Options

Disapointed with the new series of Birds of a Feather?

Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is anyone else? I am a HUGE fan and was so happy when it got a new series last year. That series was ok overall though not as good as the original run.

This new series (so far) has been really poor scripts Pauline, Linda & Lesley deserve so much more than this. The new Garth is just as weak as the McBusted guy imo perhaps a little better but not much.

I am really hoping it gets better as I know its capable of greatness, I watched the 1993 Xmas special "It Happened in Hollywood" last night on the Drama channel and my goodness that was like a thousand x better than the new episodes.

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    Is anyone else? I am a HUGE fan and was so happy when it got a new series last year. That series was ok overall though not as good as the original run.

This new series (so far) has been really poor scripts Pauline, Linda & Lesley deserve so much more than this. The new Garth is just as weak as the McBusted guy imo perhaps a little better but not much.

I am really hoping it gets better as I know its capable of greatness, I watched the 1993 Xmas special "It Happened in Hollywood" last night on the Drama channel and my goodness that was like a thousand x better than the new episodes.

What do you think?

I think there is already a thread for this.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »

Yes but I couldn't be bothered searching I am lazy like that. ;-)
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should never have been revived
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Yes but I couldn't be bothered searching I am lazy like that. ;-)

Just a bit more effort required on occasion then perhaps! It is on page one of this forum after all!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torch81 wrote: »
    Just a bit more effort required on occasion then perhaps! It is on page one of this forum after all!

Not when I made this thread it wasn't.
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,105
    Forum Member
    Not when I made this thread it wasn't.

How do you know if you didn't look? :p:D
  • Options
    Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What do you think?

Just to answer your question and not have pop about there being another thread :)

I was also looking forward to the new series but it is awful, there seems to be no real storyline to the episodes. The last one I saw was the one where they were going to Tenerife but never went.

The jokes are old, the actors who play traceys sons are wooden and even Dorians not making me crack a smile so unfortunately I won't bother watching any more :(
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the feeling I get its like they didn't expect a 2nd series and the scripts were rushed.
    The Casting of the new Garthy is just a disaster. The Australian GF/daughter were bad enough but it seems they decided to forget Garths back story and just make a mini Daryl/Del boy The guy cant even act making it even worse.

At this rate it wont be back for a 3rd series they have totally blown it IMHO
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    It's not what it was but it's still better then most comedy output on ITV.

If it brings in the ratings it will keep going until the three leads want to stop.

Not a fan of the new Garth - when did the character suddenly become a thick Neanderthal? More realistic now though of the sort of people who live in Chigwell though.
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was only mildly funny the first time, and they managed to make it worse... quite an achievement.
  • Options
    ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I think the quality is still pretty much the same as last series, but I do think that the show got lost in the Christmas TV schedules. Boxing Day was an awful day to launch a new series of a comedy - why didn't they broadcast it on the same day as the new Benidorm and have a comedy double bill is beyond me.
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    I think the quality is still pretty much the same as last series, but I do think that the show got lost in the Christmas TV schedules. Boxing Day was an awful day to launch a new series of a comedy - why didn't they broadcast it on the same day as the new Benidorm and have a comedy double bill is beyond me.

I agree about the scheduling, Benidorm and Birds are surely an ideal combination with a shared audience.

As for the show, I thought the Boxing Day one was poor, but the 2nd episode was better.
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same corny old jokes
    Well past it's sell by date
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really enjoying it. It's still making me smile anyway :) loved Dorien's face going in that cake :D
  • Options
    terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liked the original series to start with. Stopped watching when that awful ugly Dorian character became central to the show.
  • Options
    SarahKSarahK Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with the comments about Garth. The jokes are becoming old too. Shame as the original BBC series was really good.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't really keen first time around, but this offering is just awful.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed last year's series but this series so far has been very disappointing. The Christmas special was joke-free, but last week's was mildly amusing. I agree with the comments about Garth - the whole point of his character was always that he was relatively intelligent and perceptive in spite of his age, and in contrast to the other characters. Travis now serves that purpose very well, so Garth just isn't needed.
  • Options
    knawtitypaosknawtitypaos Posts: 452
    Forum Member

What do you think?

What on God's little green earth were you expecting!?!?!?!? It was rubbish when it was on the BBC. It ain't gonna get better
  • Options
    sorrellsorrell Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm completely staggered by the fact that it's back at all - It's always been totally unfunny, now it's just unfunny and about 30 years past it's sell by date!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What on God's little green earth were you expecting!?!?!?!? It was rubbish when it was on the BBC. It ain't gonna get better

Except it wasn't.

The first six series of the original BBC series that aired between 1989 & 1994 were all GOLD.
  • Options
    Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in my opinion they should have left it in the 90s where it belongs. Why do old shows need to be revived? I mean were talking over 15 yrs here fgs!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in my opinion they should have left it in the 90s where it belongs. Why do old shows need to be revived? I mean were talking over 15 yrs here fgs!

It really only came back with the success of the stage show they did.
    given the weakness of the scripts 2nd series I think maybe the BBC only wanting specials might have been the best option.
  • Options
    Bonnie ScotlandBonnie Scotland Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many things that are brought back / re-booted whether tv or movies are ever as good as the originals, for me not many.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many things that are brought back / re-booted whether tv or movies are ever as good as the originals, for me not many.

agree
    look at upstairs downstairs the Christmas Episodes were really good in the reboot as soon as it became a proper series the scripts just fell apart and the series was axed.
    BOAF on BBC had quite naughty storylines and language but tied in with decent scripts. having Tracey sitting there like lou beale didn't really work the first time and now she's older its making her a complete waste of space without harping on about Daryl every 10 seconds and Sharon not slagging Chris off they seem totally surplus.

Dorien is the only character that's really kept her original role and the show is now centred around her