Sorry I Dont like Flying!

Comments

• LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont find it scary, just incredibly boring, cramped and uncomfortable. I also hate airports!

Same here.

Flying also makes my hands and feet swell painfully and makes my sinuses hurt.

I love flying in little planes though, and flying lessons is on my lottery list. I love the idea of being able to charter a plane and fly myself if I wanted to go somewhere!
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    I love flying - fascinated by the whole process :)

Take-off is the most exciting - listening to the engines roaring up, then picking up speed and eventually lifting up, with the landscape whizzing passed the windows.
    ....And then, once airbourne, looking at the 'cotton wool' clouds beneath.

The only downside to flying is the hellhole that is the airport terminal - stressing, faffing about with finding the gate, going through check-in and searches, hanging around for ages because you've been told to get there hours in advance. Urgh.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    STeely wrote: »
    i stopped flying about 5yrs ago
    coming back from Munich ,there was some severe turbulence and well it put my off for good ,i just couldn't fly anymore ,the thought scares me to much.

Anyone else not flyer?

btw i know it limits my travel options and annoys my boyfriend since he want to travel ,yes i also know how safe flying is too.

I've only flown two or three times short haul to Germany. The views and the fluffy clouds were good. I prefer to travel by train and the check in times at airports are a real buzz killer. Also, you can walk around a train much more than you can do so on an aircraft or even get off at certain long stop stations. I don't feel particularly comfortable knowing I'm surrounded by barely half an inch of fuselage 30k+ feet in the air. That's the thing isn't it. An aircraft breaks down when flying, chances are you'll die. If a train breaks down, you just come to a stop. However, in either case, you're far more likely to snuff if driving to the airport or to the train (*) station.

(*) Smacks hand. It's a rail station.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite enjoy flying. I'm always on long haul flights so I've grown accustomed to it.
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    I quite enjoy flying. I'm always on long haul flights so I've grown accustomed to it.

I've been on many long haul flights and I've hated every one to date - even short haul ones.

I just hate travelling, my stomach hates it.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    I love flying and don't feel remotely apprehensive about it... I love airport shopping too.

Me too!

I absolutely LOVE going away.

For me, the holiday starts when you stay at a airport hotel, the night before you fly. If you check-in online and have carry on luggage, you can breeze through the airport.

Then its hit the shops, have a drink (sometimes you get good deals in the VIP lounges), board the aircrraft and sleep!
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoy the whole experience. The flight itself, hanging around the airport for hours, looking around the shops, people watching. Most of my flights are for business purposes so it's even better when I'm getting paid for it and building up Fexi time.
  • Tamryn29Tamryn29 Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only ever done it twice, once about 20 years ago when we went on our first ever Holiday abroad (I was 12) and I loved it, and 3 months ago to Barcelona with my boyfriend. I was really nervous and pretty terrified on take off but relaxed relatively soon into and enjoyed it, but they were only brief flights, and very far apart from each other. I'd imagine it gets very tedious if you have to do it a lot for work or whatever.

Since mh370 though I'm glad I have no impending flights coming up, I know logically how safe it is but can't shake my feelings about that whole event and not sure if I could take the risk again anytime soon, it would be in the forefront of my
    Mind the whole time.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've got more chance of dying in a car crash than a plane crash. That being said, I'm not overly keen on flying either, mainly because I hang never get comfy on a plane and I've never been able to sleep on one ever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I fly home from University frequently. I love it :)
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I fly home from University frequently. I love it :)

Is the plane made out of paper? :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm exactly the same op and will never fly again.

I've travelled all over the world and it never bothered me but I had a really bad experience a few years ago where the whole cabin was terrified and screaming and its just put me off for life. The idea of flying gives me a panic attack now.

When I had to go to the west coast of Canada I sailed transatlantic and then spent 2 nights on a train :D
  • fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love it. But got more and more nervous as the years have gone on. Last time I flew was 4 years ago, and I don't want to go again.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never flown in my life, well not a jet anyway, went in a mate's light aircraft once, that was enough.

