The Proof We Live In Two Britains - A Moving Article in The Mail

JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/columnists/article-2824520/While-millions-pay-silent-tribute-Tower-London-anarchists-bring-chaos-Westminster-proof-live-two-Britains-writes-RICHARD-LITTLEJOHN.html

I was so moved and impressed by the above piece in praise of the millions of decent ordinary people on both sides of the Atlantic that I just had to share it with you. It's just top quality. But don't take my word for it, take a few minutes to read it yourself.

Comments

• Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Says Richard Littlejohn from his home far away from the UK.;-)

We also live in the most divided times he should also have mentioned where the gap between rich and poor has never been greater.

There is room in the UK for both sets of people rememberance of the fallen,and the right to protest which the fallen fought and died for.;-)
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Littlejohn is still working despite his treatment of Lucy Meadows. Shame. :( >:(
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    So Littlejohn is still working despite his treatment of Lucy Meadows. Shame. :( >:(

King Richard is still going strong and on top form.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We also live in the most divided times he should also have mentioned where the gap between rich and poor has never been greater.

There is room in the UK for both sets of people rememberance of the fallen,and the right to protest which the fallen fought and died for.;-)

Do they have a badger problem in the USA?
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,155
    Forum Member
    Jefferson wrote: »
    King Richard is still going strong and on top form.

I take it you're a big fan of Dick in the morning then, Jeffers.

Not my cup of tea myself:)
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the point if this thread?
    We all know you worship him.
    These threads don't invite discussion, they just polarise it from the start.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    What is the point if this thread?
    We all know you worship him.
    These threads don't invite discussion, they just polarise it from the start.

Of course it invites discussion. There is so much in there to have a view on no matter which camp you are in.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I was expecting Littlejohn commenting on the huge and ever-growing divide between the ultra-rich and the poor in modern Britain.

What I read was a desperate attempt at getting people to vote for ailing Cameron and an increasingly desperate Conservative Party
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TV studios should stop handing out poppies to guests. If they want one they should buy there own like everyone else has to.

Then we could see who gave a shizzle.
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,582
    Forum Member
    TV studios should stop handing out poppies to guests. If they want one they should buy there own like everyone else has to.

Then we could see who gave a shizzle.

Wearing a plastic or paper flower means nothing.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    I was so moved and impressed by the above piece in praise of the millions of decent ordinary people on both sides of the Atlantic that I just had to share it with you. It's just top quality. But don't take my word for it, take a few minutes to read it yourself.

I tried, but had to give up at this bit of gratuitous BBC-bashing:

"The BBC, which is supposed to serve the nation as a whole, delights in giving a megaphone to extremists, Left-wing bigots and pseudo revolutionaries."

Hardly quality stuff from RL, but then nothing surprising there!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Oh I was expecting Littlejohn commenting on the huge and ever-growing divide between the ultra-rich and the poor in modern Britain.

I thought it might be from the thread title. But of course as soon as I saw it was Littlejohn I knew it would be his usual ignorant blather.
    There's almost certainly some overlap between the crowds that went to look at the poppy installation and the crowds that marched in the million masks march. (Littlefohn's brain melts at the thought.) There is nothing particularly saintly about going to look at a free installation that can be seen from the street. A lot of people who went will have been motivated by curiosity and the simple desire to see something they had seen in the news.

And no point in him fawning over the tea party as the great hope of the US. They are generally credited with making the republicans unelectable, and recent success was because the republicans had the sense to distance themselves from them. The main features of the tea party is that they are strongly white, male and comfortably off; hence their passionate hatred of anything like welfare progammes or health provision that might affect their own bank balance. No wonder Little john loves them; the people who queue up to beg him to come to the UK and be our prime minister might be suprised to see him worshipping at the altar of 'let the poor die, they don't deserve anything'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    An odious man writing in an odious newspaper!!!! Enough said!!!
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More Littlejohn drivel.

How does he even have a job?
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it might be from the thread title. But of course as soon as I saw it was Littlejohn I knew it would be his usual ignorant blather.
    There's almost certainly some overlap between the crowds that went to look at the poppy installation and the crowds that marched in the million masks march. (Littlefohn's brain melts at the thought.) There is nothing particularly saintly about going to look at a free installation that can be seen from the street. A lot of people who went will have been motivated by curiosity and the simple desire to see something they had seen in the news.

