Options

100Mb/s Broadband pricing

Comments

• Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think I can justify a £10 a month increase in my bill especially with TIVO coming - so is this VIP100 about £107.00 a month
  • Options
    Awshum-YawnAwshum-Yawn Posts: 1,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any ideas of when Belfast will get it?

Feeling slightly left out now.
  • Options
    TAZMANUKTAZMANUK Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BenMcr77 wrote: »
    Glad to hear it got all sorted.

Although as I said earlier the actual offer for existing 50Mbit customers to go to 100Mbit is both free activation and free installation.

Do we require a new modem or just send new config file to modem
  • Options
    BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    TAZMANUK wrote: »
    Do we require a new modem or just send new config file to modem
    You require a SuperHub for 100Mbit
  • Options
    TAZMANUKTAZMANUK Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You require a SuperHub for 100Mbit

Oh cool might ave to look into that in sep 11 when in my area then cheers ben
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    dont think i will bother
  • Options
    timpotimpo Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me neither, they'll come up with some sort of excuse to throttle it just like they did with the 50Mb..:mad:
  • Options
    jab4earsjab4ears Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Do these prices include the new VAT increase?
    Is there a webpage for the new VIP100?
  • Options
    cbram1970cbram1970 Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    jab4ears wrote: »
    Do these prices include the new VAT increase?
    Is there a webpage for the new VIP100?

I dont see how the price will include the vat increase at it isn't actually taking effect until the end of Jan 2011. Knowing VM the rollout of 100 meg service will baffle most people, ie how they enable somewhere with a lower population count than somewhere like a main city.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cbram1970 wrote: »
    I dont see how the price will include the vat increase at it isn't actually taking effect until the end of Jan 2011. Knowing VM the rollout of 100 meg service will baffle most people, ie how they enable somewhere with a lower population count than somewhere like a main city.

The VAT rise actually takes effect from January 4th.
    In addition to the rise in VAT which comes into effect on 4 January

Taken from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11985874.

I know from speaking to various friends that shops around here have already started adding the new VAT rate so it wouldn't surprise me if Virgin Media started it early. (That is to say those who work in the shops that have started calculating prices at the new rate)

Personally though I don't think they will. They have got a lot of sorting out to do to square up customers bills.
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    without getting into the unfathomable costs based on prices on the website, what happened to 100MB being £7 more than the 50MB, as was reported earlier IIRC?

Iain
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    It was but 50Mbps went down in price (from £28 to £25 after discount)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    It was but 50Mbps went down in price (from £28 to £25 after discount)

oh, OK. so basically we didn't get that £3 saving, as the bills still show £45 for the 50MB broadband, and a £20.95 bundle discount.

thanks Virgin!

EDIT : quick check, and we're currently paying a total of £68.49 for triple XL, but the quoted price on the website for that bundle is currently £65.30. might have to give them a quick call....

(unless Ben comes along and tells me i've misread something somewhere....)

Iain :)
  • Options
    The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iain, they wont automatically reduce your bill because the price youre paying is for an old contract, so you have to phone them to renew it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gave them a call today, and they've increased the bundle discount by £3.99, so that'll do. it all helps!

Iain :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Test results so far

Download Speed: 87425 kbps (10928.1 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 9123 kbps (1140.4 KB/sec )

Anyone got any good speed testing sites for 100Mb/s? Speedtest.net only goes upto 50Mb/s!
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redpizza wrote: »
    Test results so far

Download Speed: 87425 kbps (10928.1 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 9123 kbps (1140.4 KB/sec )

Anyone got any good speed testing sites for 100Mb/s? Speedtest.net only goes upto 50Mb/s!

It may just carry on beyond 50, according to this link
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    It may just carry on beyond 50, according to this link
    The modems have a set config so anything like the speeds in that link are not possible and it will be to do with the browser possibly cached or even good old Kaspersky causing strange readings.

50Mb is set to 53Mb to cover overheads but many actually achieve that but no one is going to to get silly speeds as per that link.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    deleted
  • Options
    pericompericom Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    Most websites and internet services can't handle 100mb. Those services that can handle it like usenet & bittorrents are throttled by VM anyway.

So it will only ever go fast on speedtest.net and now it appears it cant even go full speed on that.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pericom wrote: »
    Most websites and internet services can't handle 100mb. Those services that can handle it like usenet & bittorrents are throttled by VM anyway.

So it will only ever go fast on speedtest.net and now it appears it cant even go full speed on that.

throttled during some periods of the day.

And 100mb comes into it own when you have multiple devices accessing the internet at the same time.
  • Options
    NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Folks, can I just check - is there any indication yet that 50mb is being throttled yet, or is it speculation after 100mb is available in each area?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Noiseboy wrote: »
    Folks, can I just check - is there any indication yet that 50mb is being throttled yet, or is it speculation after 100mb is available in each area?
    50Mbit along with all the other broadband services is subject to the P2P and Newsgroups management

It also has upstream STM if you have the 5Mbit upload
  • Options
    NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    50Mbit along with all the other broadband services is subject to the P2P and Newsgroups management

It also has upstream STM if you have the 5Mbit upload

Thanks Ben - as a virgin newbie (a virgin virgin, if you will)... what is the peer to peer / newsgroup management, and what is an STM?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Noiseboy wrote: »
    Thanks Ben - as a virgin newbie (a virgin virgin, if you will)... what is the peer to peer / newsgroup management, and what is an STM?
    Full details are here http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.html