Options

The Casualty Thread (Spoilers) (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    was i the only one that saw the sound man and the microphone when the mother and son were going in and zoe was walking towards them..... EPIC FAIL
  • Options
    Jay LeeJay Lee Posts: 4,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to add to my earlier post about OTT soap-style storylines for the patients, here's an idea: why don't the writers give us an episode set in real time reflecting an actual Saturday night A&E shift? You could have some really gritty material - a stabbing amongst teen gangs, binge drinkers out for a night on the town, a homeless person admitted for hypothermia.

Casualty used to feature stories like this regularly in the early days (when it was set during night shifts) - it reflected the state of the nation.

The writers now have no guts. If a patient isn't an adulterer or related to one of the staff (e.g. Linda's sister turns up next week. Groan), you can't be a patient at Holby ED. How realistic.
  • Options
    monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    k9fan wrote: »
    Happy birthday:)

Joy

michael was so sexy in tonights casualty. i love it when he smiles:D
  • Options
    ::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
    Forum Member
    I've noticed BBC are finally doing trailers for casualty - hooray!
  • Options
    Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay Lee wrote: »
    Sorry but I didn't think it was that great an episode; I imagine that many viewers who tuned into Casualty again last week for the first time in ages would have been disappointed too. I realise not every episode of Casualty can be high-octane stunts but tonight's episode was just back to the usual humdrum soap-style that's been afflicting this series for years.

So we have yet another love interest for Nick Jordan. Yawn. Will-they-won't-they with Sam and Dylan. Why couldn't they have just kept Dylan's character as he was and as he worked best?

There was more of an emphasis on the patients but it was hardly original with extramarital affairs left, right and centre. I don't understand why the patients on Casualty have to have complicated personal lives. I know it can be argued that it makes them more interesting but realistic? I'd like to see an innocent patient in ED one episode who is admitted and doesn't turn out to be a criminal / adulterer / relative or long lost friend of one of the medics. It would make for a refreshing change. On the early days of Casualty, you'd get these quirky patients who had no complicated personal lives - just well written patients who provided light relief and a contrast from the main patient stories. The writers need to think about more economical writing for the patients, I feel - tonight just felt OTT and melodramatic.
    The show like the audience has evolved. A lot more of th soap style stories appeal to the ones who love forbidden romances and spoon fed type illnesses.

If they don't cater for twitter, Facebook celeb mag reader types then they will lose a huge part of the audience. I mean it's fine to have favourite characters and all that. Its when people can't enjoy an episode because the one they fancy the most or the couple they think are dreamy and so meant to be together aren't in it, then it just tells you how far removed from the original series we are and the chances of getting those great episodes back are slimmer than Victoria Beckham
  • Options
    Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daclick wrote: »
    was i the only one that saw the sound man and the microphone when the mother and son were going in and zoe was walking towards them..... EPIC FAIL
    You've got some bloody good eyes. :eek:

Blink and you missed him. You only just saw his arm and part of the boom as the camera panned across
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show like the audience has evolved. A lot more of th soap style stories appeal to the ones who love forbidden romances and spoon fed type illnesses.

If they don't cater for twitter, Facebook celeb mag reader types then they will lose a huge part of the audience. I mean it's fine to have favourite characters and all that. Its when people can't enjoy an episode because the one they fancy the most or the couple they think are dreamy and so meant to be together aren't in it, then it just tells you how far removed from the original series we are and the chances of getting those great episodes back are slimmer than Victoria Beckham

Sad but true. Surely 'evolved' is not quite the right word for the audience, then?
  • Options
    Tass BTass B Posts: 1,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great episode tonight! Seeing Nick helped me get over David Wicks' departure! Lol.

I'm really warming to Sam's character and I think that was a really sweet scene at the end with her and Dylan.

The patient storyline was really good as well. I almost screamed when that guy dropped his son! Luckily Mac was there to catch him.

I'm really hoping that Zoe gets a big storyline soon as she's been very much in the background. I know she was focused on in the fire episodes but I mean a proper storyline that goes on for more than one episode.
  • Options
    allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    Just to add to my earlier post about OTT soap-style storylines for the patients, here's an idea: why don't the writers give us an episode set in real time reflecting an actual Saturday night A&E shift? You could have some really gritty material - a stabbing amongst teen gangs, binge drinkers out for a night on the town, a homeless person admitted for hypothermia.

