Options

Which 4K TV should I get from the following:

Comments

• Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Mythica wrote: »
    For Blu-rays I'm not sure but they certainly won't be any 4k games on the consoles. No big games anyway like FIFA, COD or Battlefield.

Neither consoles can handle 4k from either gaming or streaming video, they can only handle 4k photos.

There's talk of a refresh model adding HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 and HEVC decoding, this is for both consoles and should be launching in the autumn, this will add 4k playback, but only video, not gaming.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Have you actually seen any good sourced HD or bluray on a high end 4K tv, or is this just an assumption?

UHD scalers used are more advanced than those used on full HD, they use top chips that dynamically address image databases to interpolate data, rather than relying on linear scaling.

But it's not all down to upscaling, better dynamic contrast, extended colours, the higher resolution/smoother images all help too.

All 4k tv's manufactured after Sept 2013 will almost certainly have HDMI 2 4k@60hz, only first gen sets had HDMI 1.4 4k@30hz.

Daft in your opinion, I've been enjoying 4k content in its current state for months, when phase2 is ready in a few years I'll be ready for an upgrade.

Meanwhile, you will miss out on HDR. Glad to hear they can all handle 60p, that was a concern BUT buyers of cheap 4K sets will have to watch out for that.

Sounds like you had good reasons for buying 4K when you did, but now we know more about the likely timelines and agreed specs, including Blu-Ray, I do think it's daft for anyone to take the plunge only to find they are missing out on the non-viewing distance dependant benefits of HDR.

Hopefully BT TV will be arsed at some point to tell us what the specs are of their UHD broadcasts, and they'd better include HDR and HFR!
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    Mythica wrote: »
    You said it "merely" makes it fit the higher resolution screen, which would be stretching the image. Merely being the key word which was a bad word to choose.

'Merely' because it doesn't make it higher resolution - which is the myth about up-scaling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Meanwhile, you will miss out on HDR. Glad to hear they can all handle 60p, that was a concern BUT buyers of cheap 4K sets will have to watch out for that.

Sounds like you had good reasons for buying 4K when you did, but now we know more about the likely timelines and agreed specs, including Blu-Ray, I do think it's daft for anyone to take the plunge only to find they are missing out on the non-viewing distance dependant benefits of HDR.

Hopefully BT TV will be arsed at some point to tell us what the specs are of their UHD broadcasts, and they'd better include HDR and HFR!
    Yes, there are some cheap imports that will only do 4k@30hz and have no HEVC decoding, there was one linked to on here the other week, it was no good for Netflix/Amazon 4k service or broadcasts when they arrive, not bad for a pc monitor though.

Yes I'll miss out on HDR and other improvements along the way no doubt, but it's not our main screen, our projector is, I just fancied a look at what 4k looks like at the moment, and because HD isn't compromised, what we do watch on TV isn't of lesser quality.

Doesn't look like the Youview+ UHD box will come with HDR from launch, it may be added later with a firmware update or an upgrade kit - recent interview with BT’s general manager of product for BT Sport David Kelly.
  • Options
    MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Merely' because it doesn't make it higher resolution - which is the myth about up-scaling.

But no one said it made it higher resolution :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Yes, there are some cheap imports that will only do 4k@30hz and have no HEVC decoding, there was one linked to on here the other week, it was no good for Netflix/Amazon 4k service or broadcasts when they arrive, not bad for a pc monitor though.

Yes I'll miss out on HDR and other improvements along the way no doubt, but it's not our main screen, our projector is, I just fancied a look at what 4k looks like at the moment, and because HD isn't compromised, what we do watch on TV isn't of lesser quality.

Doesn't look like the Youview+ UHD box will come with HDR from launch, it may be added later with a firmware update or an upgrade kit - recent interview with BT’s general manager of product for BT Sport David Kelly.

Thanks for the interview heads-up, I googled it: https://recombu.com/digital/article/bt-sport-ultra-hd-4k-price-launch-specs

So, 10 bit colour and 50/p so that's good. I see that he "hopes that support for HDR can be added with a firmware update, but didn’t rule out a hardware-based solution" well he's going to have to make up his mind which, how and the likely cost, before I will consider investing in an (HDR capable) 4K TV or BT UHD box, that's for sure.

