Options

What do you do with your pets when you go on holiday?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just wondering what everybody else does.

For a few years, we put our cat in the cattery each year for two weeks at a time but I hated doing it. I came away in tears every time and felt so guilty.

Fortunately now I have enough family members that usually I can rope somebody else into helping out. My parents look after the dog and cat at my boyfriend's house when he and I go away with his family. My boyfriend and I look after my parents pets when they go away. My brother is given my rabbit any time I go away, he doesn't really get a choice about it. I also regularly look after my cousins guinea pigs.

Do you use catterys or kennels or do you get family members to help out? Do you ever have to look after somebody elses pets and is it a lot of hassle? Or do you avoid holidays because you dont want to leave the pets alone?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We always take the dog with us. We caravan so it's not a problem.

We don't even leave him in the house alone.
  • Options
    mach2001mach2001 Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    We leave our dog with our trainer she has 6 dogs for him to play with and a big field out the back to run in so he loves it when he goes there.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    My Impossible Princess used a small cattery in some lovely woman's back garden.

One time her pen was being used by a cat who had given birth so she got the run of the house and had a lovely time.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    I left the two kittens in the cattery as i had to go away for a few days. I genuinely felt terrible about it as id only had the wee dudes for a few weeks and i felt like i shouldnt be disrupting them so early in their lives.

I returned to find that they had a more luxurious few days in the cattery than i did in the hotel i was staying in.....

In future i will send the cats away on business and stay in the cattery myself.
  • Options
    maybemaybe Posts: 4,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Either/or - depending on the availability of friends, which is my first choice.

Having said that, I haven't kennelled my dog for some time as she's very old and I wouldn't like to leave her without someone who can give her proper attention and who would know her ways.

The cats seem happier in a cattery - they get a bit freaked out by 'guests'.

I have friends who have a dog which they leave with me when they go away, and I often look after the cat next door.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    We used to put ours in a cattery, but only Leo enjoys it, cos he usually manages to get invited indoors. We now get someone to come in twice a day and feed them at home, unless one of the kids doesn't come, in which case, no problem.
  • Options
    michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dog is coming with us and we'd originally planned to take the diabetic cat with us because I couldn't find a cattery that would accept him, but I've finally found one that will not only take him, but also take him into their house at night so they can keep a closer eye on him.

I'm still not entirely comfortable about leaving him but the cattery owners seem to know their stuff and have promised to keep me updated with how he's getting on. Our other cat will be staying with them too, but he's happy anywhere as long as he has food! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those of you who use boarding kennels, please be sure to check them out beforehand. If a kennel owner will not let you see the actual kennels, disregard them straight away. There are so many unreputable kennels about. In my local area there are plenty, and only 2 in 20 mile radius I would be happy to recommend.

One horror story of late, comes from a customer of my mother's. The woman went to pick her 8 yr old standard poodle up a day late as she didn't get home in enough time to pick him up on the agreed day. When she arrived, she was met at the gates by some of the staff, who told her her dog had died the previous night. The daft woman was more concerned with how upset the staff appeared to be. She did not have a post-mortem carried out on the dog either. I bet that cheered the kennel staff up.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    digami wrote: »
    Those of you who use boarding kennels, please be sure to check them out beforehand. If a kennel owner will not let you see the actual kennels, disregard them straight away. There are so many unreputable kennels about. In my local area there are plenty, and only 2 in 20 mile radius I would be happy to recommend.

One horror story of late, comes from a customer of my mother's. The woman went to pick her 8 yr old standard poodle up a day late as she didn't get home in enough time to pick him up on the agreed day. When she arrived, she was met at the gates by some of the staff, who told her her dog had died the previous night. The daft woman was more concerned with how upset the staff appeared to be. She did not have a post-mortem carried out on the dog either. I bet that cheered the kennel staff up.

I dont understand what the complaint is?
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont go on holiday.

I have had my dogs for 6yrs now, i havent been away once. We are thinking next year that we might go on a caravan holiday, so they can come with us.

Im not sure how my dogs would cope in a kennels as we havent been parted once and they are very spoilt. So - i wouldn't take the chance on them being unhappy.

When i had cats i once left them for 3 days in a cattery, and they didn't eat once in 3 days. I never did that again. When i went abroad after that my Mum and Dad looked after them. They cats loved it as they were spoilt rotten. It was a home from home to them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never had to put my dog in a kennel and I don't think I'd like to. We've had holidays in the UK and Ireland where we've taken him with us. There have only been a couple of occasions where we've had to go away completely for a few days and leave him with someone else.

