Didn't get paid my JSA because apparently I've changed my address? Someone help!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
Forum Member
✭✭
So I've been signing on since January and usually have no problems with the Jobcentre. I've had 8 interviews this year including one only four days ago where I was interviewing for a position in a hospital. I prove I look for work and generally get no hassle.

Anyway on Thursday I got a text message and email from the DWP with this message -
We have received a change in circumstances to your Job Seeker’s Allowance claim but are unable to process it until we have received your change of address. A letter has been sent to you along with a pre-paid envelope. Failure to return the information promptly may result in a further delay in processing your claim.

I haven't changed address OR made a new claim. I was at the Jobcentre on Wednesday (the day before I got this message) and signed on fine. I didn't get any mail from them yesterday or this morning, and when I checked my bank today I discovered I hadn't been paid by them! I called up the "benefit enquiries" number on my booklet and asked why I hadn't been paid my JSA to which some ******** said "awwwww petal. And what do you want me to do about it?" then hung up the phone. I actually sat frozen for about 10 seconds after this wondering what the hell had happened. My Jobcentre is shut because it's the weekend and the main DWP in our area's number has been engaged for over an hour. These numbers also cost a fortune to call up and I simply can't afford it. I don't have a penny to my name. My parents are on holidayicon next week and I'm supposed to run the house myself for a week and buy my own food and pay the gas/electricty etc plus I have a phone bill to pay and also rent money. I simply can't go without money!!!

What on earth do I do?? Why has this happened? Has this happened to anyone else??

Comments

• cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    It sounds like a mistake on their part (Not something that helps you) But it should be fixable....Only issue is how long it takes, Get down there monday morning and demand they call up for you to get it fixed

Is there anything that maybe you have not told them that could have got back to them?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    It sounds like a mistake on their part (Not something that helps you) But it should be fixable....Only issue is how long it takes, Get down there monday morning and demand they call up for you to get it fixed

Is there anything that maybe you have not told them that could have got back to them?

That's what I thought, that maybe they had mixed me up with someone with the same name as me. There's nothing I can think of that I've done/am doing wrong. It's very random.

I'm seething with anger, though. I know I'm only a 20 year old guy with no real responsibilities but having no money at all is quite frightening.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,405
    Forum Member
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    That's what I thought, that maybe they had mixed me up with someone with the same name as me. There's nothing I can think of that I've done/am doing wrong. It's very random.

I'm seething with anger, though. I know I'm only a 20 year old guy with no real responsibilities but having no money at all is quite frightening.

Your annoyance is understandable but you can't afford to get pissy with them in the local office because you need to get them onside to help you sort out this mess. If you're stuck and can't buy food, for example, ask for a foodbank referral and if you need help in sorting out this DWP mistake then any one of your nearest local council benefits advice unit, community law centre or Citizens Advice Bureau (plug in your postcode here http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/get_advice.htm?gclid=CL6T-dKLi78CFSEcwwodvBIAKw) ough to be able to help you. Good luck!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your annoyance is understandable but you can't afford to get pissy with them in the local office because you need to get them onside to help you sort out this mess. If you're stuck and can't buy food, for example, ask for a foodbank referral and if you need help in sorting out this DWP mistake then any one of your nearest local council benefits advice unit, community law centre or Citizens Advice Bureau (plug in your postcode here http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/get_advice.htm?gclid=CL6T-dKLi78CFSEcwwodvBIAKw) ough to be able to help you. Good luck!

Didn't think of Citizens Advice. Thanks very much!!
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't think of Citizens Advice. Thanks very much!!

Unlikely to see you right away.
    The only time i ever needed to see them they tried to give me an appointment for two weeks hence.
  • Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    I'm confused. If they think they need your address, which address are they planning to write to?
  • wkdboy1wkdboy1 Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    Just phone them up try and sort it over the phone first. If no joy then go to the jobcentre in person. Do not annoy them as they are busy and it will really piss them off, then they wont want to help you. Once you have proved that you have not changed address they will do a same day bank payment of your normal benefit. If you have incurred charges because of their mistake, then tell them and ask them to compensate you for the charges that are not your fault, and they will pay the charges as long as you can prove it was their fault. Don't worry about it too much, they will sort it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm confused. If they think they need your address, which address are they planning to write to?

You seem to be under the misapprehension that anything the DWP do makes sense.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Wednesday signees got paid on Mondays?

I thought the contact centre lines were only open M-F?

Why didnt you phone on Thursday when you received the odd text/email?

Think this may have been a prank/scam of some sort?
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    getzls wrote: »
    Unlikely to see you right away.
    The only time i ever needed to see them they tried to give me an appointment for two weeks hence.

It depends on the branch. Some are appointment only and some are walk in but you have to get there early.
  • angelbabyxangelbabyx Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I called up the "benefit enquiries" number on my booklet and asked why I hadn't been paid my JSA to which some ******** said "awwwww petal. And what do you want me to do about it?" then hung up the phone.

My. gosh. why would anyone say that to you ?? what an absolutely horrible, right wing person.