And no point in him fawning over the tea party as the great hope of the US. They are generally credited with making the republicans unelectable, and recent success was because the republicans had the sense to distance themselves from them. The main features of the tea party is that they are strongly white, male and comfortably off; hence their passionate hatred of anything like welfare progammes or health provision that might affect their own bank balance. No wonder Little john loves them; the people who queue up to beg him to come to the UK and be our prime minister might be suprised to see him worshipping at the altar of 'let the poor die, they don't deserve anything'.

That kind of party in the UK sounds quite familiar...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And here's what the Guardian has ACTUALLY said on the subject:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/06/-sp-what-would-the-tower-of-london-poppy-exhibition-look-like-if-it-included-global-not-just-uk-war-dead

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/poll/2014/nov/06/display-poppies-tower-of-london-stay

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/02/bones-and-barbed-wire-poetry-poppies

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/31/world-war-one-poppies-memorial-cameron

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/jonathanjonesblog/2014/oct/28/tower-of-london-poppies-ukip-remembrance-day

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/01/designer-tower-london-poppies-wwi-tom-piper

Hmmm, what kind of paper IS this? It prints a variety of views, allows for disagreements, gives equal status to someone who loves the installation and someone who dislikes it. No wonder Littlejohn can't cope: there is thought here, and a deep understanding of history and the nuances of how something is commemorated. So much easier to take one simplistic view and have an infantile tantrum if anyone questions it.
  • MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't the OP learn last time?

Anyway, that article is astonishing. It's incredibly poor taste to use remembrance day as a way to score cheap political points. It's full of lazy generalisations, cliches and, as usual for the mail, is written to reinforce the viewpoints of the cretins who buy into this sh*t. Plus clickbait, of course.

And as for this:

"Nigel Farage was reduced to tears"

Maybe he just saw someone who looked a bit foreign, the prick.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More Littlejohn drivel.

How does he even have a job?

Clickbait for the mail. Really we should all use one of the sites that doesn't come up on their counter, but it's sometimes tempting just to click on a link and get it over with.

I guess the same is true of Question Time always inviting the obviously bonkers and universally derided Melanie Phillips: they know she generates a lot of twitter activity, every time; you could invite a solid panel of MP's and not get a quarter of the social media attention.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clickbait for the mail. Really we should all use one of the sites that doesn't come up on their counter, but it's sometimes tempting just to click on a link and get it over with.

I guess the same is true of Question Time always inviting the obviously bonkers and universally derided Melanie Phillips: they know she generates a lot of twitter activity, every time; you could invite a solid panel of MP's and not get a quarter of the social media attention.

Ah clickbait. Sadly becoming a staple for mainstream media. Mail has Littlejohn, Guardian has Valenti and so on.

Where is the quality journalism?
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member

BIB I would take issue with this statement. Yes. there is a wide divide, but I have seen that gap close during my lifetime. I feel that what is different is expectation and perceived necessities. I went to school with children whose parents struggled to put food on the table. Now Sky seems to be a necessity for some, showing that proportionately, they have greater disposable income than those in the 1950s.

Yes, I appear to be nit picking but things have been worse for some folks well within living memory.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The protest could have taken place outside of the one minute silence. I notice how Littlejohn isn't specific about when they protested because that would involve being honest.
  • roger_purvisroger_purvis Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very interesting article. Moving.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I was about to start reading the article, but this one caught my eye instead.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do I think - I think the memorial is fantastic, and I'm not patriotic at all, but I can understand the importance in remembering those who fought and fell to enable us to the freedoms by which we live - including the freedom to protest (peacefully, I hasten to add - non-peaceful protest is, in my opinion - and by definition if it's politically motivated - terrorism).

For me, I find the article badly written, pandering to a certain ready-made audience, opportunistic. Comparing the two and suggestion that those who would like to see changes for the better - no matter how misguided or not their protest may be - in a country they love, are not patriotic. They may not be going about things they best way - or perhaps they are, I don't know enough to be able to answer that one - and I do think Brand's presence detracts from any argument rather than adding to it, but at least they are doing what they are entitled to do and expressing their frustration at the state of the nation.

I personally prefer a protest which has a single focus, I think the point comes across better - eg. protesting against bedroom tax or the abolition of the ILF, striking for better pay, a single thought behind the group protesting, rather than a generalised rant against nothing specific, which can seem rather aimless and just an excuse to hold a protest.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,267
    Forum Member
    "A moving article in the Mail" is possibly the funniest thing i've heard all year.