Options

am i being capped for watching stream content?

rock8633rock8633 Posts: 1,320
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok, my brother has been stoping with me since Monday and hes a member of lovefilm and hes been watching streamed movies on his ps3,now since Monday my speed has been bad,hes watched a few movies today and ive been capped for sure,im getting 2.5mb out of 10mb download ,and 256kb out of 1mb upload.I can understand Virgin capping people for p2p and other download sites but streaming?this is all legit stuff he is watching,any help please...:mad:

Comments

• Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    rock8633 wrote: »
    Ok, my brother has been stoping with me since Monday and hes a member of lovefilm and hes been watching streamed movies on his ps3,now since Monday my speed has been bad,hes watched a few movies today and ive been capped for sure,im getting 2.5mb out of 10mb download ,and 256kb out of 1mb upload.I can understand Virgin capping people for p2p and other download sites but streaming?this is all legit stuff he is watching,any help please...:mad:

Unfortunately Traffic Management affects streamed legal content too.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy.html
  • Options
    rock8633rock8633 Posts: 1,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info mersey70, fingers crossed that my brother is going home today being trying to fix his car since Monday.Ive never been capped as much because when i download content i normally do it 9pm to 10am...
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From VM website - We moderate the total volume of file sharing traffic on our network between 5pm and midnight on weekdays and midday and midnight on weekends. This policy is restricted to Peer to Peer ("P2P") applications and Newsgroups (which are commonly used to distribute large amounts of data)

This policy does not impact any applications other than Peer to Peer and Newsgroups, so things like watching iPlayer, online gaming, making calls via Skype, downloading music tracks from iTunes or streaming them from Spotify and sending an email or normal browsing are unaffected.
    Is Lovefilm a P2P or iPlayer type service?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the website you are just streaming the content but at a speed of around 1.6Mbps and you should really have a connection with the capacity of 2Mbps which points towards 20Mb connection and above as a requirement so your 10Mb connection is to low, as the movies stream at near DVD quality so I would say that a movie of that size would quickly get you traffic managed.

http://www.lovefilm.com/features/detail.html?editorial_id=29959
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    petey286 wrote: »
    According to the website you are just streaming the content but at a speed of around 1.6Mbps and you should really have a connection with the capacity of 2Mbps which points towards 20Mb connection and above as a requirement so your 10Mb connection is to low, as the movies stream at near DVD quality so I would say that a movie of that size would quickly get you traffic managed.

You appear to be mixing up Megabits (Mb) and Megabytes (MB).

A 10Mb connection should be fine for number of 1.6Mb streams.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goomba wrote: »
    You appear to be mixing up Megabits (Mb) and Megabytes (MB).

A 10Mb connection should be fine for number of 1.6Mb streams.
    Click the link as the figures are from their website which I just copied, and it should really be Megabytes per second which a 10Meg Virginmedia line is incapable of supporting without it being traffic managed.

So if someone is streaming movies their speed will be traffic managed as soon as they hit the limits what else do you think has triggered the traffic management, next time think before trying to be pedantic:rolleyes:.

1.6MBps is more than a 10meg line is capable of sustaining as in the link below which shows how to run a speed test on a Virginmedia connection.

http://www.virginmedia.com/testmyspeed/manual.php
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Click the link as the figures are from their website which I just copied, and it should really be Megabytes per second which a 10Meg Virginmedia line is incapable of supporting without it being traffic managed.

So if someone is streaming movies their speed will be traffic managed as soon as they hit the limits what else do you think has triggered the traffic management, next time think before trying to be pedantic:rolleyes:.

1.6MBps is more than a 10meg line is capable of sustaining as in the link below which shows how to run a speed test on a Virginmedia connection.

http://www.virginmedia.com/testmyspeed/manual.php

Lovefilm recommend a speed "of at least 2Mb per second" and say they stream at "1.6 Mbps". They are quoting in Megabits per second. A 10Mbps line quite easily copes with at least 2Mbps.

I may be pedantic, but you are still mixing up Megabits and Megabytes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lovefilm recommend a speed "of at least 2Mb per second" and say they stream at "1.6 Mbps". They are quoting in Megabits per second. A 10Mbps line quite easily copes with at least 2Mbps.

I may be pedantic, but you are still mixing up Megabits and Megabytes.
    I let them mix it up I just copied and pasted their figures.

