Poll: Were Alec Baldwin comments homophobic?

Comments

• pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Why not? Comments implying homosexuality are quite often used to insult straight men.
    Sure, but in a different way, I think.

I'm sure we've got plenty of straight men on here - any of you ever been insulted by being told you'll have something shoved up your arse and you'll enjoy it?
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Glowbot wrote: »
    I'm not saying he can't say it. I'm saying its homophobic.

It's not even close to being homophobic.
    Forum Member
    pickwick wrote: »
    Sure, but in a different way, I think.

I'm sure we've got plenty of straight men on here - any of you ever been insulted by being told you'll have something shoved up your arse and you'll enjoy it?

Nope. Would never get insulted with it at all.

I would see that personally as a joke. To many people get insulted far too easily these days. About time people grew a pair!!
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I would argue that it is homophobic verbology. A heteronormative attempt to debase and demean.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    It's not even close to being homophobic.

Well thanks for the in-depth debate.:yawn:
  • TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    As a gay person I fully admit that some gay people act like queens, and I don't think it's necessarily wrong to call him out on that, but what it has to do with his work as a journalist is questionable. Then he talked about the journalist liking Alec's foot up his ass, so in my opinion he used (supposed) sexuality to discredit someone. I'd say that was the definition of homophobia.
    Forum Member
    Well thanks for the in-depth debate.:yawn:

I'm sorry. I didnt realise that disagreeing with you required a huge debate.....

I think you're being pointlessly over sensitive and being outraged for the sake of it.

That any better for you?....:rolleyes:
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    TYCO wrote: »
    As a gay person I fully admit that some gay people act like queens, and I don't think it's necessarily wrong to call him out on that, but what it has to do with his work as a journalist is questionable. Then he talked about the journalist liking Alec's foot up his ass, so in my opinion he used (supposed) sexuality to discredit someone. I'd say that was the definition of homophobia.

I agree - the homophobia comes from it being an insult unrelated to the action Baldwin was criticising. Had he said 'toxic little hack' then that would be an insult still, but one directly related to the issue at hand.
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry. I didnt realise that disagreeing with you required a huge debate.....

I think you're being pointlessly over sensitive and being outraged for the sake of it.

Hello, fellow Dundonian. (The following is on the basis that you grew up there.)

Now that I've noticed where you're from, I can sympathise with your lack of compassion for others and failure to recognise the validity of the well thought arguments some of us have put across during the debate. I understand why you lack the ability to express your own feelings in a coherent and mature way. Somewhere in your life the educational facilities available to you have let you down. Don't worry that's entirely normal for Dundonians. The good news is you're in exactly the right place. The internet is a place where you can communicate with and thereby learn from others, so keep reading (well done by the way) and soon you'll grow.

P.s Don't be pointlessly oversensitive about and outraged by my comments.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a bloody joke for gods sake. I think a child would understand that.

There is a huge difference between a joke and someone actually doing something...
    It wasn't a joke at all. He said it in anger.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not remotely outraged or sensitive. I'm just calling it for what it is.
    I've no idea why you are defending his words, further than the fact that he has the right to be a ranty homophobe as we all do.
    Hello, fellow Dundonian. (The following is on the basis that you grew up there.)

Now that I've noticed where you're from, I can sympathise with your lack of compassion for others and failure to recognise the validity of the well thought arguments some of us have put across during the debate. I understand why you lack the ability to express your own feelings in a coherent and mature way. Somewhere in your life the educational facilities available to you have let you down. Don't worry that's entirely normal for Dundonians. The good news is you're in exactly the right place. The internet is a place where you can communicate with and thereby learn from others, so keep reading (well done by the way) and soon you'll grow.

P.s Don't be pointlessly oversensitive about and outraged by my comments.
    Oh I'm an ex dundonian too lol.
    I'm outraged by your dundoniaphobia. ;):D
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    I agree.

If what he is saying is true and his wife was not using her phone during the funeral (and honestly would anyone be stupid enough to tweet while at a funeral - it would be bound to be picked up) then he obviously just got very angry at this insinuation. And I don't blame him.

That Mail article was vicious.

I agree too. He was understandably annoyed, and his comments reflected his opinion about the journo in question, rather than any homophobia.
    Forum Member

P.s Don't be pointlessly oversensitive by my comments.

I know. Most of them are thick as shit.

Thankfully i'm not from here, nor even close to here. I simply moved here 3 years ago with my Mrs as her work brought her to this cesspit.

Thankfully we are moving from this absolute dump in a few months so you can feel free to wallow in it as long as you like!

Nice try though to insult me, but it won't work! You however did make yourself look rather daft for reasons i'm sure you won't get.

