El Clasico - Saturday 25th October

Stereophonic83Stereophonic83 Posts: 501
Forum Member
✭✭
Kick off time confirmed for 5pm so once again the UK will miss out on the first 15 mins.

Its about time the blackout was reviewed for instances like this when a game with a worldwide audience of hundreds of millions cant be shown in full in this country.

And tv companies and the likes of PL etc wonder why people revert to internet streams to access games...

Comments

• Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't they change the blackout period to 3pm to 5pm to avoid problems such as this?

Would reducing the blackout period by 15 minutes at each end really have an impact on the attendances of lower league games?
  • fodg09fodg09 Posts: 3,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely something that will have to be addressed when the rights come up for renewal at the end of the season. Sky can't be happy with this happening of late and BT hardly would be either if they have to offer a substantial premium on the current cost of the UK rights to take them away from Sky.
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    The UK must be one of the biggest markets for La Liga coverage so you would think they would have some clout to get the two clubs to make the kick-off 15 minutes later in order to keep international broadcast partners happy.

But then again, maybe not.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    You'd have though a little common sense could be applied / an exception allowed (clearly games such as this were never meant to be captured) but then again?
  • adrian foxadrian fox Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    ESPN used to show Serie A games that kicked off at 5pm on Saturday in full. Did they ever get into trouble with the Fa or Uefa for doing this?
  • mromegamromega Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    If possible, game just got bigger.

It's likely to be Luiz Suarez's debut for Barca.

From the UEFA website, the dates where the restrictions apply. All times are CET.

9–30 August
    15.45–18.15

13 September–4 October
    15.45–18.15

18 October–8 November
    15.45–18.15

22 November–20 December
    15.45–18.15

3 January–21 March
    15.45–18.15

4 April–16 May
    15.45–18.15
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose the FA's argument would be that English football should always take priority. They wouldn't want do anything that makes it more likely that people will choose to watch a foreign league game rather than attend the local match. That 15 minutes might seem irrelevant but it's the difference to most between being able to get in front of a tv after a game and not.

That's not my view by the way; I think fans should be allowed to make their own choices.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest if supporters left games early to go watch El clasico they will have already paid the entrance fee
  • mattwmattw Posts: 1,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fodg09 wrote: »
    Surely something that will have to be addressed when the rights come up for renewal at the end of the season. Sky can't be happy with this happening of late and BT hardly would be either if they have to offer a substantial premium on the current cost of the UK rights to take them away from Sky.

Whilst sky wouldn't be happy, I'm sure irrelevant of this little annoyance to sky, they're going to have to increase their bid for BBVA rights given the BT potential. Equally whilst the UK is probably a big market for Spanish rights, I'd venture it pales into insignificance against the Spanish domestic rights (albeit they're obviously negotiated club by club), so I doubt sky (or any other UK broadcaster's influence would be significant enough).
  • PatrickBateman1PatrickBateman1 Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The UK must be one of the biggest markets for La Liga coverage so you would think they would have some clout to get the two clubs to make the kick-off 15 minutes later in order to keep international broadcast partners happy.

But then again, maybe not.

Asia is where the money is for La Liga. The UK doesn't make a blip on the radar. Why do you think these games are on so early? For the Asian market.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do you think these games are on so early? For the Asian market.

5pm UK isn't a great time for the Asian market though. It's 11pm in Jakarta, 12am in Beijing and 1am in Tokyo. If they were setting it up for Asia they'd play it at 12.45pm like the early PL game.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    This blackout nonsense yet again.
    Its getting so very tedious and yet the argument still goes on about people going to see their local team..
    Im sorry, but thats BS in the fullest form.
    I support ONE club, so i have no intention of going to watch a 'local' side play because its of zero interest to me and im willing to be thats the case for ALOT of supporters.
    Clubs need to stop using age-old excuses that might have applied 50 years ago but do not now.

And yes, ESPN used to show Serie A that kicked off at 5pm UK time in full.
    And you can be damn sure the argument would be, if Sky were to grow a pair of nuts and start from 5pm, that its the remaining 15 minutes and its going to have ZERO effect on the excuses peddled by the 'traditionalists' and the 'its might hurt local clubs attendance' whino's!!!
    (It does my skull in, can't you tell....)
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course I don't think anyone actually cared about Seria A on ESPN.
  • PatrickBateman1PatrickBateman1 Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    5pm UK isn't a great time for the Asian market though. It's 11pm in Jakarta, 12am in Beijing and 1am in Tokyo. If they were setting it up for Asia they'd play it at 12.45pm like the early PL game.

It's a whole lot better than 7pm or 9pm UK time.
  • PaulLFCPaulLFC Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Its getting so very tedious and yet the argument still goes on about people going to see their local team..
    I support ONE club, so i have no intention of going to watch a 'local' side play because its of zero interest to me and im willing to be thats the case for ALOT of supporters.
    Clubs need to stop using age-old excuses that might have applied 50 years ago but do not now.

And you can be damn sure the argument would be, if Sky were to grow a pair of nuts and start from 5pm, that its the remaining 15 minutes and its going to have ZERO effect on the excuses peddled by the 'traditionalists' and the 'its might hurt local clubs attendance' whino's!!!
    100% agree. I support my team, I will not go and watch another local team "because there's no football on the telly", I will go to my team's matches (when I have tickets) and they are the only matches I go to. Where has this expectation that people should go to other local matches come from? If people want to, fine - but don't prevent others watching football to try and "force" them to attend local games, because as you said, for many, it doesn't happen. It's just an annoyance.

