Options

Oscar Pistorius Trial (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    Fuchsia GroanFuchsia Groan Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listening to Masipa's reasoning again and it still seem contradictory. I'm starting to believe she got her verdict summation from one of those websites that generates a random postmodernist essay for you.

I can't help laughing and it'd be even funnier if it wasn't all so bloody tragic. :(
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She said he wasn't 'candid' when he said he had no intention to shoot someone but then goes on to say he had no intention to shoot someone.

I'm still not clear if she thinks he thought there was a burglar behind the door or not.

She gave a lot of weight to him shouting on the balcony for help. (It's still my own pet theory that it was Frank heard shouting for help. Oscar never set foot on that balcony).

She gives tremendous weight to his crying and 'being distraught', how either naive, stupid or cynical is that.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asyousay wrote: »
    Her parents are amazing people !!

They are indeed. Junes hand on her husband in that reassuring gentle way says it all for me.

I agree with June , they did not get the truth. It's incredibly sad. For them , for Reeva and for justice. Life stinks sometimes.
  • Options
    porky42porky42 Posts: 12,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Humbling documentary.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's very interesting that Masipa used to be a social worker. They tend to see the good in people. I have friends who work as teachers or as care workers in children's homes and they have a low opinion of social workers because they have a tendency to insist children stay in contact with their abusive parents, or because they tend to believe the cock and bull stories given to them by abusive parents and fail to investigate child abuse. A child will come into school with black-eyes, the school will report it to the social worker, the parent will say 'Oh, he fell out of a tree' and the social worker believes it automatically.

Sorry think that is stretching it and little to do with the case as she doled out sentences before.

I don't think your description is correct because children are encouraged to stay in touch with their parents not for the reasons you give but for a host of other reasons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    porky42 wrote: »
    Humbling documentary.

It was indeed. I wasn't going to watch it.
  • Options
    XXRunXXXXRunXX Posts: 2,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She gives tremendous weight to his crying and 'being distraught', how either naive, stupid or cynical is that.

And praying to God >:(
  • Options
    musingmusing Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She said he wasn't 'candid' when he said he had no intention to shoot someone but then goes on to say he had no intention to shoot someone.

I'm still not clear if she thinks he thought there was a burglar behind the door or not.

She gave a lot of weight to him shouting on the balcony for help. (It's still my own pet theory that it was Frank heard shouting for help. Oscar never set foot on that balcony).

Think she said he had intention to shoot (as in fire the gun) but not intention to kill.
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    They are indeed. Junes hand on her husband in that reassuring gentle way says it all for me.

I agree with June , they did not get the truth. It's incredibly sad. For them , for Reeva and for justice. Life stinks sometimes.

It is so sad , and the pain won't ever go away and now not even justice can help .
  • Options
    Bluebell WoodBluebell Wood Posts: 1,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Putting your fingers into someone's mouth is NOT resuscitation !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    porky42 wrote: »
    Humbling documentary.

Very. Amazing dignity and restraint.
  • Options
    konyakonya Posts: 5,004
    Forum Member
    I have recorded the documentary and shall watch it tomorrow.

I was in shock when Masipa talked about OP looking as if he was genuinely upset at Reeva's death, and that he was trying to save her life.

Surely anyone would do this anyway?
  • Options
    ClaireChClaireCh Posts: 5,899
    Forum Member
    Goodness me, hearing Masipa talking bollocks again, doesn't do anything for my blood pressure.

:D:D

mine neither, what are we gonna do.
  • Options
    Jeremy99Jeremy99 Posts: 5,476
    Forum Member
    XXRunXX wrote: »
    And praying to God >:(

Puzzling isn’t with all this religious input into the trial we get to finish up with an unholy verdict
  • Options
    Moody BlueMoody Blue Posts: 5,686
    Forum Member
    What a dignified couple..........
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Oscar: An Accident Waiting to Happen is the inside story of ex-girlfriend Samantha Taylor’s tumultuous romantic relationship with the athlete that turned into every mother’s nightmare. Told through the eyes of Sam’s mother, Patricia Taylor, it tells of the time that Pistorius became part of the Taylor family’s close circle.

By Melinda Ferguson and Patricia Taylor

By the time the Olympics began on July 27, it felt like Oscar was on the phone to me and my family 24/7. He wept constantly, saying how he didn’t want to be there.

In fact even before he got to London, while he was still training in Gemona, Italy, he was distraught about the upcoming Games.

(snip)

*This is an extract from Oscar, An Accident Waiting to Happen, by Melinda Ferguson and Patricia Taylor, published by MF Books at a recommended retail price of R195.

I won't quote all of it, I'll just say I don't believe a word of it. There's no reason whatsoever to think Pistorius was having some sort of breakdown at the prospect of going to the London 2012 Games.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »

Isn't it possible that they did get the truth. It just wasn't the truth that they wanted?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asyousay wrote: »
    It is so sad , and the pain won't ever go away and now not even justice can help .

Nothing is ever going to take their pain and loss away. And they are not seeking retribution or punishment . They just want the truth. Even that appears to be evading them .
    It would be utterly presumptuous for me to begin to imagine what they feel , I cannot begin to imagine it.

Perhaps they will never know what happened that fateful night. But they have something many in the world is missing , compassion and a real strength . And a capability to forgive when millions wouldn't or couldn't, I hope it sees them through.
  • Options
    ClaireChClaireCh Posts: 5,899
    Forum Member
    Isn't it possible that they did get the truth. It just wasn't the truth that they wanted?

No, they did not get the truth
  • Options
    XXRunXXXXRunXX Posts: 2,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeremy99 wrote: »
    Puzzling isn’t with all this religious input into the trial we get to finish up with an unholy verdict

:D
    That did make me laugh because it's so true! Like the Ghost writer the other night naughty but very funny:D
    Thanks I was all riled up again knew I shouldn't have watched it the poor Stenncamps they are much better Human Beings than I could ever be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No Kappel , I genuinely do not believe they have. The truth is with Oscar and the events of that night. They were not what he related, of that I am certain. His lies and evasiveness suggests there was indeed more went on than he has admitted to.

I know that you are inclined to to believe him utterly and I can understand that. But his behaviour , reactions , evasiveness and downright lies suggests that it was not as he suggested. Perhaps there is a truth so we here in the middle, who knows.
  • Options
    DeneDene Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    I guess it's possible; but IMO it's too far-fetched to reasonably possibly be true.

I mean, one can go with Oscar Pistorius's version if one wishes - and the court did - but if he was telling the truth, why the heck was he such an appalling witness on the stand? Masipa would no doubt say it's not relevant, but why wasn't he rock solid if he had nothing to hide?
  • Options
    lucy777lucy777 Posts: 2,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very possible but what a remarkable couple. Such dignity.
  • Options
    Moody BlueMoody Blue Posts: 5,686
    Forum Member

FGS Kap, you've swung from innocent to guilty to innocent then guilty (when the verdict came in) more times than I can remember, I think what ever the verdict, you would reappear with the 'I told you so's' :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    bollywood wrote: »
    Sorry think that is stretching it and little to do with the case as she doled out sentences before.

I don't think your description is correct because children are encouraged to stay in touch with their parents not for the reasons you give but for a host of other reasons.

Going off topic but my friends tell me about children wetting the bed at night because they are so scared about having to visit their parents but the social workers only care about the parents.

I also think Masipa was subject to the halo effect when dealing with Oscar. She looked at him with different eyes than she would have looked at a poor, black career criminal because we are conditioned to look for the good in people like Oscar.
This discussion has been closed.