Options

Is going from Android to Apple a step back?

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »
    Well they have integrated on my phone :confused:

which phone?
    Skype, for example, on iOS doesn't integrate into any of the built-in phone functions.

it's runs as a third party app and needs to be running (albeit via background processes) for it to work.
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    which phone?
    Skype, for example, on iOS doesn't integrate into any of the built-in phone functions.

it's runs as a third party app and needs to be running (albeit via background processes) for it to work.

Any app including the inbuilt messengers ,SMS etc run as background services your whole OS depends on them. maybe you should move to Androiod
  • Options
    Forum Member
    which phone?

Any app including the inbuilt messengers ,SMS etc run as background services your whole OS depends on them. maybe you should move to Android if Apple doesn't run apps
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any app including the inbuilt messengers ,SMS etc run as background services your whole OS depends on them. maybe you should move to Android if Apple doesn't run apps

are you purposely being obtuse?
    did anyone say it didn't run apps?

maybe your definition of "integration" is a little warped?
    you didn't answer which phone you were using.

skype doesn't integrate with the core OS. for example, if i go into contacts there is no "skype me" option.

maybe the android implementation is a different though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    are you purposely being obtuse?
    did anyone say it didn't run apps?

maybe your definition of "integration" is a little warped?
    you didn't answer which phone you were using.

skype doesn't integrate with the core OS. for example, if i go into contacts there is no "skype me" option.

maybe the android implementation is a different though.

I have the Galaxy S"2 and all of my contacts have icons by the side of their names showing what services they have, Whatsapp Skype etc even email or just the standard texting voice calls and I just choose which I want to use so its all integrated
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the Galaxy S"2 and all of my contacts have icons by the side of their names showing what services they have, Whatsapp Skype etc even email or just the standard texting voice calls and I just choose which I want to use so its all integrated

so i said, iOS doesn't do that so the apps don't deep integrate into the OS like they do on android.

so the comment you made "These apps are all cross platform and integrate into any OS" is false.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    so i said, iOS doesn't do that so the apps don't deep integrate into the OS like they do on android.

so the comment you made "These apps are all cross platform and integrate into any OS" is false.

But you can use those apps on IOS ! Ok so Android is a better OS as you can customise your phone more but it still remains that it can't be that hard to use them on IOS can it ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you can use those apps on IOS ! Ok so Android is a better OS as you can customise your phone more but it still remains that it can't be that hard to use them on IOS can it ?

no-one said you couldn't.
    we were arguing that they integrated into the OS (when talking about iOS) and they don't.

the only argument being made was that by having to use and run multiple apps then it's a little more work than it would be if using facetime (or the equivalent on android).

all i've been debating with you is the "integration" argument you were making - nothing else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    no-one said you couldn't.
    we were arguing that they integrated into the OS (when talking about iOS) and they don't.

the only argument being made was that by having to use and run multiple apps then it's a little more work than it would be if using facetime (or the equivalent on android).

all i've been debating with you is the "integration" argument you were making - nothing else.

OK I'll admit I was wrong as they all integrate into Android I assumed they would do the same with IOS as so many people say how brilliant it is, obviously it isn't that good but you also assumed they didn't integrate into Android based on your use of IOS
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but you also assumed they didn't integrate into Android based on your use of IOS

no i didn't. i was always only talking about iOS.
    having only ever seen android in brief moments, i couldn't comment on how good or bad it is, or whether apps fully integrate or not - something you don't seem to have a problem doing though.

you seem intent on trying to turn it into an android v ios argument though, something i'm not interested in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    no i didn't. i was always only talking about iOS.
    having only ever seen android in brief moments, i couldn't comment on how good or bad it is, or whether apps fully integrate or not - something you don't seem to have a problem doing though.

you seem intent on trying to turn it into an android v ios argument though, something i'm not interested in.

Not at all we can both only comment on our own experieces
  • Options
    mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    And, so iOS vs Android, Round 9999999999 has began.

Aint you bored yet!?
  • Options
    Liam_777Liam_777 Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    In the end I went for an iPhone, in general it's great, a lot faster and more responsive than my Sensation was. A few issues though, a lot of the apps have not been optimised for iPhone 5 yet, leaving an ugly black bar ( sometimes 2) on the screen. Hopefully this will be fixed in time though. The other being the audio quality, it's pretty horrific.. I think that's party due to using PowerAmp on my Android phone (which you obviously can't get on iPhone).

Also having to PAY to have my own ringtone, ridiculous! I miss having widgets aswell, my notes and bookmarks were so handy on HTC Sense, weather integration is also a fail on iPhone, something HTC Sense was great at.

Chances are I will sell my iPhone and get the new Flagship HTC when it arrives (hopefully soon so I will get a good price for it).

Also: To answer my own question, IMO iPhone is a step back from Android, iPhone 5 is beautiful and so fast, but its more of a fashion accessory than a phone. For functionality Android wins.
  • Options
    Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liam_777 wrote: »
    Also having to PAY to have my own ringtone, ridiculous!