They are about to have a vote in the US to end the NFL blackout rule over there, granted their blackout is run to different rules but the principle is the same, in this day and age people should not be prevented from watching what they want to watch.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

PaulLFC wrote: »
    100% agree. I support my team, I will not go and watch another local team "because there's no football on the telly", I will go to my team's matches (when I have tickets) and they are the only matches I go to. Where has this expectation that people should go to other local matches come from? If people want to, fine - but don't prevent others watching football to try and "force" them to attend local games, because as you said, for many, it doesn't happen. It's just an annoyance.

They are about to have a vote in the US to end the NFL blackout rule over there, granted their blackout is run to different rules but the principle is the same, in this day and age people should not be prevented from watching what they want to watch.

If you only support one team and are only interested in watching them, why are you getting upset about missing 15 mins of two foreign teams in another country?

Personally I think there's already been too many changes to favour a handful of English clubs to the detriment of the lower leagues and their income, without pandering to foreign leagues as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    If you only support one team and are only interested in watching them, why are you getting upset about missing 15 mins of two foreign teams in another country?

Personally I think there's already been too many changes to favour a handful of English clubs to the detriment of the lower leagues and their income, without pandering to foreign leagues as well.
    So we have to support teams to watch them on telly now? Didn't realise that, my mistake.

How exactly is showing 15 minutes of El Clasico "to the detriment" of the lower leagues? Plenty of times on Carling Cup nights a Premier League team v Premier League team game is shown on TV, while lower league sides play each other in other ties in the competition. Guess what? The attendances there are fine, while there is a game on TV. And that is at 7:30-8pm at night too, when if there was an effect of TV coverage on league attendances, it would be more likely to show, because of the later time making people less inclined to go out and travel to the match. What do we see though? No effect.

As far as I can recall no adverse effect has ever been proved. No proof has been shown by these proponents of the outdated blackout rules to back up their accusations that ending the blackout rule would affect attendances. Where is said proof? Does it exist? In fact what has happened is that we have evidence to the contrary as pointed out above.

The blackout rules have existed for years on the presumption of something happening with zero tests to prove the validity thereof. It's ridiculous that it's existed this long on the strength of zero evidence, and even more so that nothing looks like changing any time soon.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    ShaunIOW wrote: »

While i support one club and won't go to watch another team, i will gladly watch a game like this on telly.
    And that same old tired excuse of lower leagues income is pure hogwash... Im sorry, i respect your opinion, but its nonsense.
    Because of the winos and 'traditionalists', a televised game cannot be shown here until 15 minutes into it...
    Are you seriously telling me thats acceptable in 2014?
    Its idiocy like this which creates the notion of going towards piracy, to see the game in full. So how does that suit income for the likes of copyright holders and help the game in general?
    So we have to support teams to watch them on telly now? Didn't realise that, my mistake.

How exactly is showing 15 minutes of El Clasico "to the detriment" of the lower leagues? Plenty of times on Carling Cup nights a Premier League team v Premier League team game is shown on TV, while lower league sides play each other in other ties in the competition. Guess what? The attendances there are fine, while there is a game on TV. And that is at 7:30-8pm at night too, when if there was an effect of TV coverage on league attendances, it would be more likely to show, because of the later time making people less inclined to go out and travel to the match. What do we see though? No effect.

As far as I can recall no adverse effect has ever been proved. No proof has been shown by these proponents of the outdated blackout rules to back up their accusations that ending the blackout rule would affect attendances. Where is said proof? Does it exist? In fact what has happened is that we have evidence to the contrary as pointed out above.

The blackout rules have existed for years on the presumption of something happening with zero tests to prove the validity thereof. It's ridiculous that it's existed this long on the strength of zero evidence, and even more so that nothing looks like changing any time soon.

This, all day long, this! (Well said Paul)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    stv viewer wrote: »
    To be honest if supporters left games early to go watch El clasico they will have already paid the entrance fee

No I think there worried they wouldn't attend at all.
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »

At an uneducated guess I'd say it was La Liga's way of trying to reconcile there home viewing audience with that of the Asain market but not really appealing to either camp.
    Forum Member
    While i support one club and won't go to watch another team, i will gladly watch a game like this on telly.
    And that same old tired excuse of lower leagues income is pure hogwash... Im sorry, i respect your opinion, but its nonsense.
    Because of the winos and 'traditionalists', a televised game cannot be shown here until 15 minutes into it...
    Are you seriously telling me thats acceptable in 2014?
    Its idiocy like this which creates the notion of going towards piracy, to see the game in full. So how does that suit income for the likes of copyright holders and help the

Completely agree, it's time we gained a modern attitude to viewing sports on TV.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    I don't the the FA, UEFA or OFCOM would give a monkeys if Sky started the coverage at 5pm. They could use it as a precedent...
  • LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Armchair fans off moaning again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOSG wrote: »
    Armchair fans off moaning again.
    I went to all my team's home games live last season, actually. I still don't like this practice, and whether I do or don't go to matches live in no way limits my right to have an opinion on this. In fact what gives you the right to dismiss opinions based on your no-evidence assumption of whether people attend live games or not?
  • LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to all my team's home games live last season, actually. I still don't like this practice, and whether I do or don't go to matches live in no way limits my right to have an opinion on this. In fact what gives you the right to dismiss opinions based on your no-evidence assumption of whether people attend live games or not?

If im going to a 3pm that day (which I'm not as my teams playing away) i'd be happy that I got an extra 15 minutes to get to the pub and watch it. Clearly you live right next to the ground?

The blackout is there for good reason. If it didn't exist, there would be a 3pm live premier league game without question. That would A - clearly affect attendances AT ALL LEVELS of football and B - mean anyone that does attend a 3pm game wouldn't be able to watch it.

The current system is the fairest and lets be honest (!) there's hardly a shortage of football on TV from around 19.30 on a Friday to 22.00 on a Sunday. 2 and a half hours without a game (on the tele) is hardly killing anyone.