Passenger charged £155 for getting off train one stop early

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
Forum Member
✭✭✭
How ridiculous is this?!

http://travel.uk.msn.com/news/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=154787558

A man had a train ticket from Birmingham to Durham but decided to get off one stop early at Darlington and was asked to pay £155 for breaching the terms of his ticket.

Comments

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the £155 charge would have been ridiculous, but it was never actually paid. From that report:
    The train operator East Coast later waived the excess fare charge, as it accepted he made a genuine mistake... ...After receiving his complaint, the train company said it would waive the charge as a gesture of goodwill.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sleepydove wrote: »
    How ridiculous is this?!

http://travel.uk.msn.com/news/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=154787558

A man had a train ticket from Birmingham to Durham but decided to get off one stop early at Darlington and was asked to pay £155 for breaching the terms of his ticket.
    I can understand some of the logic. As he paid in advance it's possible that he prevented another customer from taking a seat (it would show on the system as being occupied and presumably has a reservation tag on it). The rail company might argue that that has a negative impact on their business because someone might have been forced to go to a competitor or been annoyed at having to stand next to an empty seat.

But let's face it - he's paid for the journey and I really don't think that one extra empty seat for just one stop would really annoy people enough to cost the railway any money.

I think the most likely explanation is that it was a cheap deal and because they are so complicated to work out the railways decided it was safer to always insist on the full journey rather than someone working out how to get something cheaper by getting off early. A bit like someone discovering that a return ticket was cheaper than a single so they book the return and only go one way. A colleague did this at work several years ago on an extended business trip by air. One return would have expired due to the length of his stay but he found that two returns was cheaper than two singles.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    Yes, the £155 charge would have been ridiculous, but it was never actually paid. From that report:

No, it wasn't paid, but that doesn't make it any less ridiculous :confused: Especially as the train company didn't accept that there was anything wrong with the charge, they still think it was fair to ask the man to pay it and only waived it when he continued to make complains.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »

But it should not have been requested at all really should it? Someone should be able to get off at any stop that is on that route and forfeit the rest of the journey.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    I can understand some of the logic. As he paid in advance it's possible that he prevented another customer from taking a seat (it would show on the system as being occupied and presumably has a reservation tag on it). The rail company might argue that that has a negative impact on their business because someone might have been forced to go to a competitor or been annoyed at having to stand next to an empty seat.

But let's face it - he's paid for the journey and I really don't think that one extra empty seat for just one stop would really annoy people enough to cost the railway any money.

I think the most likely explanation is that it was a cheap deal and because they are so complicated to work out the railways decided it was safer to always insist on the full journey rather than someone working out how to get something cheaper by getting off early. A bit like someone discovering that a return ticket was cheaper than a single so they book the return and only go one way. A colleague did this at work several years ago on an extended business trip by air. One return would have expired due to the length of his stay but he found that two returns was cheaper than two singles.

But people don't get charged for not turning up and using their train ticket at all so why should he be charged for not using one section of it? Surely if you pay from Birmingham to Durham then you've paid for a seat from Birmingham to DUrham - whether or not you actually use that seat for the entire time is irrelevant. It's YOUR seat, for that period of time, to be sat in whenever you wish!
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good ol Rip-Off Britain eh?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But people don't get charged for not turning up and using their train ticket at all so why should he be charged for not using one section of it? Surely if you pay from Birmingham to Durham then you've paid for a seat from Birmingham to DUrham - whether or not you actually use that seat for the entire time is irrelevant. It's YOUR seat, for that period of time, to be sat in whenever you wish!
    I'd be inclined to agree (as I wrote) but there is another way of looking at it. As a result of his actions a seat might have sat empty for no good reason. That might have annoyed someone sufficiently for them to complain to the company. That might lead to them being fined by the rail regulator.

But more likely I think it's related to the discount scheme I mentioned. Discounts are often based on making more efficient use of resources. It's entirely possible for a discount to make a longer journey cheaper than a shorter one. I have no idea if that was the case here but it's simpler for the rail company to try and deal with that by a carte-blanche insistence that you always complete the journey in full.

But just to be clear here. I'm not supporting the demand for more money. I think the rail company did the right thing in waiving it. I'm just trying to help explain why it might have come about.
  • Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to know how such a charge could ever be justified.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be inclined to agree (as I wrote) but there is another way of looking at it. As a result of his actions a seat might have sat empty for no good reason. That might have annoyed someone sufficiently for them to complain to the company. That might lead to them being fined by the rail regulator.

But more likely I think it's related to the discount scheme I mentioned. Discounts are often based on making more efficient use of resources. It's entirely possible for a discount to make a longer journey cheaper than a shorter one. I have no idea if that was the case here but it's simpler for the rail company to try and deal with that by a carte-blanche insistence that you always complete the journey in full.

But just to be clear here. I'm not supporting the demand for more money. I think the rail company did the right thing in waiving it. I'm just trying to help explain why it might have come about.