Prefer going by ferry, not that I have been out of the country for a few years.
  • Kayjay2405Kayjay2405 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a non flyer too, absolutely terrified the last time I flew and swore never again. I had flown several times in the past with no bad experiences however I got hit by a phobia whilst in Departures, and ended up being sick, falling over (legs really do freeze with fear) and crying hysterically. Last year we went by ferry to Europe and drove over 1500 miles and this year we're going to France via Eurostar. I don't think I'll ever fly again. I want a cast-iron-guarantee that the plane I'm on won't crash (as in my head it will) and of course nobody can give that. I'm ok not flying, it's everyone else that constantly tells me it's safe/far dangerous driving to the airport/I'm missing out/don't I want to explore the world etc etc that drives me crazy. I'm fully aware of all those things but it doesn't make any difference to someone with a phobia. I wouldn't/couldn't even get on a plane on the ground, even the sight of one on tv makes me retch. And luckily I'm a bit of a home-bod so I don't need to fly to get to anywhere I want to go, I'm quite happy in the UK and at a pinch, Europe.
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I just hate the claustrophobic feeling of being trapped on an a plane. Plus I always get trapped wind really bad and then I get uncomfortable. That's aside from the boredom. I do like the airport and the boarding. That's usually because I am excited about going away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When I had to go to the west coast of Canada I sailed transatlantic and then spent 2 nights on a train :D

Sounds like a good holiday to me!
  • squirts mumsquirts mum Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also not a flyer, it doesn't frighten me at all I just like making the journey part of the holiday, like to drive in Europe or as I'm doing this year taking a coach to Spain. Further afield will probably have to fly but seeing as I can't afford it it will probably stay at Europe. Think it stems from my holidays in the early 70's when Europe was our holiday destination and my Dad used to drive me and my mum all over camping, I loved it and still do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also not a flyer, it doesn't frighten me at all I just like making the journey part of the holiday, like to drive in Europe or as I'm doing this year taking a coach to Spain. Further afield will probably have to fly but seeing as I can't afford it it will probably stay at Europe. Think it stems from my holidays in the early 70's when Europe was our holiday destination and my Dad used to drive me and my mum all over camping, I loved it and still do.

We try and make the journey part of the holiday too. Last year we drove for about 12 hours home and our teenage son was fine in the back of the car, reading, listening to music and sightseeing. A few weeks ago he flew for the first time on an 8 hour flight (nightmare for me as a flying phobic ;) ) and he says it was fine but he was really really bored!
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm exactly the same op and will never fly again.

I've travelled all over the world and it never bothered me but I had a really bad experience a few years ago where the whole cabin was terrified and screaming and its just put me off for life. The idea of flying gives me a panic attack now.

Wow, the thought of sailing across the Atlantic scares me to death. Ferries anything at all to do with the sea, no thank you! I'd rather be on a plane for days than do that! I'd rather die in a plane crash than drown . Imagine being trapped in a sunken ship.:o Weird lot us humans!:D
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only bit I hate is taking-off. As soon as the seatbelts sign goes off I'm fine.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    I don't feel particularly comfortable knowing I'm surrounded by barely half an inch of fuselage 30k+ feet in the air. That's the thing isn't it. An aircraft breaks down when flying, chances are you'll die.

Almost 96 percent of people involved in aircraft accidents survive.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member

Another non-flyer here (not flown for over ten years). We have still travelled though - I love to drive and we have been to Vienna, Prague, Sicily. Southern Spain and on every route around France, Italy and Germany we can find. Seen amazing stuff and have as much fun planning the trips as doing them! Also we have cruised to the Med, Norway and across the Atlantic... you can get great deals if you shop around. There are still places I would like to go (although I did a lot of trips across the world when I still flew)... and plan to go 'round the world' by ship & train when we retire.

I miss getting to places fast, but not flying has opened up new opportunities too - like driving in Rome at rush-hour!
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    The only bit I hate is taking-off. As soon as the seatbelts sign goes off I'm fine.

The taking off and landing is the best bit!
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »

I love take off. It's the only really exciting part of flying for me. Reverse thrust on landing is good. A bit of turbulence is mildly exciting and everything else is a boring very uncomfortable misery.