Options

ebay - refunds`

Hypnos MetisHypnos Metis Posts: 98
Forum Member
Hi - I expect that there are several of these threads on here already - but to be honest I'm on lunch at the moment and don't havea lot of time to hunt through!

Basically I want to double check with experienced ebayers that I'm doing this right:

An item that i bought never showed up - I gave the seller a couple of days grace as I thought that it could be courier/post issues. I contacted them and they got back to me saying they'd look into it. I chased them again a week later and they said that they were sorry they hadb't been in touch but they expected to hear from the courier after the weekend. That was the last i heard from them. THis was two weeks ago now, and I've sent a couple of friendly 'hi any update?' type mesdages. The payment went through about a month ago now - so I assumer I'm going to have to get ebay involved?They have a good reputation, so I don't want to be unneccessarily unpleasant - but they haven't made it easy! So basically I wondered:
Do i open a case - and how does it work?
Can they give me negative feedback as a buyer if i do?
thanks!

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Open a case, if they respond positively by sending back your money or redelivering your item you can close it. But don't close it until you either have cash in your hand or the item.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    Open a case, if they respond positively by sending back your money or redelivering your item you can close it. But don't close it until you either have cash in your hand or the item.

Thanks,
    Once i open a case am i safe from the 45 days to do anything rule?
  • Options
    MillysMommaMillysMomma Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A seller cannot give a buyer negative feedback, only a buyer can give positive, neutral or negative feedback.
  • Options
    ratty123ratty123 Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    Thanks,
    Once i open a case am i safe from the 45 days to do anything rule?

You have 45 days from the sale date to open a case, so if you are within that you are fine. My advice would be to open a dispute case with PayPal as it is much quicker than eBay and you will automatically win unless the seller can provide tracking that proves delivery (which obviously they can't!). To do this go to the transaction in your PayPal account and open a dispute from there.

If you have already opened a case with eBay, don't worry as you will also automatically win, it's just eBay are slightly more generous to the seller in terms of time to respond/upload tracking etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A seller cannot give a buyer negative feedback, only a buyer can give positive, neutral or negative feedback.
    Thanks - I was wondering if they could - as I've never had to do this before! I was thinking about the bit on myaccount that they feedback about prompt payment etc!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ratty123 wrote: »

If you have already opened a case with eBay, don't worry as you will also automatically win, it's just eBay are slightly more generous to the seller in terms of time to respond/upload tracking etc.

I clicked the button on ebay to do it before I saw your message - I'm in no desperate rush for the cash back - it's not breaking the bank fortunately! However they have 2 weeks before they'll do anything now - which does seeem a long while...
  • Options
    lincolnmedialincolnmedia Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    As a seller I never leave feedback for any buyer, it's totally pointless and can put the seller in a very precarious position, even leaving themselves open to blackmail. Buyers can be just as bad as bad sellers. However eBay HQ believes that all buyers are good and all sellers are bad.
  • Options
    MillysMommaMillysMomma Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buyers really do have the upper hand with regard to the feedback system. I have sold a couple of things and have been threatened with bad feedback if I didn't do as I was told by a buyer, i.e refund.
  • Options
    ratty123ratty123 Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    Buyers really do have the upper hand with regard to the feedback system. I have sold a couple of things and have been threatened with bad feedback if I didn't do as I was told by a buyer, i.e refund.

If this happens, you can stick to your guns! If a buyer threatens bad feedback in an eBay message it's known as feedback extortion and frowned upon by ebay. You can can then easily get any bad feedback left removed by giving eBay a call or email.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/feedback-extortion.html