Options

Kettlebells

MaxCherryMaxCherry Posts: 9,013
Forum Member
Anyone had any experience of doing Kettlebell programmes? I'm seriously considering it. From what i've read so far it sounds great, but I'm looking for real life experiences.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Dangerous.DaveDangerous.Dave Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are a fad.

Get some weights, dumbbells and a barbell.
  • Options
    x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do Kettleworx and so far seeing results, it's hard work though, and the set is quite expensive but there are other kettlebell workout DVDs for a fraction of the cost.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are a fad.

they are definitely not a fad and a suitable alternative to traditional weights to give a good balanced workout that includes resistance training and cardio.

OP - check your local gyms, schools, internet, etc to see if there are any classes nearby that you can attend for a couple of weeks to get an idea of how to use them safely. There are loads of tutorials on youtube, etc but I do advise for the initial period to get some training from a person rather then online.
  • Options
    joijijoiji Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are a fad.

Athletes have used kettle balls for use.
    c4rv wrote: »
    they are definitely not a fad and a suitable alternative to traditional weights to give a good balanced workout that includes resistance training and cardio.

OP - check your local gyms, schools, internet, etc to see if there are any classes nearby that you can attend for a couple of weeks to get an idea of how to use them safely. There are loads of tutorials on youtube, etc but I do advise for the initial period to get some training from a person rather then online.

BIB! Agreed it can be an excellent and effective workout, but it is important to use the correct technique.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »

There is no way you can get a proper all-over workout with kettlebells.

They may be some use for cardio/core strength training but you cannot properly target muscle groups with them.

I can say with some confidence that nobody will be talking about them in 5 years and they will be gathering dust under beds all over the country.
  • Options
    MaxCherryMaxCherry Posts: 9,013
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the responses guys.
    I used to be a member at Virgin and wish I would have attended one of the classes.
    I've recently seen a vibrating KB which incorporates vibration training. I've used PowerPlate in the past.
    I've been looking at the Kelltleworx DVD sets but they are a bit pricy. I agree though from what i've read it seems the worst thing you can do it guess/go into it blindly as you can do more harm than good.
    Thanks again :)
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They may be some use for cardio/core strength training but you cannot properly target muscle groups with them.

I can say with some confidence that nobody will be talking about them in 5 years and they will be gathering dust under beds all over the country.

I'm no expert, I have only done a couple of kettle bell classes and they were definitely extremely difficult and kettlebells are widely used in MMA gyms globally for the all overwork you can get. Check online, there are plenty of exercises targeting every major muscle group you can think off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The kettle ball has been used for over 300 years. I myself have been actively been involved in sport both in a competitive and coaching nature over the last 25 years. I have been involved with athletes competing upto National Level. I can say with some confidence it will still be used and spoken about in 5 years time, but will also agree some people may store theirs under the bed just as they may have a bicycle gathering dust in the garage.
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love kettlebells and I am a complete gym phobic. I did a 6 week class, bought a set and now I do them at home. I recommend Kettlercise from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kettlercise-Just-Women-Set-DVD/dp/B0052K7IDA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1330373951&sr=8-4

There is a DVD set for men and women. I find they're good for strength and have helped me to build up a sore shoulder (I have RSI from sitting a Mac all my life). It's also very quick to work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joiji wrote: »
    The kettle ball has been used for over 300 years. I myself have been actively been involved in sport both in a competitive and coaching nature over the last 25 years. I have been involved with athletes competing upto National Level. I can say with some confidence it will still be used and spoken about in 5 years time, but will also agree some people may store theirs under the bed just as they may have a bicycle gathering dust in the garage.

I've been weight training for a similar length of time you have been involved in sport, been to countless gyms and can honestly say I have only really seen them used over the past year or two.

Perhaps I have simply completely overlooked them, but to me there seems to be a bit of a "craze" about them recently, and i've seen numerous pieces of equipment come and go over the years. But the barbell and dumbbell cannot be surpassed imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadow27 wrote: »
    I love kettlebells and I am a complete gym phobic..

a note to Dangerous Dave

And Dave this is why the the latest fads and crazes are brilliant. They motivate people who are getting a little bored or stagnated in their training, but more importantly you find people who have never previous taken part in sport/ fitness/physical activity having a go and taking part - and that's what it's all about.
    In fact all these so called new crazes and fads are not new, they are exercises and training methods that have been used by sportsmeng and athletes,for years. It's pure marketing to generate interest and sell physical activity in an appealing enjoyable way.

One last quick puzzler,
    Effectively a dumbbell /barbell and a kettle ball are hand weights, you can perform the same/similar exercises with them, so I don't understand how a kettle ball does not give the same results or how you say you cannot target muscle groups with it?:confused:
    As for cardio and core strength value surely all 3 would be off similar value if performed with correct technique?

I look forward to your veiws:)