Converting Sony Bravia CX-520 to CX-523. Possible?

daveyfsdaveyfs Posts: 1,468
Forum Member
✭✭✭
To put the thread title in context:

Both these models were available at the same time - 2011. The CX-520 has a DVB-T tuner (no HD), the CX-523 has a DVB-T2 tuner.

Is there any way of changing the tuner module on the CX-520 to 'upgrade' it to a CX-523 in order to receive the T2 multiplexes? Or is it not that simple?

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The tuner module could actually be the same as that does not really differentiate a DVB-T from a DVB-T2 device. All the tuner does is suck an 8MHz wide chunk of RF spectrum out of what is coming down the aerial lead.

It is the demodulator that determines whether you can get DVB-T or DVB-T2 broadcasts. Mind you it may all be on the same circuit board.

But there will also be firmware differences between the two as well. Which could involve changing a load of other circuit boards as well.

Then you have to factor in whether any replacement boards required are physically and electrically compatible. ie are the board similar sizes, do they have the mounting points in the same places, are the connectors to feed signals to the other parts of the TV the same, do they even have the same power supply requirements?

So it might not be as simple as you may think. And given the pace of change in the TV market how easily can you get the required parts? And is it worth the effort in the first place?
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    As chrisjr said, you would need to replace the entire PCB (assuming it's compatible), and update the software accordingly - assuming such an update is possible (it depends if the LCD panel is the same across the two models). I would 'expect' the boards to probably be exchangeable though.

Just sell the set, and buy a new one - which will have a later spec. anyway.

Or, just buy an HD PVR, far more useful than a plain TV - and probably cheaper?.
  • daveyfsdaveyfs Posts: 1,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the answers - much as I thought its probably too much hassle considering trade in and the cost of a new set.

As far as I can tell (and the service manual seems to back this up) the two models are identical apart from this one difference.

I do feed it through a Panasonic DWT-420 with T2 tuner and the picture quality is lovely, so loathe to get rid of it. I thought I might tackle it as a learning exercise but truth be told I'd probably be in over my head!