Our cats are always MUCH happier when left in their own house. The cattery wasn't so bad when we had two cats so they had each other but then one of our cats died and the other one would get really withdrawn and miserable alone in the cattery. When we go away and leave him in the house (with somebody coming in several times a day) he might get a bit lonely but always seems happier than he does in the cattery. Our cat REALLY hates the cattery and when we get him back, he always seems to take some time to recover from it too. The cattery seems fine though, has great reviews from other people, and all the other animals there seem happy enough but our cat just doesn't like being taken away from home.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    We've had Winnie (a cat) for a year now. I know at some point I will want to go on holiday, but I would hate to put her into a cattery. Our neighbours have cats so I would like to think that they would check on her/feed her while we were away. I hate the idea of leaving her for 2 weeks though. :( I miss her if I'm away from her a day, let alone 2 weeks!

She's my baby.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We went away recently and my son looked after the cats. He had too get a neighbour in to help put eye drops in one of my cats but i look after there cats and my son walks his dogs so its a mutal thing. I wouldnt leave mine in a cattery as the cost would probaly me more than the price of the holiday( i have 15). Might be going away again during the holidays so my son (21) will be looking after them but i do get the neighbour to keep a check on my son.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    I dont understand what the complaint is?

Sorry, I should have expained it a bit better. The kennels in question don't have a good reputation anyway. The dog was a healthy 8 yr old which begs the question how did it die in their care? It is also suspicious that the owners were told it died the evening they were supposed to pick it up yet were not informed until they arrived to pick it up the next morning.
  • Options
    dodgygeezadodgygeeza Posts: 6,350
    Forum Member
    Cat goes to a cattery if it's more than a few days. If we are only away for the weekend he stays at home and a friend/neighbour is happy to pop in to feed him and let him out for a bit.

Snake is perfectly happy to be let alone for a week or two as long as she's fed and water bowl filled up before we go :)
  • Options
    Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    I take my dog with me.
    He comes camping with me maybe 10 or 12 times a year (usually 2 to 4 days at a time) - and when my wife and myself go away for a longer period, we hire a place which allows dogs.
    We've not been out of the UK in the 3 yrs since we got him as a puppy, but if we do intend to go somewhere abroad, I'll check out the feasibility of pet-passports.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We also haven't been abroad since we got Freddy. We go camping now in the UK. I even take him to work with me if OH is working away. OH says he misses going abroad but I'm not bothered really.
  • Options
    Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has to be a cattery for me. I tried getting a neighbour in, but my cat hates all other people and is only tolerant when I am around. She is indoor/outdoor and I left a back window open for her, but neighbouring cats got in, ate her food and bullied her. I can't expect my elderly neighbour to go searching rooms and in small hidey holes to check that she is fine. At least when she is at the cattery I use, there is a vet on site, the staff monitor eating and toilet habits and make sure that they get attention. Where possible they put her out of view of other cats. If I could take her with me, I would, but a cat isn't as portable as a dog. I am happier going away knowing that she is being well cared for.
  • Options
    gertrude hubblegertrude hubble Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I'm away for a few days my parents pop round to see to the cats twice a day, but if i'm away longer than that they go to a cattery. It's a lovely cattery but I still hate leaving them there
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't go on holiday! I was hospitalised for a week unexpectedly (some years ago) and my cat was looked after by friends who kindly visited daily.

When I returned, he'd lost weight (hadn't eaten that well). Neighbours said they'd heard him crying of an evening (for attention / to be let out / who knows)? I decided that unless I could get someone to properly "live in", I wouldn't leave him on his own again.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've had Amber since July 2008 and not been on holiday (together) since.

We're away for a long weekend soon and will just get my Mum (or OH's Mum) to pop in once or twice to top up Amber's food and water.

I'd never put her in a cattery so I guess next time we have a proper holiday someone will have to nip in every other day to check on cat etc...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,333
    Forum Member
    I always make sure someone goes in to feed them. My Dad's great and has friends who live near me who are always willing to help too :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We always think of our pet sitters as the price of another ticket, so usually it's a pet sitter who comes and stays at the house or taking the dog to a sitter, socts a bit but my mind is at ease!