Gas prices for 3bed house? Roughly?

Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,352
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So me and the misses are jumping onto the "ladder" soon, and the house we are looking at has gas central heating. At the moment we are in a flat with storage heating, so we've no idea about how much it would cost in gas to heat a 3 bed house during winter months? It must be better value than paying for storage heating anyway?

How much do you pay per month for gas guys?

Comments

• Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in a 3 bed terraced house with GCH and a condenser boiler that heats the water as needed, electric, not gas oven and I have both gas and electric through British Gas. I have quarterly bills and the lowest combined quarterly bill in the 3 years we've been here (me and the missus) has been about £150 and the highest has been about £400. Typically, I'd say that gas makes up about two-thirds of these amounts (unless it's been a warm quarter with little gas use).
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That £150 and £400, is that just the quarterly gas bill I take it? Your not including electric in that?

Even if that's just gas alone, £150 for a quarter is good, £400 is high I'd say, but I'm guessing that was a bitterly cold winter :D
  • Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    That £150 and £400, is that just the quarterly gas bill I take it? Your not including electric in that?

Even if that's just gas alone, £150 for a quarter is good, £400 is high I'd say, but I'm guessing that was a bitterly cold winter :D

No, as I said that is the combined bill so includes gas and electricity! Yeah, you can tell when it's been chilly lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On yeah sorry I missed that bit! That's quite good then really.

As a comparison, we are in a small flat with ONE, yes one big storage heater, in the summer (without this heater on) our electric is around £100-120, and in the winter with the heater on (economy 7) it's around £350, so it's very similar to yours yet your heating ALOT more space/rooms, just shows how expensive storage heating is.
  • MinkinitMinkinit Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Thereare many factors which can affect your energy bills. Age of house, insulation, occupancy etc.. we have a combined electricity and gas bill of £89.00 per month, direct debit, for a 3 bed semi with two children under 7.

Edit: house built in 1997, original boiler, increased loft insulation, electric oven, gas burners, smart meter
  • babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in a three bed end Victorian terrace, double glazed, crap insulation apparently and we pay £102 per month for gas and electric combined.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    So me and the misses are jumping onto the "ladder" soon, and the house we are looking at has gas central heating. At the moment we are in a flat with storage heating, so we've no idea about how much it would cost in gas to heat a 3 bed house during winter months? It must be better value than paying for storage heating anyway?

How much do you pay per month for gas guys?

You can check these

http://www.uswitch.com/gas-electricity/guides/gas-and-electricity-user-groups/

http://www.uswitch.com/gas-electricity/news/2014/01/08/energy-bills-are-still-53-higher-despite-cuts-to-green-levies/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone, gives us an idea of what to expect.
  • swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    It surely depends on how much you use.
    I had a housemate who,from October to April,had the heating on whenever he was home, including all night and occasionally leave it on when he wasn't at home.
    We had a key meter so could see usage daily., in these winter months we spent about £90 per month.
    When he went on holiday for 3 weeks I only used £15 on my own.
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually quite shocked about how much it costs some people. It costs us £10 per week for gas, and that is with central heating, cooking on gas and 4 of us having baths.

During the summer (so now, while it isn't cold) we are barely using £5 a week.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    3 bed semi built in 1910. Energy rating C. Combi Boiler. Total combined bill - £95 a month.