No, you don't. You can make your own. Rename an .m4a file as .m4r. Details available via Google.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    In the end I went for an iPhone, in general it's great, a lot faster and more responsive than my Sensation was. A few issues though, a lot of the apps have not been optimised for iPhone 5 yet, leaving an ugly black bar ( sometimes 2) on the screen. Hopefully this will be fixed in time though. The other being the audio quality, it's pretty horrific.. I think that's party due to using PowerAmp on my Android phone (which you obviously can't get on iPhone).

Also having to PAY to have my own ringtone, ridiculous! I miss having widgets aswell, my notes and bookmarks were so handy on HTC Sense, weather integration is also a fail on iPhone, something HTC Sense was great at.

Chances are I will sell my iPhone and get the new Flagship HTC when it arrives (hopefully soon so I will get a good price for it).

Also: To answer my own question, IMO iPhone is a step back from Android, iPhone 5 is beautiful and so fast, but its more of a fashion accessory than a phone. For functionality Android wins.

Well valuable lesson learnt there.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree with you about widgets. What functionality are you missing?
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the future question will be, is paying £700 to £850 for a small iPhone 5 worth doing, compared to paying £450 to £650 for a Galaxy S3 or similar phablet like phone?
    Even that fairly new Sensation is tiny compared to what a majority now chose for top end.

So "Is down sizing and up pricing from Android to Apple a step back?"
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    So the future question will be, is paying £700 to £850 for a small iPhone 5 worth doing, compared to paying £450 to £650 for a Galaxy S3 or similar phablet like phone?
    Even that fairly new Sensation is tiny compared to what a majority now chose for top end.

I think price is always an interesting one. People will vary in what they are willing to pay and what they consider expensive.l

I don't understand why other companies don't make premium phones in smaller packages as there is clearly a good market for it. Maybe they aren't able to?
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    in fact it really shows up iOS for the 'dated' look it has-it's been 'sunny' and 23c for the last five years haha!

Now you mention it, so it has. Even though I am an Apple fan, I must say that is the best put down for IOS I have ever seen :)
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    There are no hoops to jump through !

Sorry but if someone isn't able to download an app for either an Android or Apple phone then they are to stupid to own a smartphone

That is an incredibly condescending statement. My daughter in law is at board level of one of our major organisations, she has a first class degree and accountancy qualifications, I wouldn't describe her as stupid. However, her life style is such that she is just not interested in the tech she uses and wouldn't be the slightest bit interested in customising a phone she owns. At least she's not stupid enough to make basic grammatical errors in her communications (s/too/to/ in your message above) :)
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »

Wow, you're trying to start a 3 dimensional debate! Price points, size and OS all in one!

I don't see the size issue and the price issue as being related. Two phones with the same spec, one with a 4" screen and one with a 5" screen, I'd probably pick the 4", even if they were the same price. I just don't need all that extra bulk for what I use my phone for and prefer something that small and light.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    yes it is my opinion, just like you have your opinion.
    yes you do have choice of remove the skin by rooting, but isn't that just the same as jailbreaking to modify the look of iOS?

in my opinion all the manufacturers that insist on using skins should give the owner a choice of skinned or non-skinned, that would be a "real" choice.

BIB - you dont have to root the phone to remove the skin. You can install a launcher, this will remove the skin and give you a different interface. Not sure how many there are, but there is a fair few. Thus if you dont like the skin, then install a launcher.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    BIB - you dont have to root the phone to remove the skin. You can install a launcher, this will remove the skin and give you a different interface. Not sure how many there are, but there is a fair few. Thus if you dont like the skin, then install a launcher.

so that give you stock android then?
    when i said "remove skin" i meant remove HTC sense (or Samsung equivalent etc).

installing a launcher will do that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wow, you're trying to start a 3 dimensional debate! Price points, size and OS all in one!

I don't see the size issue and the price issue as being related. Two phones with the same spec, one with a 4" screen and one with a 5" screen, I'd probably pick the 4", even if they were the same price. I just don't need all that extra bulk for what I use my phone for and prefer something that small and light.

To be honest since phones are so thin, the size of it doesnt really matter that much. My brother has a Nokia 2730 - he was laughing at me when I got me S3, said it was too big and how do you carry it in your pocket, it would be pain etcetc. I told him to put the S3 in his pocket and see how it felt. The look on his face when he did was priceless. He did admit the S3 didnt feel as big as it looked.

The key to these bigger phones is how thin they are. The same size screen as an S3, but being a thickness of 1cm would make it a big difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    so that give you stock android then?
    when i said "remove skin" i meant remove HTC sense (or Samsung equivalent etc).

installing a launcher will do that?

It wont physically remove the skin from the phone, however it will remove the skin from the interface. Have a look at the screenshots of something like Go Launcher and Nova Launcher in the play store. For something really cool have a look at SPB Shell 3D. Once you install a launcher, it removes sense/touchwiz etc from the interface.

They wont give you stock android, if you want that buy a nexus device (or root your phone and put on a pure android rom).