wondering how long till CRT TV sets are not people's main set.

DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
Forum Member
✭✭
I wonder how long it will take for CRT TVs to just die and people are forced to have cheap LCD TVs instead.

Its a shame the government don't mandate that all new TVs have to have freeview HD built in, as it would also mean that dvb-t2 would then became de-facto main DTT standard.

Comments

• msimmsim Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What evidence do you have to suggest that CRTs have not already been replaced as the main set? Are there statistics on the numbers of each type considered as the 'main' one in the household?
  • sparrysparry Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had a 28" CRT TV as our main TV when I moved in with my girlfriend, I got it for £6 on eBay!

Sadly, my grandad passed away last year and I then inherited his 32" Sony Bravia HD LCD TV set but my girlfriend refuses to get rid of the old 28" CRT and it's currently in the bedroom, despite me threatening to chuck it and get a flatscreen for the bedroom!
  • tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    I love CRT's, If my old Dell 19" monitor was not 4:3 I would still be using it today! (instead of my 27" Benq)
    I really miss the 85hz refresh rate, my eyes are not what they used to be and 50/60hz is just too low and causes me eye strain after prolonged periods.

If only I could only convince the OH that a 144hz 28" IPS panel for the computer is an essential upgrade...:)
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,515
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I wonder how long it will take for CRT TVs to just die and people are forced to have cheap LCD TVs instead.

Already long past I would have thought?.

Its a shame the government don't mandate that all new TVs have to have freeview HD built in, as it would also mean that dvb-t2 would then became de-facto main DTT standard.

Jesus, give it a rest - you keep repeating the same silly idea over and over again across multiple forums.

T2 capability will become the standard by natural evolution, but it still won't make T2 the 'standard' as many millions of T1 sets, recorders, and boxes will still be in use for many years to come.
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    consider this, the BBC introduced 625 line TV in 1964, but only stopped broadcasting 405 line signals for those with older TV's in January 1985, some 21 years after the adoption of a new standard.

The push toward digital over analogue was quicker starting in 2007 and finishing in 2012.

Yes, the pace of technology today is greater than it was in the past, but at the same time not everyone wants, or can afford to be on the bleeding edge of technological change, and it would be unfair to keep pushing everyone to buy all new kit just because a better standard is now available.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    I reacon that CRT sets will die out by about 2020...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    mrprosser wrote: »
    consider this, the BBC introduced 625 line TV in 1964, but only stopped broadcasting 405 line signals for those with older TV's in January 1985, some 21 years after the adoption of a new standard.

The push toward digital over analogue was quicker starting in 2007 and finishing in 2012.

Yes, the pace of technology today is greater than it was in the past, but at the same time not everyone wants, or can afford to be on the bleeding edge of technological change, and it would be unfair to keep pushing everyone to buy all new kit just because a better standard is now available.

But the switchover gap of 5 years was only when analogue was switched off. Digital TV came in almost a decade earlier. So the gap of support would actually be 9-14 years depending on area.
  • IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope OLED sets become much more affordable before there is any switch-off of DVB-T1. Sticking with my plasma until then if it holds out.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember seeing a statistic that something like 90% of UK households now have a flatscreen tv.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still have CRTs and several being kept ready for when the ones in use expire - although of-course CRTs seem to go on virtually forever! My main set is 13 years old this week, and I've had the portable in the kitchen for 14 years.

I'll keep CRTs as long as I possibly can as I prefer them. I'd be a lot more impressed with modern sets if the sound quality was better. It hardly seems a step forward to move to a position where you're supposed to puchase a separate device just to provide half decent sound.

I don't really see the issue though, as the set I have upstairs - a widescreen CRT purchased fairly recently from a charity shop for £15 (and I got another identical one about six months later for the same price which is now my 'reserve' for this set) is being fed by a DVB T2 box. If that becomes the standard, what's the problem with old CRTs?
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have not had a CRT TV in the living room in over 15 years.
    Think 1997 or 1998 was our first LCD TV in the living room and it was a 26 inch Sharp TV that if I remember only last about 4 years then packed in.

Darren
  • TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got rid of my 32"Sony Trinitron back in 2006 and have had 4 LCD tv's since. HD looks fine but i hate the blurry motion you get when watching sport. CRT's have the edge in that department.
  • Omniconsumer93Omniconsumer93 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiwttmos wrote: »
    I got rid of my 32"Sony Trinitron back in 2006 and have had 4 LCD tv's since. HD looks fine but i hate the blurry motion you get when watching sport. CRT's have the edge in that department.

Check your settings. If you have a Sony, you might have "motionflow" turned on, which interpolates the footage and often makes it look blurry. Quite a few TVs have a different name for it but that's possibly the problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    I still have CRTs and several being kept ready for when the ones in use expire - although of-course CRTs seem to go on virtually forever! My main set is 13 years old this week, and I've had the portable in the kitchen for 14 years.

I'll keep CRTs as long as I possibly can as I prefer them. I'd be a lot more impressed with modern sets if the sound quality was better. It hardly seems a step forward to move to a position where you're supposed to puchase a separate device just to provide half decent sound.

I don't really see the issue though, as the set I have upstairs - a widescreen CRT purchased fairly recently from a charity shop for £15 (and I got another identical one about six months later for the same price which is now my 'reserve' for this set) is being fed by a DVB T2 box. If that becomes the standard, what's the problem with old CRTs?

There's nothing wrong with the sound on flat screens as long as you don't buy really really cheap ones. Also, you should really be using surround sound for your main tv anyway.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,515
    Forum Member
    There's nothing wrong with the sound on flat screens as long as you don't buy really really cheap ones. Also, you should really be using surround sound for your main tv anyway.

Even the good makes have pretty crappy sound, there's just no room for decent speakers - it's certainly something you need to listen to before you buy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even the good makes have pretty crappy sound, there's just no room for decent speakers - it's certainly something you need to listen to before you buy.

The sound on my Panasonic Viera plasma rivals anything that came from a CRT.
  • fedmanfedman Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very true, when I went for a 'not cheap' LED flat screen TV I was appalled at the audio quality. It sounded like a small transistor radio, not surprising when I discovered how small the speakers were.

The answer feed it via my audio system, the result good pictures and sound.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fedman wrote: »
    Very true, when I went for a 'not cheap' LED flat screen TV I was appalled at the audio quality. It sounded like a small transistor radio, not surprising when I discovered how small the speakers were.

The answer feed it via my audio system, the result good pictures and sound.

With modern LCD/Plasma TVs you really do need a decent sound system to get good sound, but as they dont sell new CRTs (leastways not in the UK) my original question is valid as most if not all CRTs will die before too long, even my grandparents who dont want to change have noticed issues with their current CRT TV that will eventually force them to buy something else!

A set of 2.1 or even 2.0 speakers connected to the TVs headphone socket will do the trick for most people.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

All of the TVs in our house are LCDs already.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    My main TV is an LCD but I've got a 14" portable with built in VCR lying around somewhere. It was only used a few times. I don't know if I'll use it for anything or get rid of it. I've also got a Black Diamond TV from 2000 that really needs to go to the tech scrapheap. I haven't yet dumped it. As for computer monitors, I've got two CRT monitors from early XP era machines lying around but I also have an LCD in my room as a second monitor for my Macbook Pro. I use it when gaming :cool: I prefer LCD TVs but my main complaint is the sound! It's really bad. I'm gonna get a soundbar at some point.

I know someone who only replaced their ancient 1980s CRT in March! I don't know how they kept watching the old telly for so long. It was so small it looked as though you needed binoculars to watch it :D
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know of 4 households that still have a CRT as their main TV set, not doubt when the TV sets go belly up they will get a more modern set.

I got a 28 inch CRT in the bedroom, when my plasma goes in the living room the CRt will take it's place until I decide to to replace it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With modern LCD/Plasma TVs you really do need a decent sound system to get good sound, but as they dont sell new CRTs (leastways not in the UK) my original question is valid as most if not all CRTs will die before too long, even my grandparents who dont want to change have noticed issues with their current CRT TV that will eventually force them to buy something else!

A set of 2.1 or even 2.0 speakers connected to the TVs headphone socket will do the trick for most people.

A sound bar works wonders as well, it's what I have in my bedroom just because of lack of space.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was the sound on most CRT sets any better than most modern flat screens or is the concept more an urban myth, a band wagon people jump on?
  • Steven88Steven88 Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sound on my old CRT was miles better than any of the more modern flatscreen TVs.