I doubt very much they would be fined for an empty seat as they can prove the ticket was reserved and paid for prior to the journey. If this were the case they would be regularly fined for no shows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to know how such a charge could ever be justified.

It cannot be justified. If they did that to me I would call the police and report being held against my will.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you've taken advantage of a very good deal, specifically for a journey between A & C, then I think getting off at B should be perfectly acceptable.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is like something out of a comedy sketch in a Stalinist regime.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £155 might be a bit steep but I expect he breached the terms of the ticket sale.

Probably another one like the people who bought a discounted ticket from A to B, thought they would get off at C, and complained when they were fined (quite correctly) because they didn't have a valid ticket.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    £155 might be a bit steep but I expect he breached the terms of the ticket sale.

Probably another one like the people who bought a discounted ticket from A to B thought they could get off at C and complained when they were fined, quite correctly, because they didn't have a valid ticket.

He got off early, not late.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He probably got off at a station which was not his stated destination, which may have been against the T&Cs of his ticket.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppitypop wrote: »
    I doubt very much they would be fined for an empty seat as they can prove the ticket was reserved and paid for prior to the journey. If this were the case they would be regularly fined for no shows.
    No but I'm suggesting that perhaps they can be fined based on the number of customer complaints. The nature of the complaint might not matter.

It sounds a bit arbitrary but this is a government regulator we're talking about :rolleyes:
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    The guy had a ticket from Birmingham to Durham, not Birmingham to Darlington so it's not exactly surprising the barriers didn't let him through, did it?

The price he paid would have been for the trip to Durham, not Darlington. Train fares are not charged on a per mile basis, sometimes longer fares are more heavily subsidised for all manner of reasons, perhaps to encourage people on a popular commuter route to use the train rather than a car.

The terms of the ticket clearly state:

"You may not start, break and resume, or end your journey at an intermediate station except to change to/from appropriate connecting trains where these are shown on your ticket(s) or other official itinerary. "

Obviously this is to prevent people booking a cheap ticket and getting off half way to where they really want to go.

He broke the terms and conditions. Frankly he was lucky to get away with the fine being waived. If the train company decided they couldn't be bothered keeping up their side of the agreement and stopped the train halfway to the station, I'm sure nobody would just shrug their shoulders.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Unless you've taken advantage of a very good deal, specifically for a journey between A & C, then I think getting off at B should be perfectly acceptable.
    nanscombe wrote: »
    He probably got off at a station which was not his stated destination, which may have been against the T&Cs of his ticket.
    That's what I think the problem was:

http://www.peopleforum.cn/redirect.php?tid=40049&goto=lastpost

"A spokesman said: ‘The terms and conditions of the advance purchase first-class ticket – the ticket which Professor Evans had used for his journey – clearly state that breaking a journey en route, or starting from an intermediate station, is not permitted.’

A spokesman for the Association of Train Operating Companies said: ‘Hundreds of thousands of people take advantage of cheap advance tickets every week with no problem at all.

'In return for significantly reduced prices, there are certain conditions which apply that are clearly advertised when the tickets are bought.’

Amy Bradley, from the Passenger Focus consumer group, said: ‘There are some very good deals to be had on the railway, but passengers tell us the price of flexibility is too high.’"
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    Really amazing how some people quote the letter of the law on some things, but think the law doesn't apply to them when they transgress. :cool:
  • Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really amazing how some people quote the letter of the law on some things, but think the law doesn't apply to them when they transgress. :cool:
    ...the law?
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Very well put. I think the person who made the decision to make that charge should hang their head in shame.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such is the stupidity of ticket pricing that at work we have found:

There are routes where it is cheaper to buy a ticket to the next main terminus and get off early at the actual station you require than it is to buy a ticket to the actual station.

There are other routes where it cheaper to buy two separate tickets that make up the whole journey than to purchase one ticket for the whole journey.
  • liquidJPliquidJP Posts: 1,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah but what if he hadn't made the journy at all and stayed at home?
    That seat was paid for if he choses not to occupy it thats his choice.

The most he should have been charged is the cost of a single from his final destination to his point of departure ie 1 stop.

The train prices in this country are a joke, I recently found out it is cheeper for me when going to London to buy a return to Brighton and get off at clapham and use my oyster card... yeah that makes sense!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another explanation:Maybe not many people want to go to Durham. The rail company subsidises that route by encouraging people who want to go to Darlington to go to Durham instead. If we want to be silly we could even wonder if they get a backhander from other transport companies that ferry people from Durham to Darlington.

Those are the kind of deals (maybe not the back hander, lol) that rail companies might come up with. It's a common business practice these days and I actually think it's a major factor behind 'rip off Britain'. Sneakily getting customers to pay extra for things they don't really need. I think they'd do better to be more honest and upfront rather than trying to pretend that they are giving genuine discounts. There are always hidden costs these days.
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    ...the law?
    A figure of speech Ricky... just a figure of speech. You need not concern yourself. :cool: