Madonna Appreciation Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She apologized so to me it seems churlish to go on and on about it. It's easy to judge her but let's be honest, we've all posted ridiculous things on social media sometimes. But we aren't judged by the whole word because we aren't famous She said it was wrong. I don't see why people don't just accept her apology and move on. So she basically agrees with you that it was wrong.
    She posts pictures of Rocco but how does she encourage people to follow him? I don't even know what his instagram name is. I don't know if she has ever posted it.
    What's wrong with saying if you don't like it, don't buy it or don't follow. I think everyone on social media has the right to post whatever they want and handle their account how they want. If you don't like it or it offends you, then you don't have to look at it. I see nothing wrong with saying that.
    Clearly, Rocco listens to a lot of hip hop and the n word is used as an affectionate term in that type of music. So clearly she was playing off of that not being racist or whatever people are implying. I think he's a teenager having fun. He's not a gangster whose going out and committing crimes and robbing people etc. so I think people should just chill and let him be a kid. You can't ban all teenagers from listening to rap, it's part of our culture now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TH14 wrote: »
    You said it's weird to follow children on social media which implies a lot really and that was a stupid thing to say. Also, Madonna's shit smells of roses all the time to you so if you think her behaviours fine then so be it but I think she's been careless and silly

Why is that a stupid thing to say? Personally, I think it's weird to follow not just kids but any relative or spouse of a celebrity who themselves isn't in the entertainment business just because they are related to a musician you like and not because you know them personally or are into their work.
    I agree it was silly, but I think people are getting far too bent out of shape about it. It was a stupid joke and she apologized. People really need to move on and not make this a hatefest against her.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    Why is that a stupid thing to say? Personally, I think it's weird to follow not just kids but any relative or spouse of a celebrity who themselves isn't in the entertainment business just because they are related to a musician you like and not because you know them personally or are into their work.
    I agree it was silly, but I think people are getting far too bent out of shape about it. It was a stupid joke and she apologized. People really need to move on and not make this a hatefest against her.

I think some people, like Madonna, should think before they post things. If you can't see why saying 'I think you're weird for following kids on Instagram' can be taken to be offensive then I give up
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You said it's weird to follow children on social media which implies a lot really and that was a stupid thing to say.

Also, Madonna's shit smells of roses all the time to you so if you think her behaviours fine then so be it but I think she's been careless and silly

not really, because that is what i feel from a personal prospective and i am not judging other people as a result of how i feel.

there are clearly people making personal judgements here though, but its not me posting in this way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think some people, like Madonna, should think before they post things. If you can't see why saying 'I think you're weird for following kids on Instagram' can be taken to be offensive then I give up

Everyone should think before they post things on social media, not just Madonna or famous people. Lots of employers look at social media and don't hire people if they see something offensive. But the fact is people don't think before posting. We all make mistakes and post things we shouldn't. It's part of being human. I didn't say you were weird for following kids on instagram. You can follow whoever you want. I said I personally would feel weird about following a celebrity's child on social media unless I know them personally. That's just my personal feeling and decision. You are free to make a different decision if you want. But I don't see the point of following someone's child They aren't releasing music or making movies. What's the point?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone should think before they post things on social media, not just Madonna or famous people. Lots of employers look at social media and don't hire people if they see something offensive. But the fact is people don't think before posting. We all make mistakes and post things we shouldn't. It's part of being human. I didn't say you were weird for following kids on instagram. You can follow whoever you want. I said I personally would feel weird about following a celebrity's child on social media unless I know them personally. That's just my personal feeling and decision. You are free to make a different decision if you want. But I don't see the point of following someone's child They aren't releasing music or making movies. What's the point?

You said it's weird to follow kids on Instagram not that you would feel weird following kids on Instagram. It's a really crude thing to say when you think about it and pretty understandable that if you direct that at someone then they will feel quite offended by it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That Instagram post was really stupid, and so was the apology - what 55 year old white woman uses that word as a 'term of endearment' for her son? I mean... :confused:

I don't care if it was an in-joke or that it's Madonna's 'personal' account on social media. I'm not for giving that word more power than it deserves, but it's not Madonna's place to use it. Especially as someone who has campaigned for equality through the years and has adopted two black children - and if that's a 'term of endearment' for her white son what does she call them? :confused:

She should get a grip, and should seek attention for her music, not crap like this. I expect better from her. This reeks of trying to be 'down with the #kidz' and she needs to grow up a bit.