Casualty used to feature stories like this regularly in the early days (when it was set during night shifts) - it reflected the state of the nation.

The writers now have no guts. If a patient isn't an adulterer or related to one of the staff (e.g. Linda's sister turns up next week. Groan), you can't be a patient at Holby ED. How realistic.

The series has evolved - I mean when I said the episode was good, it's all relative - compared to the earlier series, it doesn't hold a candle to it, but in the context of this current series, it was watchable and decent. And BTW I agree with the above - let's have a proper 'night shift' episode like Series 1. They are focusing more on the patients, and that's good, but a bit more grit and social realism wouldn't go amiss, and even without social realism, likeable characters and good believable patient storylines would be fine.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    here's an idea: why don't the writers give us an episode set in real time reflecting an actual Saturday night A&E shift? You could have some really gritty material - a stabbing amongst teen gangs, binge drinkers out for a night on the town, a homeless person admitted for hypothermia.

that would be a good episode could get some really gritty story's.
  • Options
    Sirocco758Sirocco758 Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know when Danny Dyer first appears in Casualty as a new Paramedic.

Thanks

AJ
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Last night's episode was never going to be as good as the one before, but it was necessary to wrap up the storylines from the week before. If Casualty opted for a more realistic approach where normal everyday people came into the dept, got seen to, and then left - the programme would be extraordinarily dull. It is a fictional drama - we need to get caught up in the character stories (of both staff and patients) for the show to have any kind of narrative. I honestly don't know what some people on this thread are thinking. It is not a documentary so you can't expect realism throughout. The writers, consultants and producers go to great lengths to make the show as realistic as possible but at it's core, Casualty is a fictional drama and should be treated as such. Enjoy it for what it is.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As head of A and E. would Nick Jordan's character work with different shifts? The team we see being I guess one of three or four teams that cover the ED?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night's episode was never going to be as good as the one before, but it was necessary to wrap up the storylines from the week before. If Casualty opted for a more realistic approach where normal everyday people came into the dept, got seen to, and then left - the programme would be extraordinarily dull. It is a fictional drama - we need to get caught up in the character stories (of both staff and patients) for the show to have any kind of narrative. I honestly don't know what some people on this thread are thinking. It is not a documentary so you can't expect realism throughout. The writers, consultants and producers go to great lengths to make the show as realistic as possible but at it's core, Casualty is a fictional drama and should be treated as such. Enjoy it for what it is.

What I am thinking, as someone who grew up with Casualty since it started in 1986, is that the "narrative" that you cite has become boringly safe in recent years. So yes, I agree that there needs to be narrative in the patient storylines to make it interesting but the writers have jettisoned realism for cosy, dare I say it, "middle class" crises. The contrast with the early series is profound - the writers used to tackle all kinds of controversial isues, from sexual abuse to knife crime and football hooliganism.

The series now is tame by comparison. You say that the production team still strive for realism. Really? The patient that Lennie saw last night who turned out to have pneumonia: Nick assessed him and realised that Lennie was wrong in his diagnosis. He says that the man has pneumonia then walks out of the cubicle without even talking to the patient! Then he ironically tells Lennie to talk more to his patients! Not only do I find this unrealistic, it was so contrived - the patient was clearly there as a dramatic device for the character of Lennie and nothing more. Attention to detail has been lost on this programme and it's a shame.
  • Options
    Tass BTass B Posts: 1,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As head of A and E. would Nick Jordan's character work with different shifts? The team we see being I guess one of three or four teams that cover the ED?

Thats what I thought as well because at the end of some episodes, all of the main characters are gathered together in staff which gives the impression that they are all doing the same shift.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tass B wrote: »
    Thats what I thought as well because at the end of some episodes, all of the main characters are gathered together in staff which gives the impression that they are all doing the same shift.

