Options

Big Issue vendors - what's the story with them?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
Forum Member
✭✭
So for the past few days I've been buying the magazine from a young lad in town (he told me he's only 15) and got talking to him, although he can barely speak English. He refuses any food or extra money which is fair enough as he's a worker and not a charity case, but I bought his last magazine today and was surprised to see him happily take off his Big Issue vendor jacket, stuff it in his bag and walk off with a smile on his face. It was only 2pm and I was wondering where on Earth he would have went at that time. Aren't the vendors homeless? Or are they in a hostel somewhere? How are they supposed to move forward in life or get on their feet by only making a £1.25 profit on every sale?

Comments

• Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Big Issue guy who stand in my local city centre drives a Mercedes, so it can't be all that bad.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    So for the past few days I've been buying the magazine from a young lad in town (he told me he's only 15) and got talking to him, although he can barely speak English. He refuses any food or extra money which is fair enough as he's a worker and not a charity case, but I bought his last magazine today and was surprised to see him happily take off his Big Issue vendor jacket, stuff it in his bag and walk off with a smile on his face. It was only 2pm and I was wondering where on Earth he would have went at that time. Aren't the vendors homeless? Or are they in a hostel somewhere? How are they supposed to move forward in life or get on their feet by only making a £1.25 profit on every sale?

Probably got enough for 20 Bensons and a 6 cans of Spesh, what more do you need?
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Every Big Issue vendor in our town is trying to flog their "last copy".
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of the ones here are Romanians.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Most of the ones here are Romanians.

So is the one in Stevenage and Letchworth. They even bring stools with them!
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Morning glory?
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Exploiting the NHS!!
  • Options
    KikiDafuqKikiDafuq Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Selling the Big Issue is a route to getting an NI number so that they can apply for benefits.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    KikiDafuq wrote: »
    Selling the Big Issue is a route to getting an NI number so that they can apply for benefits.

As discussed in some detail a few weeks back. Seems that immigrants
    (especially from E. Europe) have discovered they need only sell the BI for 16 hours per week to put in for Benefits - such as the Romanian / Bulgarian woman with 2 or 3 children who was thus able to claim around £27k with housing allowance and what else comes with it !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cessna wrote: »
    (especially from E. Europe) have discovered they need only sell the BI for 16 hours per week to put in for Benefits - such as the Romanian / Bulgarian woman with 2 or 3 children who was thus able to claim around £27k with housing allowance and what else comes with it !

I'd ask how you get such nice benefits and assistance, but I'm guessing the leaflets and forms are mostly in any language but English...
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As you said you bought his last magazine , maybe he went to his hostel or homeless shelter or somewhere for food, this weather if you had sold your last one you would hardly want to to be standing around, and he may be smiling as he had sold out. there are some con artists out there but also genuine ones who will be happy as they made a few quid.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't have to be homeless to sell it.In temporary accommodation is enough.
    I remember when it was just Brits who sold it.Now,it's mostly Romanians.
    I think the Big Issue started out as a good idea.It meant something.Now,it's loads of Roma scammers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    You don't have to be homeless to sell it.In temporary accommodation is enough.
    I remember when it was just Brits who sold it.Now,it's mostly Romanians.
    I think the Big Issue started out as a good idea.It meant something.Now,it's loads of Roma scammers.

The filthy looking woman stood outside Superdrug in Letchworth certainly would fit that description. Once she's no doubt made enough cash, she travels over to neighbouring Hitchin and sells there
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

All the way from Romania?
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    The filthy looking woman stood outside Superdrug in Letchworth certainly would fit that description. Once she's no doubt made enough cash, she travels over to neighbouring Hitchin and sells there

In Glasgow, all the sellers were beaten up or intimidated by Romanian gangs so that they could put their own people in place to get money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cessna wrote: »

The good hearted,well meaning UK have been like lambs to the slaughter to these people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    In Glasgow, all the sellers were beaten up or intimidated by Romanian gangs so that they could put their own people in place to get money.

And what are the police and Home Office doing about it, I wonder?

More lies, hot air and broken promises from Theresa May about 'getting tough' on these criminal immigrant gangs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As soon as I see the headscarf.I know who they are.I'm particularly wary of the ones that have their pitch right next to the cash machines.ATM scams are a speciality of the Romanians.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every Big Issue vendor in our town is trying to flog their "last copy".

I was sat in a pub once and a Big Issue "seller" came in and asked me to buy his last copy. I did and then he went "oh you don't actually want it do you?" and I said "er, yes?" and he said something like "oh I thought you would just give me the money". I then realised he wasnt a Big Issue seller at all, just someone who had bought a copy to try this stunt. I just went "oh f*ck off, keep it, don't come near me again".

There IS a genuine B.I. seller at the entrance to the train station who I don't mind buying from as he is official, so I round it up to £3

I believe they only get so many copies a day and it's intended to help them become independant, work for their money and get back on their feet. This I don't mind.

For the record, the guy isn't Romanian. Call me predjudiced, I don't care, but I *never* buy off a Romanian for the reasons stated above. I just don't believe they're doing it for the right reasons, I believe the guy outside the station is.
  • Options
    donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to buy it quite regularly,but haven't for a while as I tend to stay clear of the town centre.
    It's the 1st I've heard of this Roma gang stuff,has anyone,public or media,contacted Big Issue about it and recieved any sort of statement
  • Options
    hopeless casehopeless case Posts: 5,245
    Forum Member
    The lady who sells the big issue outside my local waitrose has been there for as long as I have been shopping there - 5 years.

I used to buy it from her, but stopped.

During this time she has had 2 children, and has at least one more as she sometimes brings her older son along with her.

I also thought the big issue was a stop gap to help people back on their feet while they were homeless, but it must be lucrative enough for someone to bring up a family I guess, as this is what she is doing.