I had high hopes for her next record approaching a level of higher maturity than MDNA or Hard Candy because of secretprojectrevolution but it's looking increasingly likely that we'll be getting a Grammys performance with Katy Perry and an album produced by an iPad.

I agree with the Instagram stuff but I still have a lot of confidence she will produce a really good album at some point. MDNA had some flashes of brilliance and if she puts her heart into it and chooses the right producers then it will be spot on
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You said it's weird to follow kids on Instagram not that you would feel weird following kids on Instagram. It's a really crude thing to say when you think about it and pretty understandable that if you direct that at someone then they will feel quite offended by it.

If you read my post very carefully I said it's creepy and weird for me to follow kids and that's why I don't. I was explaining why I personally don't follow Rocco. Nowhere did I say no one should follow Rocco and they're weird if they do. Everyone can make their own decision as to who they feel comfortable following. I was not directing anything negative at you, I was explaining why I personally don't follow Rocco. I apologize if I came off wrong as if I was attacking you, which was not my intention at all. Everyone can make their own decision who to follow and I don't judge that at all. I just personally don't feel comfortable following kids of celebrities.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you read my post very carefully I said it's creepy and weird for me to follow kids and that's why I don't. I was explaining why I personally don't follow Rocco. Nowhere did I say no one should follow Rocco and they're weird if they do. Everyone can make their own decision as to who they feel comfortable following. I was not directing anything negative at you, I was explaining why I personally don't follow Rocco. I apologize if I came off wrong as if I was attacking you, which was not my intention at all. Everyone can make their own decision who to follow and I don't judge that at all. I just personally don't feel comfortable following kids of celebrities.

I could provide quote after quote of people saying 'it's weird to follow kids' not ' It would feel weird to me if I followed kids'. I follow Rocco but not in any 'weird' way and he runs a pretty good account even though I think he can be an idiot at times. Anyway, thanks for clarifying that you meant nothing untoward and sinister because it could imply something pretty sick otherwise
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    I agree with the Instagram stuff but I still have a lot of confidence she will produce a really good album at some point. MDNA had some flashes of brilliance and if she puts her heart into it and chooses the right producers then it will be spot on

MDNA is a solid three-star dance-pop record, and it's really nothing more than that for me.

Madonna's the greatest pop artist of the last three decades, and has made some of the best records of all time in any genre.

I don't think I'm wrong to expect more from her at this point. MDNA certainly had flashes of brilliance - I'm Addicted, Love Spent, Falling Free and Gang Bang are all top-notch, creative pop music. And it had a few other nice tracks - I'm a Sinner, Best Friend, I F**ked Up, Masterpiece, Beautiful Killer. But I can take or leave the rest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MDNA is a solid three-star dance-pop record, and it's really nothing more than that for me.

Madonna's the greatest pop artist of the last three decades, and has made some of the best records of all time in any genre.

I don't think I'm wrong to expect more from her at this point. MDNA certainly had flashes of brilliance - I'm Addicted, Love Spent, Falling Free and Gang Bang are all top-notch, creative pop music. And it had a few other nice tracks - I'm a Sinner, Best Friend, I F**ked Up, Masterpiece, Beautiful Killer. But I can take or leave the rest.