:confused:
  • OcadoOcado Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Wednesday signees got paid on Mondays?

I thought the contact centre lines were only open M-F?

Why didnt you phone on Thursday when you received the odd text/email?

Think this may have been a prank/scam of some sort?

When I signed on after leaving college, I signed on a Wednesday but for some reason it would as available to draw on a Saturday morning.
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    Benefit enquries are the worst.
    The irony is some of them don't desevre their jobs & are totally rubbish at it. They are always messing things up.
    We have been left nearly homeless twice because of mistakes they have made with our claim. No fault of our own.
    Half the unemployed they probably laugh at once they out thew phone down could do a better job.
    It is a pain even getting through to them , so much redirecting & different numbers.

http://www.saynoto0870.com - if you search for the relevant number you can get free alterntive numbers to call.
    We thankfully have it on our sky package to get free calls to 0845 numbers. Has saved us a fortune. When they messed up once we spent £20 at least on calls.
    Again irony , people on benefits are hardly loaded yet they make it worse by extortionate call costs/

Your sitatution is unusal. Though incompetent staff we have spoke to have never been so rude as that. You should make a formal complaint. Not sure if they log who you would have spoke to but you should have made a note of the exact time you phone. They might have been able to track the vile person down.

Wait till monday. Try them again on the free number. Try citizens advice also like others have said. They can refer you to the food bank for food. Also they might be able to advise you on what has happened.
    If nothing works on the phone maybe take the letter ot the job centre and get them to make sure it is genuine. They should say what you need to do next to correct the error.

Good luck OP. They are very frustrating those in the office. Totally oppoiste to lovely helpful JSA staff on the floor.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xNATILLYx wrote: »
    Benefit enquries are the worst.
    The irony is some of them don't desevre their jobs & are totally rubbish at it. They are always messing things up.
    We have been left nearly homeless twice because of mistakes they have made with our claim. No fault of our own.
    Half the unemployed they probably laugh at once they out thew phone down could do a better job.
    It is a pain even getting through to them , so much redirecting & different numbers.

http://www.saynoto0870.com - if you search for the relevant number you can get free alterntive numbers to call.
    We thankfully have it on our sky package to get free calls to 0845 numbers. Has saved us a fortune. When they messed up once we spent £20 at least on calls.
    Again irony , people on benefits are hardly loaded yet they make it worse by extortionate call costs/

Your sitatution is unusal. Though incompetent staff we have spoke to have never been so rude as that. You should make a formal complaint. Not sure if they log who you would have spoke to but you should have made a note of the exact time you phone. They might have been able to track the vile person down.

Wait till monday. Try them again on the free number. Try citizens advice also like others have said. They can refer you to the food bank for food. Also they might be able to advise you on what has happened.
    If nothing works on the phone maybe take the letter ot the job centre and get them to make sure it is genuine. They should say what you need to do next to correct the error.

Good luck OP. They are very frustrating those in the office. Totally oppoiste to lovely helpful JSA staff on the floor.

^ As per this post the DWP now have introduced 03 numbers, which are free (included in bundled minutes) for 95% of landline and mobile users.

Main, national JSA & ESA call-centre: 0345 608 8545

Contacting your local Jobcentre (for appointment changes etc): 0345 604 3719
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    " My parents are on holidayicon next week and I'm supposed to run the house myself for a week and buy my own food and pay the gas/electricty etc plus I have a phone bill to pay and also rent money. I simply can't go without money!!!"

I just want to check, do you live with your parents? What you say above doesn't make it clear to me, if you do still live with them, haven't they left you the money for the rent? It's not normally paid weekly, have they left you the money for utilities or are they on a token meter, is it the home landline or your own mobile bill that needs paying?

If you have been left money by your parents to pay the rent / utilities then they shouldn't be an issue. If they haven't left you money then you need to ring the suppliers and landlord to inform them of the situation, tell them you are on it and will update them in 24 hours.

Food wise, ask for a referral to the nearest food bank if your parents didn't leave any food in the fridge or cupboards, if you have food use that because you can only have three food bank referrals, so if you don't need one, don't use one.( at least that's the case in my neck of the woods)

If you have your own place and you are house sitting for your parents, is there anyway ANY Government dept could be aware of this and wrongly assume their address is your new address? They do share a computer and if one dept records a new address, it send a notification to a central system and could have been picked up from there.

If you haven't moved ask them where their information about a new address came from and how they were notified about it, ask them for the address and see if you recognise it from your past maybe. Once you have confirmed you haven't moved ask them to make a same day payment into your bank account , payment should then clear in your bank to draw on by midnight
  • snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what happened then?
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    angelbabyx wrote: »
    My. gosh. why would anyone say that to you ?? what an absolutely horrible, right wing person.

:confused:

Oh, it's easy enough.

One of the women at our local job centre wrote the number "1" in the bizarre european way that looks like a "7". The resultant phone number came through to our office kitchen.

After the initial polite "sorry, not us". Some of the staff used to use the calls as a bit of comedy diversion in the lunch hour.