Options

Ski holiday... without skiing

jde-tvjde-tv Posts: 4,930
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello

Just wondered if anyone had any recommendations for a winter get away for a few days... either a nice hotel, or lodge in a town with shops and cafes and snow! I'm not into skiing so this isn't an issue. I'm looking at going mid-January. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    jde-tv wrote: »
    Hello

Just wondered if anyone had any recommendations for a winter get away for a few days... either a nice hotel, or lodge in a town with shops and cafes and snow! I'm not into skiing so this isn't an issue. I'm looking at going mid-January. Thanks!
    We've had 2 holidays in Grindlewaid in Switzerland. We were meant to go skiing, but Smudges Mum hurt her knee a few days before so we enjoyed the tobogganing and walking instead. Sweitszerhof (sp?) hotel is excellent for food and close to the station.
  • Options
    squirts mumsquirts mum Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a winter holiday in La Plagne which is a skiing area but I'm not a massive skier. Lots of lovely walking and you can use the ski lifts as well to get up to the glacier. Plenty to do for skiers and non skiers. Not as picturesque as other areas but still had a fab time and the prices for food etc were reasonable.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no interest in skiing but a few years ago I went on a ski holiday with some friends as they had a spare place. I just had a good time in the bar and hotel while they threw themselves off mountains. It was apres-ski without the ski.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I am a skier, but for non-skiers, Courmayeur in Italy would be a good choice - right by Mont Blanc, you can get a cable car up there, stunning views. It's has a nice town centre, no cars, lots of shops, bars and restaurants etc.

Switzerland is another good choice, as well, for a very traditional alpine feel. Many very pretty resorts to choose from there.