Scotland Decides - BBC Referendum Result Programme

blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I noticed that the BBC are putting on a full 'through the night' referendum results programme on Thursday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04hkhw5

I've checked out the official information on the results though and they say that they will all be announced at the same time, probably around 7-8am.

So is this going to be an extended exercise of talking heads and 'what if' conversations or will there actually be any substantive reports? I would usually take the Friday off and stay up to watch election results but I didn't see the point this time.

Comments

• davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that I had heard on the radio that the result should be know somewhere between 2.30 and 3.30 am on Friday.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that I had heard on the radio that the result should be know somewhere between 2.30 and 3.30 am on Friday.

The result will probably be 'known' at that time but I understand that ballot boxes have to be obtained from all of the remote Scottish islands which means they won't be finally counted until closer to 7.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/scottish-independence/scottish-independence-what-time-will-we-learn-the-result-of-the-referendum-9732647.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The result will probably be 'known' at that time but I understand that ballot boxes have to be obtained from all of the remote Scottish islands which means they won't be finally counted until closer to 7.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/scottish-independence/scottish-independence-what-time-will-we-learn-the-result-of-the-referendum-9732647.html

Ah right, in that case then I'll catch the result in the morning. I too like staying up on Election night but might just get up a bit earlier than normal, maybe about 5am, to catch the flow of it.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You more likely to stay up if you in Scotland.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You more likely to stay up if you in Scotland.

Even if you're super excited wouldn't it just make sense to get up at 5am rather than stay up throughout the night when absolutely nothing is happening? I don't want to stereotype the Scottish here but i'm sure there would be a drink or two on Thursday night and i'm not sure everyone would make it through till 7am ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They be more likely to drink on Friday then Thursday night.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed that the BBC are putting on a full 'through the night' referendum results programme on Thursday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04hkhw5

I've checked out the official information on the results though and they say that they will all be announced at the same time, probably around 7-8am.

So is this going to be an extended exercise of talking heads and 'what if' conversations or will there actually be any substantive reports? I would usually take the Friday off and stay up to watch election results but I didn't see the point this time.
    I would imagine that teh constituencies will announce their results on an individual basis, and the Yes/No totals will clock up in a similar way to how they did for the PR voting referendum. And like a General Election, we will get a picture of how things are going as the night progresses, with indications of the final (precise) result becoming more and more certain.

So no, it won't be a talking shop all night.
  • KNs47KNs47 Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    I would imagine that teh constituencies will announce their results on an individual basis, and the Yes/No totals will clock up in a similar way to how they did for the PR voting referendum. And like a General Election, we will get a picture of how things are going as the night progresses, with indications of the final (precise) result becoming more and more certain.

Would there be constituencies, because with no local representative being elected, there will be no defintion of boundaries, and I would suspect the referendum vote won't just be able to randomly pick up, say, Westmister boundaries and declare on them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »

Actually you're correct - I reread the official result timing document and I missed that the 32 local counting areas are going to announce their totals once they have been confirmed. So actually there will be a stream of totals coming in over the night.

Damn, it's a bit late to ask for Friday off now :)

I guess that's thread over - apologies for wasting anyone's time :blush:
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will there be an exit poll?
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »

Well you would presume so but how long can you digest that for on live television?
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    Apparently not.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KNs47 wrote: »
    Would there be constituencies, because with no local representative being elected, there will be no defintion of boundaries, and I would suspect the referendum vote won't just be able to randomly pick up, say, Westmister boundaries and declare on them.
    It has to be based on some boundary, whether local, regional or parliamentary (just as the UK-wide PR referendum was). There will no doubt be local/regional counts, with those results "declared". Why would it be any different from a proven setup?
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want to stereotype the Scottish here but i'm sure there would be a drink or two on Thursday night and i'm not sure everyone would make it through till 7am ;-)

For not wanting to stereotype that was a classic piece of stereotyping.

Believe it or not some of us have jobs to go to on Friday so won't be having "a drink or 2".

Mind you if Salmond's lot win the job may be a thing of the past.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »

Believe it or not some of us have jobs to go to on Friday so won't be having "a drink or 2".

You suppose to get a living wage says Alex :D
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually you're correct - I reread the official result timing document and I missed that the 32 local counting areas are going to announce their totals once they have been confirmed. So actually there will be a stream of totals coming in over the night.

Damn, it's a bit late to ask for Friday off now :)

I guess that's thread over - apologies for wasting anyone's time :blush:

I imagine that in each one of the 32 areas they will just say x amount yes and y amount no with all yes' and all no's being added up at the end not based on the 32 areas.
    Otherwise you would have the first past the post Westminster style situation of one area having say a very high vote one way and another having a marginal vote the other way and the marginals win! PR is the only way here!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well you would presume so but how long can you digest that for on live television?

until the results start to come in!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why could you company be one of the ones to move to England?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Why could you company be one of the ones to move to England?

It's a distinct possibility.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a distinct possibility.

I see, I suppose they could just move part of it though? It depends what it is!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I see, I suppose they could just move part of it though? It depends what it is!

There would need to still be a large presence here but my department could easily be set up down South if costs were to escalate.

My mind was made up the day the referendum was announced though.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There will be one programme for Scotland and a separate one for the rest of the UK,another absurd waste of BBC money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    There will be one programme for Scotland and a separate one for the rest of the UK,another absurd waste of BBC money.

The Scotland only one is also on BBC Parliament whilst the one for the rest of the UK is also on BBC News.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There would need to still be a large presence here but my department could easily be set up down South if costs were to escalate.

My mind was made up the day the referendum was announced though.

Im sure you had made up your mind, I would say most people have long ago but dont realise what they really want yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Scotland only one is also on BBC Parliament whilst the one for the rest of the UK is also on BBC News.

I see so everyone can see both of them if they want even if they only have freeview lite!
    Those with satellite can see both BBC 1 versions by ether watching BBC 1 London/England HD or BBC 1 Scotland/HD!