This is another aspect that has been lost from the early days of Casualty. You often saw the characters handing over to the next team who were starting their shift: there's a lovely moment that sticks out in my memory from Series 7 (1992). At the end of that year's Christmas episode, 'Silent Night', Charlie is walking out of A&E, as it was known then, with Duffy. He sees a patient being admitted and tended to by someone on the next shift. Charlie goes over to help but Duffy pulls him back.

I miss these realistic touches. Now the series gives you the impression that the ED shuts down as soon as that one team leaves at the end of the day.
  • Options
    janetcomelatelyjanetcomelately Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    It was an OK episode.

Interesting to see Sue from Brookside as Marston's wife as I haven't seen her in anything else since.
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only just realised that Charlotte Salt (Sam) played Michael French's daughter in Born and Bred! Wonder if thats weird for the them. She looks very different now, even though I guess that programme is about 10 years ago? She is much thinner and a bit hard looking now compared to then, although still very attractive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    I only just realised that Charlotte Salt (Sam) played Michael French's daughter in Born and Bred! Wonder if thats weird for the them. She looks very different now, even though I guess that programme is about 10 years ago? She is much thinner and a bit hard looking now compared to then, although still very attractive.

They joke about it, in an interview Charlotte said that Michael makes her call him "Daddy G" on set.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,679
    Forum Member
    This is another aspect that has been lost from the early days of Casualty. You often saw the characters handing over to the next team who were starting their shift: there's a lovely moment that sticks out in my memory from Series 7 (1992). At the end of that year's Christmas episode, 'Silent Night', Charlie is walking out of A&E, as it was known then, with Duffy. He sees a patient being admitted and tended to by someone on the next shift. Charlie goes over to help but Duffy pulls him back.

I miss these realistic touches. Now the series gives you the impression that the ED shuts down as soon as that one team leaves at the end of the day.

Funnily enough we said this the other week while watching, I know it's not hugely important but, as you say, it adds a touch of realism.
  • Options
    ::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
    Forum Member
    I remember a few years ago when they bought in Lenny etc, and they had was it 6 or 8 of them and some did the night and the others did the day, I thought it was quite realistic
  • Options
    sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sirocco758 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when Danny Dyer first appears in Casualty as a new Paramedic.

Thanks

AJ

It's supposed to be sometime this month
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,679
    Forum Member
    Sorry but I didn't think it was that great an episode; I imagine that many viewers who tuned into Casualty again last week for the first time in ages would have been disappointed too. I realise not every episode of Casualty can be high-octane stunts but tonight's episode was just back to the usual humdrum soap-style that's been afflicting this series for years.

So we have yet another love interest for Nick Jordan. Yawn. Will-they-won't-they with Sam and Dylan. Why couldn't they have just kept Dylan's character as he was and as he worked best?
    I do agree with a lot of what you're saying, but at the same time if they didn't reveal a bit more about characters they'd be accused of having no 'character progression'.
    There was more of an emphasis on the patients but it was hardly original with extramarital affairs left, right and centre. I don't understand why the patients on Casualty have to have complicated personal lives. I know it can be argued that it makes them more interesting but realistic? I'd like to see an innocent patient in ED one episode who is admitted and doesn't turn out to be a criminal / adulterer / relative or long lost friend of one of the medics. It would make for a refreshing change. On the early days of Casualty, you'd get these quirky patients who had no complicated personal lives - just well written patients who provided light relief and a contrast from the main patient stories. The writers need to think about more economical writing for the patients, I feel - tonight just felt OTT and melodramatic.
    Yes, I agree with that. Everyone's got a Dark Secret now. :D

That was my reaction too when I read about that storyline. :)

The trouble is with any series as it goes on it tends to become more sensational. I remember getting fed up with ER when it seemed each week one of the doctors was in mortal danger from a mad patient.
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They joke about it, in an interview Charlotte said that Michael makes her call him "Daddy G" on set.

Lol. Thanks for that :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Tass B wrote: »
    I'm really hoping that Zoe gets a big storyline soon as she's been very much in the background. I know she was focused on in the fire episodes but I mean a proper storyline that goes on for more than one episode.

Sames, shes my favourite character and I miss seeing her have something good to do on the show, other than a few sarcastic comments. The last real big storyline I think she had was in series 24 at the end with the whole fake baby thing.
This discussion has been closed.