As the OP has only been traffic managed since his brother started streaming movies it points directly to it being the problem and very likely they have put the wrong bits instead of bytes so blame them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I let them mix it up I just copied and pasted their figures.

As the OP has only been traffic managed since his brother started streaming movies it points directly to it being the problem and very likely they have put the wrong bits instead of bytes so blame them.

OK, the web site you are quoting from is wrong and you are right. :D

I suspect its the other way round though. You can easily stream at that sort of quality using 2Mbps (Megabits).
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mersey70 wrote: »
    Unfortunately Traffic Management affects streamed legal content too.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy.html

AFAIK stream media is NOT supposed to managed however it is in the download cap so if you are not on 50mb and within the cap period then lovefilms will be effected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, the web site you are quoting from is wrong and you are right. :D

I suspect its the other way round though. You can easily stream at that sort of quality using 2Mbps (Megabits).
    I just copied from their site, are you aware you can do that, as you can see what they have printed, no movie streams that slow either at that quality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I just copied from their site, are you aware you can do that, as you can see what they have printed, no movie streams that slow either at that quality.

You didn't just copy from their site. Their site says 1.6Mbps. That's with a small b for bits. You are claiming that its 1.6MBps. That's a big B for Bytes. What they are printed and what you have said are different.

VM sell their tiers at Mbps. So when Lovefilm say they recommend 2Mbps, 10Mbps is plenty. Of course VM will still cap you in the end.

They are not HD movies, only SD. A bit rate of 1.6Mbps is plenty for that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You didn't just copy from their site. Their site says 1.6Mbps. That's with a small b for bits. You are claiming that its 1.6MBps. That's a big B for Bytes. What they are printed and what you have said are different.

VM sell their tiers at Mbps. So when Lovefilm say they recommend 2Mbps, 10Mbps is plenty. Of course VM will still cap you in the end.

They are not HD movies, only SD. A bit rate of 1.6Mbps is plenty for that.
    Even so it will be just a typo, but you are still wrong regardless as otherwise he would not be traffic managed which coincided with the movies being streamed.

But of course you cannot think outside of the box.

Now if you had originally posted about a possible typo instead of googling an explanation to post we would not be here, but you are obviously akin to a pot that more than likely finds pancakes good to toss.;)
  • Options
    SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »

From VM website - We moderate the total volume of file sharing traffic on our network between 5pm and midnight on weekdays and midday and midnight on weekends. This policy is restricted to Peer to Peer ("P2P") applications and Newsgroups (which are commonly used to distribute large amounts of data)

This policy does not impact any applications other than Peer to Peer and Newsgroups, so things like watching iPlayer, online gaming, making calls via Skype, downloading music tracks from iTunes or streaming them from Spotify and sending an email or normal browsing are unaffected.

Is Lovefilm a P2P or iPlayer type service?

I've just read your post including the quote. . .

VM's traffic management only applies to P2P services?!?!? :D:D:D

So I can download off iTunes, download PlayStation Demo's. . .watch Sky Mobile TV all without being throttled?!?!?!

EXCELLENT NEWS :D
  • Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soundburst wrote: »
    VM's traffic management only applies to P2P services?!?!? :D:D:D

It's so poorly worded.

Three of the examples they give of non-P2P use are nothing but P2P.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member

1.6 MegaBytes per second is 12.8Mbps and the average UK broadband is way way less than that so if your assertion is correct LoveFilm shouldn't have any customers.

SD quality streamed video doesn't need 12Mbps or anything close to it so the figures quoted on the LoveFilm site are correct and you are wrong.

The VM STM threshold is purely data based - there is no distinction between streaming and downloading.

The shaping is supposed to apply only to P2P and NNTP but some streaming is done using P2P type protocols.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    It's so poorly worded.

Three of the examples they give of non-P2P use are nothing but P2P.

So they're lying :(

If I streamed Sky Sports constantly and downloaded 1gb of demo's off the net I'll still get capped :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    So they're lying
    No. It seems that people are either incapable of reading or place their own bizarre interpretations on what they do read.

STM apples to all data passing over the connection.

In addition shaping applies to P2P and NNTP

What is so difficult to understand about that?
  • Options
    The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lovefilm website says movies are streamed at 1.6Mbps.
    Virgins speeds are 10Mbps, 20Mbps, 50Mbps.
    ...so easily enough speed on either. Theres still many many people on xDSL connections that struggle to average out at 1.6Mbps.

1.6Mbps is like 200KB/s, thats 12MB of data per minute. 720MB per hour.

So after 2 hours of streaming from lovefilm, during 4pm - 9pm, your speed is reduced to 2.5Mbps instead of the normal 10.
    Or after 4 hours of streaming from lovefilm, during 10am - 3pm, your speed is reduced to 2.5Mbps instead of the normal 10.

At 2.5Mbps, your brother was using 1.6, leaving you with little more than half a meg.

No worries tho, within the next few months the people on 10Mb will get free upgrade to 20Mb at no extra monthly cost. Same for people on 20 they are going to 50 just the same. People on the 50Mb will just get it a cheaper monthly price. This isnt fact in the official sense, but is fact judging from previous upgrades since 512Kbps broadband was released. The new 50Mb modem/hub will probably be free, i mean VM are going to be being a very large bulk order of it, reduced cost and all that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    No. It seems that people are either incapable of reading or place their own bizarre interpretations on what they do read.

STM apples to all data passing over the connection.

In addition shaping applies to P2P and NNTP

What is so difficult to understand about that?

Huh?

STM. . . if you download over 3000mb you get capped?

Additional Shaping to P2P?. . . What?

In what way are those different - I've no idea. Surely the P2P is included in the download 3000mb limit so why are there two sections (STM and P2P)
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Huh?

STM. . . if you download over 3000mb you get capped?

Additional Shaping to P2P?. . . What?

In what way are those different - I've no idea. Surely the P2P is included in the download 3000mb limit so why are there two sections (STM and P2P)

STM applies to ALL traffic - P2P and non-P2P. It does nothing until you hit the threshold and then your speeds get reduced for ALL traffic.

Traffic shaping - applies only to P2P traffic and within the time periods mentioned, this is always applied irrespective of how much you have downloaded/uploaded.

The two forms of traffic management are independent of each other.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even so it will be just a typo, but you are still wrong regardless as otherwise he would not be traffic managed which coincided with the movies being streamed.

But of course you cannot think outside of the box.

Now if you had originally posted about a possible typo instead of googling an explanation to post we would not be here, but you are obviously akin to a pot that more than likely finds pancakes good to toss.;)

2Mb for an SD stream is pretty standard. That's what a decent iPlayer stream needs too. 12Mb and above is what is needed for an HD stream.

Lovefilm have got it right. 10Mb should be fine for this, always.
  • Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_One wrote: »
    No worries tho, within the next few months the people on 10Mb will get free upgrade to 20Mb at no extra monthly cost. Same for people on 20 they are going to 50 just the same. People on the 50Mb will just get it a cheaper monthly price. This isnt fact in the official sense, but is fact judging from previous upgrades since 512Kbps broadband was released. The new 50Mb modem/hub will probably be free, i mean VM are going to be being a very large bulk order of it, reduced cost and all that.

This is not going to happen for many reasons:

1) Virgin Media's network is really under a lot of strain at the moment. In many areas, the upload speed increase that is rolling out (giving all packages a 10:1 downstream:upstream ratio) will take a very long time because the network in those areas hasn't seen enough investment.

In order to complete the upload increase in these areas, a large investment will need to be made by Virgin Media. This has the potential to cost hundreds of thousands of pounds in each area - and that is only enough to maintain current subscriber levels and service quality.

Many areas are heavily oversubscribed, with even more investment required to maintain adequate service levels - with or without any speed increases.

A further speed increase (either from 10>20 or 20>50) would only cost more on top of these upgrades and in many areas would require significant additional expenditure with NO extra income for VM.

2) Even if the network was able to support these higher speeds for everyone, the modems that most people on the 20mbps package have aren't suitable for 50mbps. The cost of upgrading those modems would be very high. With the cost of the above upgrades really pulling on Virgin Media's purse strings, it's unlikely that they would want to spend so much to upgrade their packages.

The only rumour I have seen that makes some sense is an upgrade from 20 to 25mbps. This wouldn't cost as much to implement on the network, wouldn't require new modems and would be more relevant in the market (with many ISPs touting "up to" 22mbps packages).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    googling an explanation to post

This stuff is elementary to anybody with some knowledge of computing :D Obviously something people working on broadband tech support for VM lack :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    petey286 you really have got your BYTES and bits mixed up here