And with UHD BD devices not until late this year, and at a high price, it looks like UHD for me will have to wait until next year. Something to consider when my current BT TV and Sky TV discount deals expire.
  • Options
    meltcitymeltcity Posts: 2,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the interview heads-up, I googled it: https://recombu.com/digital/article/bt-sport-ultra-hd-4k-price-launch-specs

So, 10 bit colour and 50/p so that's good.

It is, but 100 frames per second would be even better, as showcased by the BBC at the Commonwealth Games (albeit at 1080p resolution - see this article). Trouble is, 4k at 100fps or higher involves a vast amount of number crunching and I don't know of any consumer display that supports it.

It would be interesting to see a side-by-side comparison of 4k/50 and 1080p100 at average viewing distances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    meltcity wrote: »

It would be interesting to see a side-by-side comparison of 4k/50 and 1080p100 at average viewing distances.

Yes, it would! But, they could do 1080p/200fps for the same processor power, could they not? And if so, they are nearly at the Holy Grail of a Worldwide compatible standard of 300 fps.

OK, not as sexy sounding as 4K but I'd bet my bottom dollar that from where I sit, 8 - 10 feet from a perfectly adequate 50 inch set, 1080p/300fps with HDR and 10 bit or more colour would look better than 4K/50 or 100p.
  • Options
    FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone tell me as to the difference between:

LG 32LF650V

and

LG 32LB650V?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FIFA1966 wrote: »

LG 32LF650V

and

LG 32LB650V?

Where are they from?, Currys in particular often have special model numbers so you can't directly compare prices.
  • Options
    alanpearmainalanpearmain Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    It appears that the LG 32LF650V is magic remote ready but the LG 32LB650V is not.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Even if they say the human eye can't see them the overall effect will be better, you might not be able to see the brush strokes of a master but appreciate the beauty of the painting.

An 11k panel would surely make future CGI movie effects using this tech much more impressive.
  • Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly. 4k is the next 3D, it's the next buzz word that's being used to sell tv's but the benefit is over stated on the TV front (The benefit is bigger on the PC Monitor front where you are sitting close enough to really see the benefit) . It's the other tech that's come out of the UHD development that is going to be what really takes things to the next level and that's still very bleeding edge and not really affordable or refined yet
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would wait about 5 years before getting a 4k TV. Went in currys today and saw their 4k curved TV's and I just don't see what the appeal is. Didn't look no different to the standard TV at the side of it. In fact I wouldn't have even known it was curved had I not looked first.
  • Options
    psmpsm Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    With seemingly almost all this years TV's having 4K, then that begs the question of which are the two/ three best non 4K TV's which have above average upscaling ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Upscaling cannot create what is not there so does it matter?

Of course it matters.

The better processing power and quality chip produces a much better upscaled image.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the LG 32LF650V come with a switch on the back to turn it on?
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    TV power switch specifications haven't been standardised even after decades since its invention.

I would wait a few years until they sort that out, if I were you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does the LG 32LF650V come with a switch on the back to turn it on?

Pretty well nothing does these days, the advent of ludicrously low 'stand-by' consumption means it's not worth fitting them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like a visit to Currys then.
  • Options
    the power kingthe power king Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like a visit to Currys then.
    have you got a John Lewis near you if you have go there they give 5 y greeter on all TVs i got both my TVs
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Lewis have some good deals, we bought a washing machine with forty quid off and free delivery, a lot cheaper than everyone else, even AO who have an impressive range and competitive prices. The two year guarantee we got with it is another bonus.

I always assumed they were more expensive.
  • Options
    Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

LG 32LF650V

and

LG 32LB650V?

The LF is this years model, LB is 2014 model too.

Id get the newer one of those, can get a magic remote too, probably wont come with it but you can buy it separately for about £40-50, well worth it as it makes using the smart features much easier and quicker, plus you can programme it to work freeview boxes, sky, surround sound etc