Chris Tarrants last ever Millionaire tonight

yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Tonight marks the end of "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire", something that should probably happened a few years ago, however itv is saying its Chris Tarrants last edition, so that gives itv or someone else bringing it back sometime in the future, but please no Challenge version were the prize is a million pence or they play for points.

Comments

• Kitt 2000Kitt 2000 Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's going to be quite sad that this will be the last ever one.
    Does anybody know if its still running in other countries ?
  • CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I ended up disliking Tarrant purely because of the yawnfest format of WWTBAM. His attempts at jokes and genuine sounding conversation really grated and as with most programmes Skyplus really is your friend. (WWTBAM should take no longer than 5-6 minutes to watch thoroughly, the prospect of sitting there for an hour watching that with adverts sends a shiver down my spine.
  • JohnrJohnr Posts: 3,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ironically this is not his 'last ever' episode, as it was recorded a couple of months ago!

His true 'last ever' episode was the live special just before Christmas :)
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kitt 2000 wrote: »
    It's going to be quite sad that this will be the last ever one.
    Does anybody know if its still running in other countries ?

Interesting article on the BBC News website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25910570

"The format to Who Wants To Be a Millionaire? - which was devised in the UK - has been exported to around 100 countries worldwide, including Afghanistan, China and Uruguay.

In India, where the show continues to be a hit, it has been hosted by Bollywood film stars Amitabh Bachchan and Shahrukh Khan"
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I loved this show as a kid when it was new and exciting but it got really boring in the end. They never changed the format to make it more interesting. I think it's had its day now.
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved this show as a kid when it was new and exciting but it got really boring in the end. They never changed the format to make it more interesting. I think it's had its day now.

In the last few years they kept tinkering with the format, by

1: Removing Fastest Finger from the none celeb version (it was removed from the celeb versions early on)
    2: Changing the money ladder making it easier to earn £1000 but harder to win 1 million and replacing the safe point of £32000 with £50000 and making the £50000 question too difficult, effectively meaning most people won £25000 instead of £32000
    3: adding a 15 second answer time limit up to £1000, and a 30 second one up to £50000
    4: Adding the switch lifeline after £50000
    5: Making it live and adding a phone in comp which split the prize fund in two

I think that is enough changes which slowly killed the show.
  • CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorksdave wrote: »
    In the last few years they kept tinkering with the format, by

1: Removing Fastest Finger from the none celeb version (it was removed from the celeb versions early on)
    2: Changing the money ladder making it easier to earn £1000 but harder to win 1 million and replacing the safe point of £32000 with £50000 and making the £50000 question too difficult, effectively meaning most people won £25000 instead of £32000
    3: adding a 15 second answer time limit up to £1000, and a 30 second one up to £50000
    4: Adding the switch lifeline after £50000
    5: Making it live and adding a phone in comp which split the prize fund in two

I think that is enough changes which slowly killed the show.

You are right with all those additions but I could have told ITV how to save the show and keep it popular forever....it's easy....just cut down the inane chat and meandering waffle and have two or three times the amount of questions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris hit the nail on the head, civilians are too skint to be gambling these days.

So they invite a load of Z list celebs on instead which gets boring after a while as you know they could just stick their hand behind their sofa and find a million quid to give to charity if they really wanted to.

Same problem is happening with Deal Or No Deal at the moment, lots of £10,000 - £15,000 deals rather than the guts to go for the big money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What they should have done when a contestant loses is bring the Phantom flan flinger on to pie them.. lol;-)
  • clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well past its peak but the only gameshow I've ever enjoyed. If there aren't any nail biting general knowledge questions I'm just not interested.
  • James_MonnellyJames_Monnelly Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happens if the last contestant runs out of time?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happens if the last contestant runs out of time?

Well its never happened, But I think they'd just lose as if they'd given a wrong answer..
  • TVScourgeTVScourge Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Kitt 2000 wrote: »
    Well its never happened, But I think they'd just lose as if they'd given a wrong answer..

That simply won't happen. It would be a massive kick in the teeth to screw over the celebrities just because the klaxon sounded on the last ever show. Biggest travesty I've ever watched, so just let the contestant be the master of their destiny.

The biggest anticlimax I reckon would be like the US WWTBAM 10th anniversary series. On the final episode of the commemorative series, the last public contestant got the 15th question, and got it wrong. Lost nearly all. Biggest loss on US Millionaire on what was supposed to be a celebratory occasion.
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ITV killed it off years ago when they just wanted zelebs >:(>:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexandra and David were painful to watch during the recording, they seemed to forget the clock!

I actually think they ran out of time on the £10,000 question so said 'Take the money' but Chris said 'The clock ran out so you would have been taking the money anyway'

Clever editing on TV of course to hide that ;-)
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    Omg, where did these two go to school? El tono ffs. The answers in the question.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elton John surely
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    Elton John surely

Correct...:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jimmy has lost a ton of weight a really toned up as can be seen in those Thomson Holiday ads
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Notice the magical audience change between Alexandra and David leaving and Dom and James arriving :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Correct...:)

Hi gs :):) We couldn't not miss this last show could we :D
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    El Tono ,Piano Keys, Football i.e Watford.
    Thank goodness two people with brain cells have come on.
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    El Tono ,Piano Keys, Football i.e Watford.
    Thank goodness two people with brain cells have come on.

We knew we weren't dealing with the Brains Trust when they wasted a 50/50 on what colour a £10 note is. :)
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has James Nesbitt been on a diet?
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His hair has got bigger