SD card has died (it has been working fine before the upgrade).

Also makes another phone hang (as is not recognized by my computer). Now if only I had backed up all those pics..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't think I'm gonna bother (can't do what u guy's r doing anyway due to no home internet) was waiting for three to give it to me o.t.a. but this has always been my prob. jb needs too much ram to run properly on ace 2 i have no idea why they thought it would work. when 3 mess about with it will it be slimed down to what u guy's r getting?

soz but need answers. getting very paranoid.

love always. p.b.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hijacking a thread but my s3 mini just received a fw update. It didnt change jb version though just says for stability
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Hijacking a thread but my s3 mini just received a fw update. It didnt change jb version though just says for stability

I updated the OH's S3 on Friday and it also didn't change the version. I guess it was probably just for stability as yours was.
  • Options
    markjonsonmarkjonson Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Been running this on my Ace 2 since Thursday evening, can honestly say I've had no problems at all as yet. Update went well and not noticed any of the problems mentioned above like the phone slowing down ect.

There are things I don't like about Jellybean compared with Gingerbread but that's just personal preference not the way it's actually working on my phone.
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    markjonson wrote: »
    Been running this on my Ace 2 since Thursday evening, can honestly say I've had no problems at all as yet. Update went well and not noticed any of the problems mentioned above like the phone slowing down ect.

There are things I don't like about Jellybean compared with Gingerbread but that's just personal preference not the way it's actually working on my phone.

Been runnung 2 galaxy ace2 phones, since jelly bean was released, same as you, no problems at all on either of them.

One has a memory card in it, the other doesnt.
    They are unlocked, bought from carphone warehouse, using O2.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I downloaded and installed it from sammobile and installed it using Odin. It made the phone so slow it was practically unusable. So I reverted back to gingerbread.

This was a few months ago tho, so it wasn't the uk version, think it was a Portugal one (but I was inpatient)

Maybe it will be better when the official UK version is out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I downloaded and installed it from sammobile and installed it using Odin. It made the phone so slow it was practically unusable. So I reverted back to gingerbread.

This was a few months ago tho, so it wasn't the uk version, think it was a Portugal one (but I was inpatient)

:confused:
    it is out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1saintly wrote: »
    :confused:
    it is out

When my phone updates to it then*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Their seems to be a disproportionate number of reports of lag and glitches on the official UK release, similar to the Portuguese release.

In my experience the lag and glitches are intermittent, and on the whole may go unnoticed, however when they strike they render the phone useless. The phone then needs either to be left alone to work its way out of a tantrum or at worse a battery pull.

Either way in my view it wasn't reliable enough for day to day use, so I reverted two handsets back to GB

It's easy to see why users may think the new Jelly Bean software is fine, but to see how the phone lags you need to compare the device side by side with a gingerbread install. There a huge difference in performance. Once you go back, Gingerbread feels so slick compared to Jelly Bean on the Ace 2.

It's easy to get swept away with the huge overhaul of the software and the awe of new life being injected into the handset (admittedly it JB does this) but once the shine wears and you start to become less forgiving of the glitches, JB just doesn't cut it on the Ace 2.
  • Options
    macharemachare Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Either way in my view it wasn't reliable enough for day to day use, so I reverted two handsets back to GB

How do you revert back? Does Kies let you do this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I must admit I do like the jellybean software, as there were a dew niggles with my phone that irritated me... Which aren't present in jb.

Im going to give it another go. But if it becomes too laggy, I'll be back to gb in a flash!

Machare... You use odin to revert back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    machare wrote: »
    How do you revert back? Does Kies let you do this?

Download the UK version of GB from here. BTU

The follow the instructions for installation from here. Before you install, make sure you go into recovery mode (Home Key + Voulme up+ Power key for about 4 seconds) and select wipe cache.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    skycatcher wrote: »
    read a couple of reports about laggy performance after update to jellybean...bit worried about this update as I'm very happy with the current performance!

Any news on when it's going to be rolled out to the GTI 8160 on o2 network yet?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you're lucky, o2 might not approve it's release.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're lucky, o2 might not approve it's release.;)

Or they might, then they will be like me.
    Got 2 galaxy ace2 phones, both working fine since upgrade, better OS than before.
    we are both well happy with the upgrade :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or they might, then they will be like me.
    Got 2 galaxy ace2 phones, both working fine since upgrade, better OS than before.
    we are both well happy with the upgrade :)

Just a matter of time. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just a matter of time. ;)

6 days since I updated mine and still not had a single issue with it as yet, got used to Jellybean now as well with its differences to Gingerbread. Overall still very happy with the upgrade.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Dont know about iPhone.

But upgrading youre Galaxy ace2 is a breeze.
    Get Kies for Mac, launch it, plug phone into Mac, just follow a couple of very easy instrutions, wait, sorted :D

It sounds easy, but will the men in black turtlenecks visit if I plug an Android phone into a Mac? :eek: If I decide to do it, should I use the Windows side to be safe? :p
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    My wifes Ace2 only starts lagging if she's been crushing candy for awhile. Other than that it's fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds easy, but will the men in black turtlenecks visit if I plug an Android phone into a Mac? :eek: If I decide to do it, should I use the Windows side to be safe? :p

Youve already been told, that there is a kies version for osx

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/JSP

So that follows that a samsung android phone can be plugged into osx :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok so found the first issue, anyone know how to take a screenshot on the phone since the update to Jellybean? Pushing the home button and the power button used to work perfectly but that don't work any longer, tried all sorts of suggestions and combinations using all the buttons but still no screenshot.

Why oh why can't this just be a standard feature on all androids using the same buttons, really does my head in this does. Why does android have such a problem with screenshots?

A search on Google just brings up users asking the same question. :mad:

Edit: Just found it, it is still the same combination of the home button and the power button, the difference is you now have to push them both at EXACTLY the same time and hold for about 2 seconds then it will take the screenshot.