Options

Reclining seats on planes

simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://bit.ly/isJPOq

I can see how this could happen! Personally I NEVER recline my seat as I know the nuisance it causes - sadly the person in front doesn't always feel the same :( Perhaps I'm just too nice.

Comments

• Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like the practice either, but if the seat is able to be reclined, why should the other passenger get so annoyed even if it was "intimately close". He just needs to recline his seat to give more space.
  • Options
    Johnny CashJohnny Cash Posts: 1,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should be banned or the space between the seats extended.

It is very annoying when the person in front reclines their seat.
  • Options
    darkmothdarkmoth Posts: 12,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They shouldn't have reclining seats in cattle class...there's little enough room there already.
  • Options
    stesupforitstesupforit Posts: 4,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reclining seats should be banned on economy flights. Space is limited as it is. Bloody annoying.
  • Options
    calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive never put my seat back as I know how annoying it can be to others.. one man actually put his seat back while we were eating.. Ive never seen such anti social behaviour as I have on a plane..
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    I rather just pay a little bit extra and upgrade, I can't cope with that cramped space.
  • Options
    Johnny CashJohnny Cash Posts: 1,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think with many it's a case of, 'I've paid for this seat so I'll recline it back & forth for the entire flight if I want to'.
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reclining seats should be banned on economy flights. Space is limited as it is. Bloody annoying.

The answer is to give people more space on economy flights. I never recline my seat while meals are being consumed, but otherwise I will to get any sort of comfort. I'd love to be able to fly business class, but my bank balance won't permit it.:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is ridiculous on some planes though. I often bring my dentist tools and ask the person in front if they'd like a little in-flight dentistry as they're so f*cking close to me. Having someone's head practically in your chest is unnerving when you don't know them!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand people reclining their seat on a long overnight flight in order to get some sleep.

But I often see people reclining their seat on short flights of no more than an hour and a half/two hour duration. That is just selfishness. As for people who do it during the mealtime.........
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I go on holiday, it's usually a long-haul flight, so I don't mind if a few hours in the person in front reclines their seat a bit. I do. But it annoys me when it's all the way back, and literally as soon as you're allowed to. I'm going to Vegas in July, so fingers crossed I get someone nice in front!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I was once nearly knocked out by someone reclining their seat on a flight to Turkey. It was partly my own fault for sitting forward, foolishly thinking it might help me fall asleep but then the guy in front put his seat back and it knocked me hard on the head. I swore at him and a flight attendant came over to explain to the guy what had happened but he wasn't arsed in the slightest. The flight attendant rolled her eyes at the guy obviously being a bit of a jerk and said there was very little she could do because of the space issues.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once tried the digging my knees into the back of the seat trick but the guy just turned around and asked be belligerently if something was wrong. Some people just have a massive sense of entitlement and don't care about anyone else.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    I am only a shortarse and find having a reclined seat over me far too restrictive. I dread to think what it's like for a taller person.
  • Options
    darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    On my last holiday we paid extra to go Premium economy. 2 hours in to the flight some f**k wit came and sat down in front of me. Reclined all 3 seats as far as they went then disappeared for the whole flight:mad:
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can get these! http://www.gadgetduck.com/goods/kneedefender.html?s

Unfortunately I think the airlines have banned them.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just knock the chair with my knee or elbow every five minutes and say "Sorry, bit cramped back here." They usually move back forward in less than an hour :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I regularly fly budget to and from the UK (3 hour flight) and always recline my seat. I fall asleep for the majority of the flight and need that extra recline 3 inches so I don´t end up with a cricked neck. If anyone wants to wake me to put the seat up when they are eating, I may comply for 20 minutes.

I always sit behind people who recline and so does most of the plane. Where do you lot come from as you´re never on any of my flights? I`ve never had tutting, seat back kicking or even been asked to put it back. :confused:

I pay for my seat and all the functions that come with it.
  • Options
    MrIncredibleMrIncredible Posts: 5,034
    Forum Member
    I regularly fly budget to and from the UK (3 hour flight) and always recline my seat. I fall asleep for the majority of the flight and need that extra recline 3 inches so I don´t end up with a cricked neck. If anyone wants to wake me to put the seat up when they are eating, I may comply for 20 minutes.

I always sit behind people who recline and so does most of the plane. Where do you lot come from as you´re never on any of my flights? I`ve never had tutting, seat back kicking or even been asked to put it back. :confused:

Good of you :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have never been on a plane where everyone reclined and know lots of people who have been irritated by passengers doing this so not really sure what flights you're on.

Seriously, you can't do a three hour flight without sleeping?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately some people are just inconsiderate - reclining has a knock effect through the plane - no one thinks of the poor person in the last row who can't generally recline. i remember one flight to Brussels - a very short flight, had just got coffee and the guy infront of me reclines - I almost wore it!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    Seriously, you can't do a three hour flight without sleeping?

Exactly, if you are posting on DS then you are hardly a preschooler who needs a nap. Yes, flights are often boring, but that's what mp3 players and books are for.
  • Options
    ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't flown long haul economy for a long time but when I did, the best was Singapore Airlines - those girls would come round and forcibly raise the seat for the meal service!
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once tried the digging my knees into the back of the seat trick but the guy just turned around and asked be belligerently if something was wrong. Some people just have a massive sense of entitlement and don't care about anyone else.

This happens on coaches too. If anyone does it to me it results in the rest of their journey being uncomfortable too as I will kick the back of their seat for the rest of the journey. And if they turn around and ask what I'm doing I will explain very slowly to them what they are doing, what I am doing and whether they would like to continue for the rest of the trip in a similar way or if they would move their flippin seat forward!!!:D
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you were sitting behind me I'd barely notice as I'm small, but spare a thought for the long-legged amongst us who struggle to cope as it is, flying with their knees to their chests.