I think she was too,occupied with W.E at the time and I always had the feeling that LiveNation were putting her under pressure to get a tour underway do she had to do something and I don't think her heart was truly in it. She promoted the hell out of W.E and even promoted her perfume but did the bare minimum for MDNA and went straight into tour mode which never gave the album a chance. Hopefully, next time she will do the album because she wants it and will find some fresh inspiration and will pick the right producers. William a orbit said a few things on Facebook which didn't go down well with her management so he may have burned a few bridges but I'd love for her to work with Pat Leonard again along with another producer to keep things fresh
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the double standards in the use of certain terms really annoys me to be honest. if the term is deemed so offensive, then no one has any place using that term, not just madonna. however, the word in question is used extensively in the rap music scene, but apparently its fine to use it in that context.:confused:

its like when gay people label themselves derogatory terms for fun or whatever, only then to take offence by the same terms when a heterosexual person uses it. its wrong on both levels, quite frankly.

i accept her apology. she's learned the hard way that people, including her fans apparently, can hide behind keyboards judging you solely on a badly chosen word and can make a drama out of a crisis.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could provide quote after quote of people saying 'it's weird to follow kids' not ' It would feel weird to me if I followed kids'. I follow Rocco but not in any 'weird' way and he runs a pretty good account even though I think he can be an idiot at times. Anyway, thanks for clarifying that you meant nothing untoward and sinister because it could imply something pretty sick otherwise

To clarify further, I don't think that people that follow kids of celebrities are pedophiles or anything like that, I just think it's a little weird for me personally when people want to know everything about a celebrity's private life. I personally am interested in a celebrity's work not their private relationships. I would feel just as weird following an adult a celebrity is or was in a romantic relationship with or an adult relative of them because these people aren't famous themselves, but are only famous because of their relative or spouse/partner etc. For me, it feels invasive to follow them.
    The reason I think it's weird to follow kids is not because I think people that do it might be pedophiles. That thought actually never crossed my mind until you mentioned it. I think it's weird because kids aren't celebrities by their own choice, only because who their parents are which they had no choice in. I just feel it's invasive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In relation to the Grammys, it's rumoured she might perform with Nile Rodgers and Daft Punk. What do people think about her getting Nile to produce another record with her? I think it would be cool
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think the ongoing discussion ironically highlights how easily people can be offended by the implications of other peoples words and even when the complaints are completely unfolded, the bottom line is nobody likes being judged over their choices or over having their words twisted.;-)

i will defend madonna in this instance, not because i love everything she s**ts, but because she has a right to express herself on social media in a way that she feels is true to her. she apologised for her ill chosen words and i have to respect her for that. people have openly discussed her parenting skills, the suitability of the material she posts and even the intellectual compatibility of who she chooses to spend time with has been questioned, but its her life and her decisions ultimately. "poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another".:cool:

as for the grammys, i just hope her foot fully heals and doesn't ruin any potential collaboration tbh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Kanye West on Madonna in his new Interview Magazine interview:
    Madonna, I think, is the greatest visual musical artist that we’ve ever had.
    If you look at her photo log, the photographers that she was able to work with throughout her career framed her in the proper way.
    It was the proper context.
    It was that visual that made sure that everything was gonna cut through in a certain way.

:kitty: :kitty: :kitty:
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Kanye West on Madonna in his new Interview Magazine interview:

:kitty: :kitty: :kitty:

She has done some amazing photos especially her pre fame ones and her 80s/90s ones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna was seen at the airport in NY on the way to LA so I think she is definitely going to the Grammys. She was off crutches so her foot seems to be much better. Her plane was delayed though due to snow.
    Nile Rodgers said something on twitter about the snow affecting his big plans. So maybe that's a clue he is performing with Madonna. I can't see her performing with any of the other nominees other than Daft Punk, Nile and Pharrell. It's the only matchup that makes sense. Omar Hakim who was in her Girlie Show Band is also performing with Daft Punk so maybe there's another clue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna. Daft Punk. Nile.....would be INSANE...and a total dream of mine....in my mind when i think of Touch i think oooh Waiting or SKin lyrically would fit into context....would adore it and reckon it would be a true beautiful performance ...and sincerely hope it is true.

ANd hopefully will then kick this next era teasing and album for later this year rumours going too...would be ebautiful...heres to it...M is training hard for whatever it is....has to be said if it was another other Poptart/popstarlet nominee i wouldnt be as excited...but somethinv fresh and different like what M did with gorillaz in 2006 would just be insane for this year!

also would clarify if indeed DP were involved some way on the next album....also Nile would be a kick as reunion! adore the production on the LAV album.