Now, getting back to the original point, the comments in my opinion are maybe are out of order, but any sane person can see they are not homophobic in the slightest. To many people on here like you are over analyzing the comments to make it look like they are homophobic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a huge difference between a joke and someone actually doing something...
    So just to be clear, you're fine with guys angrily telling women they'll kick them in the ****, etc? Because if they're not actually doing it, it's OK?
    jesaya wrote: »
    Yes, I think the comments were homophobic. Alec Baldwin has actually been very supportive of LGBT issues in the US however. so I guess he was doing as many people have done when angry, use insulting language that in more sober moments they would be appalled at.
    Ah, I didn't know he was an LGBT advocate. Yeah, I'm even more convinced then it's just subliminal social stuff coming out in uncontrolled anger.
    Forum Member
    bookaddict wrote: »
    I agree too. He was understandably annoyed, and his comments reflected his opinion about the journo in question, rather than any homophobia.

I don't think anyone disagrees that he had a right to be annoyed. But when you focus on someone's "weakness" (which is what homophobic people think homosexuality is) in an effort to insult them, especially when it has nothing to do with the situation, it's homophobia.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. Would never get insulted with it at all.

I would see that personally as a joke. To many people get insulted far too easily these days. About time people grew a pair!!
    I meant "has anyone ever said it to you (in an attempt to insult)". And apparently they haven't, since you say you WOULD see it as a joke. So that kind of backs up the "wouldn't say it to a straight guy" idea...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know. Most of them are thick as shit.

Thankfully i'm not from here, nor even close to here. I simply moved here 3 years ago with my Mrs as her work brought her to this cesspit.

Thankfully we are moving from this absolute dump in a few months so you can feel free to wallow in it as long as you like!

Nice try though to insult me, but it won't work! You however did make yourself look rather daft for reasons i'm sure you won't get.

Now, getting back to the original point, the comments in my opinion are maybe are out of order, but any sane person can see they are not homophobic in the slightest. To many people on here like you are over analyzing the comments to make it look like they are homophobic.
    Tyco wasn't trying to insult you, they were trying to get you to understand the point.

I actually think Dundee is quite nice, but that's another topic.
    Forum Member
    pickwick wrote: »
    I meant "has anyone ever said it to you (in an attempt to insult)". And apparently they haven't, since you say you WOULD see it as a joke. So that kind of backs up the "wouldn't say it to a straight guy" idea...

Well to be honest, when i first saw it i laughed as its something i have said and had said to me. Not once has either me or the other people been insulted. I guess we all have different things we get insulted by..
    Forum Member
    I

No actually, my point still stands. You are unable to debate in a reasonable manner and I still believe that the internet will help you improve your deficiencies. My only point about Dundee was that it may help to explain your deficiencies. The fact that you weren't born there doesn't mean you don't have them. Education has still failed you. Be it at a civic level or purely the upbringing from your parents.

PS I was only joking. Can't you take a joke?
    Forum Member
    Tyco wasn't trying to insult you, they were trying to get you to understand the point.

I'm perfectly aware of what he was doing. It was still overly pointless. If people get insulted this easily, i think personally it's time they grew up a bit.

I just dont think its homophobic in the slightest.
    I actually think Dundee is quite nice, but that's another topic.

Well we differ here as well!! But yes, another topic.
    Forum Member
    I'm perfectly aware of what he was doing. It was still overly pointless. If people get insulted this easily, i think personally it's time they grew up a bit.

But you got insulted because you reacted with insults. That's what humans do when they're insulted.
    Forum Member
    No actually, my point still stands. You are unable to debate in a reasonable manner and I still believe that the internet will help you improve your deficiencies. My only point about Dundee was that it may help to explain your deficiencies. The fact that you weren't born there doesn't mean you don't have them. Education has still failed you. Be it at a civic level or purely the upbringing from your parents.

I don't have to debate in any manner. I simply disagree the comments are homophobic.

You are attempting to insult me mentioning my parents and education. It still wont work! I'm man enough not to be insulted by people that dont agree with my views!!

Maybe you should take heed....
    Forum Member
    But you got insulted because you reacted with insults. That's what humans do when they're insulted.

I didn't get insulted anywhere....:confused:

I responded with my opinions of the place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I just dont think its homophobic in the slightest.

Well we differ here as well!! But yes, another topic.

Well then let's see;

directed at a gay person -tick
    Include a gay slur - tick
    Suggest violent act towards a gay person involving anal sex- tick

Oh no wait, it was a friendly joke... They must be great friends eh? ;)
    Forum Member
    I simply disagree the comments are homophobic.

We just find it amusing that you're willing to make a statement but not able to explain it.
    You are attempting to insult me mentioning my parents and education. It still wont work! I'm man enough not to be insulted by people that dont agree with my views!! .

I'm not attempting, I'm succeeding. As I pointed out in my other post, you're readable like a book as all humans are. Anyway I think I've made my point and I'd like to say that I don't stand by any insults I've put toward you during the course of the argument. I merely wanted you to recognise that we're all capable of insulting people and taking offence in the heat of the moment. That doesn't make everything we say and do right.

The issue here is how you choose to insult someone: which methods are justifiable and which aren't. A persons race, religion or sexuality are at the top of the 'not' list.