Speaking of which...you guys seen the pictures circulating of M and Martin Burgoyne? 1982 - 1985 images of him and M...she stood by his side until his death in 1986...and inspired/influenced the song In This Life. Beautiful photos and just shows in 30 plus years she is still the same woman! Powerful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i am pleased the crutches are gone, but i do worry about her and its stupid really.:blush: what's with the face masks though?:confused: its probably like the grills really, it means nothing of any major significance, but it generates speculation and media coverage.;-)

she's obviously up to something and i just hope whatever she has planned comes to fruition.:)

and yes josh, i saw the images. a lot of retro pictures have done the rounds in recent times through various sources. it could all be a coincidence, but she could be feeling a bit nostalgic and could be looking back to the past to find renewed inspiration. sometimes you have to go backwards in order to move forwards.;-)
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pics of the Grammy seating has leaked and apparently Madonna is sitting next to Katy Perry. So it defo looks like she will be there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's also being rumoured that Madonna will perform on 5 February in Brooklyn at an Amnesty International Benefit. Some of the members of Pussy Riot will also be there.

http://gothamist.com/2014/01/23/madonna_playing_amnesty_internation.php
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okies so...my two pennies...i am not sure if the grammy "seating" is real but she is definitely confirmed to have flown to the event and is practising...also Pussy Riot are in the US...shall we take a guess at the fact that Madonna and Pussy Riot could make a massive event at the grammys to speak of feminism and human rights by reworking Ms classics into that direction (most contain that theme/symbolism anyway which i adore!) and combine with Pussy Riot and make a statement...it would be really cool and different.

I mean..i dont wanna sound dissy but Madonna performinv with Katy Perry or Beyonce would not make sense in an artistic way nor beneficial way...also not the biggest fan of either...either. But that aside i just do not think that will work...Madonna and Pussy Riot or to that vein would be so cool and pay ode to Madonnas starts in NYC too...and would really tie aspects of the Art Freedom campaigns and push into the next album/era whih is being presumed to be in work and play now....so will be awesome in spades.

We shall see....but i feel that would work....if eprforming with a nominee something insane with Daft Punk and Nile would be epic....or maybe she is simply just presenting a award/event at the grammys? i do not know but time shall tell.

But the event will be shown on 4music next Monday :).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    also....gigi (kinda relevant to Madonna but not quite)...checked out goldfrapps latest...i like a couple of sonvs on Tales of Us bu on the whole i fid it their moodiest work to date...may buy it when cheap (much cheaper) for completeist sake....but...saying that also been hearing IAMAMIWHOAMI and i love these album campaigns...having full albums of work represented in viral vieos/marketing videos and indeed just simply releasinv the whole album visually leading up to and beyond album release.

Daft Punk and Arcade Fire kinda did this last year too with sensational arty campaigns ...and (while not a massive fan of) Beyonce has kinda brought it to the maisntream this whole release the whole album as a surprise thing.

So i think with all this info...the next step for Madonna i reckon would be viral marketings, key guerilla performances/live concerts and then BAM a full album of visuals and audios ....uniting both the hype marketing AND the massive music event marketing she does so well without going overboard in either sense....thus not "needing" a number 1 single to sell (not saying that wont happen as surprises have happened) ....anyways just airing ideas out there.
    Am ure she is planning way ahead too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if she takes any "tips" from beyonce marketing wise, then i think she'll tour without a new album. it would be a huge brand strengthening exercise and the casual fans would finally get what they've always wanted, a proper greatest hits tour. for whatever reason, the more i think about it, the more i feel that might be what is going to happen next.

of course, i would love a new album first, but i wonder if she will have her business head on and see the bigger picture. album sales are in toilet generally at this time, while a tour would bring in the dollars for live nation and it could bring a lot of casual fans back on board. whatever people say about her live performances, everybody knows the gems in her back catalogue, people also know she puts on a spectacle live and puts 100% into her shows.

i could be way off the mark, but it wouldn't surprise me and i think i might start saving just in case.:blush: