Options

Shud the Big Bang theory go bck to how it used to be in seasons 1-4

124»

Comments

• Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I actually think Penny loves Leonard very much, but her insecurities and past relationships have made it difficult for her to be open and trusting. I don't think she trusts Leonard not to leave her for someone smarter and that's why she seems to be the one who is always ready for a break-up.

The same applies to Leonard. He thinks she's going to go off with someone taller, more muscled etc. Remember how he got with her rock band friend?
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I agree with you that Leonard loves Penny, but Penny doesn't love him as much and that was the point I was making. He would never dump her for any reason whatsoever, he is too obsessed with her to freely give her up... but, for a few weeks prior to the episode I described she was umming and ahhing about their relationship and the fact she doesn't want what he wants so much (she talked to Amy and Bernadette about breaking up a few times I think). And the point I mentioned seemed like a natural time for HER to break up with HIM for his own good, all so he could find someone that would truly appreciate him and wants everything he wants as she doesn't.
    I was watching a repeat on E4 last night and it was one of the several times that she laughs/smirks at the thought that Leonard would leave her. She knows he's infactuated with her (plus she's hot) and he would never dump her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    The same applies to Leonard. He thinks she's going to go off with someone taller, more muscled etc. Remember how he got with her rock band friend?

He thinks she wil eventually want someone hotter and she thinks he will eventually want someone smarter. Quite a dysfunctional relationship :p
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I was watching a repeat on E4 last night and it was one of the several times that she laughs/smirks at the thought that Leonard would leave her. She knows he's infactuated with her (plus she's hot) and he would never dump her.

If she thinks he would never leave her, why does she try to grab his attention by appearing smarter? She clearly gets jealous when he speaks to intelligent and attractive women. I think the laughing is just a front.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just because she thinks he'll never leave it doesn't mean that she doesn't get jealous or envious and wants to better herself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why would she get jealous though? If you know your partner will never leave you, why care? She obviously has insecurities. She tries to better herself where Leonard is concerned. When it's just for herself she gives up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Because he can talk to his and her friends about science and other subjects. Doesn't mean he'll dump her for a geeky girl.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't say he will dump her, but Penny seems quite insecure when it comes to his job. I don't think she's confident he will stay with her at all, which is why she gets jealous of smarter girls.
  • Options
    dorkjacksndorkjacksn Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having watched a few eps of the first series on E4, the one thing I kinda notice is how much more of a group the guys were. Sheldon wasnt as unpalatably obnoxious, Leonard wasnt such a smug jerk, they just seemed a more believable unit. Nowadays it genuinely does baffle one as to why Leonard and Sheldon remain friends... Leonard used to be nearly as clueless about a lot of pop culture as Sheldon, now hes just a generic 'guy'.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But it's not that Leonard was too unintelligent to know about such things, just that he hadn't had any exposure to it. But surely he has now had exposure to "low culture" through his relationship with Penny so he should now be more worldly wise.

As for Penny's insecurity or otherwise, originally she would have assumed that Leonard had never even seen a woman naked let alone had sex. But over the seasons Leonard has had sex with something like half a dozen other women so his finding someone else is more of a possibility these days. Also, personally speaking, I've found several of his other girlfriend's far hotter than Penny (granted Leonard may not share my tastes for non-blondes :D).

As for Leonard he may still think Penny might leave him but he certainly can't think he will never get another girlfriend, why these days girls are throwing themselves at him.

He's also discovered he's the King of Foreplay. :p
  • Options
    Purple.Purple. Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Amy but would quite like to see her with Stuart. Bernadette annoys me and I think I preferred Howard single, when he wasn't too creepy at least.
    I think Sheldon is too over-the-top sometimes, considering how nasty he is to Leonard (intentionally or not) it would make sense for Leonard live on his own for a while. I'd like to see Sheldon realise how much he needs/likes him and start being a bit nicer to him.
    I like Leonard and Penny and hope they stay together, otherwise it is just another long on-off romance where we know they will get together in the last episode.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Howard in the eye patch trying to pick up women was truely wonderful in a creepy kind of way and him now being settled down and almost normal is real pain.

Plus Raj and his messed up new girlfriend, that isn't going to end well (Please don't tell me if it goes to heck in a hand cart I want to find out for myselt thanks :))

Equally Sheldon will never change (more than he has since the pilot anyway) he lacks the interest or ability to really care long term about anyone very much and even when he does care it's in a very abstract way.

Still the show still works and I would like to see Stuart get a girl, it would round things off nicely or make his life even worse!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    For me it the funniest Comedy series around at the moment,
    Cant get enough of it, Its a shame we are nearly at the end of the sixth season, Got to wait till November for season seven.

A Tv Show has to evolve, bring in new characters, other wise its gets stale..

the sixth season for me has been 50 % good and 50% Hilarious.

One thing I have missed this season, is seeing any of the main characters family members,

Not once have we seen Sheldon's mother, or any introduction to any other family members..

I would like to see Sheldon's Brother, may be his sister again.
    may be Penny's family, Mother or other sisters or brothers.

Leonard Father or brothers and sisters,
    may be his mum appear again, would be good.

Raj other sisters or brothers, Not the sister Leonard dated she grated on me a bit.

Thinking Raj, may be his parents come to America, actually see them in a episode or two, with out being on the laptop.

Penny has issues with commitment, she loves Leonard, Leonard just need to be patient with her.. there is still a lot of story there between them.

Yes may be in a season eight, they get married.
    Let Penny have time to deal with these issues..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The only major thing not to move on is Raj talking to women. (I'm only 1/3 through S6 so don't know what happens next).

It seems like a bit of an oversight giving how the rest have moved on - apart from Sheldon which I suppose is the bedrock of the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This may seem like a silly idea but how about a show within the show.

heres the pitch- Lenoard gets talked by Penny into taking a part time job as a advisor for a 'new' sitcom about four nerds. Lenoard can have meetings with the writers and try to explain sci fi and science jokes which the writers don't get. We meet the 'cast' alernate versions of the real cast. The two Sheldon's get on very well Amy gets jealous because her Sheldon takes the other one out to dinner etc.

Raj gets over his woman issues with the 'cast' female version of Raj.

And then Leonard wakes up 'it was all a dream' but Chuck Lorrie is sitting in his room and says 'Cut' then Leonard wakes up for real and says 'No More Charlie Sheen marathones for me!'

I know silly but it would be different.
  • Options
    3iff3iff Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    This may seem like a silly idea but how about a show within the show.

heres the pitch- Lenoard gets talked by Penny into taking a part time job as a advisor for a 'new' sitcom about four nerds. Lenoard can have meetings with the writers and try to explain sci fi and science jokes which the writers don't get. We meet the 'cast' alernate versions of the real cast. The two Sheldon's get on very well Amy gets jealous because her Sheldon takes the other one out to dinner etc.

Raj gets over his woman issues with the 'cast' female version of Raj.

And then Leonard wakes up 'it was all a dream' but Chuck Lorrie is sitting in his room and says 'Cut' then Leonard wakes up for real and says 'No More Charlie Sheen marathones for me!'

I know silly but it would be different.

That actually is a good idea, but Alt-Leonard would be tall, handsome and the clever one while Alt-Sheldon would be similar to how Leonard is now. Alt-Leonard would always 'win' arguments but do so by being clever and witty rather than manipulative and obstructing. Of course, Alt -Leonard would have a fantastic supermodel quality girlfriend.

Alt-Leonard would also be able to ride a motorbike.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the switch there, it plays nicely to the sci fi fan in me.

It would be interesting if the writers tried it because there will be plenty of in jokes they could use round the Sheldon and Co. verses their successful actor alternate selves.
  • Options
    rkidrkid Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    'What is your opinion on the above suggestion? I am dismayed that the central characters have evolved from the socially awkward creatures witnessed in the first few series. Although the show does still provoke laughter in me from time to time, the frequency of this has decreased significantly. However, my opinion may not be shared by the majority of viewers in the US, as the show's ratings over there are at an all time high.'

Was that more confusing? :p

Ahhhh, thank you ;), I don't know I don't watch it :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    No it's changed quite a bit, it is like Friends, we have scenes of the three female characters sitting together moaning about men and relationships. It's supposed to be a comedy not a soap opera.

I really don't see the need for the other permanent female characters, Penny was enough.

Sticking them in permanent relationships limits the stories and as for Raj why did they ever write that he can't speak to women sober? Might have been a good gag for the first season, but now it just drags.

A lot of the geekness has gone simply because the female characters frown on it, Sheldon breaking into Klingon is funny but now we get very little, the male characters seem to spend most of their time bitching about their women as well.

Not funny or entertaining.

The stories were bound to become limited anyway. How many different stories can someone write about the same 5 characters.

Season 5 - Sheldon's being weird; Leonard and Penny are together.

Season 6 - Sheldon's being weird; Leonard and Penny split up.

Season 7 - Sheldon's being weird; Leonard and Penny are...

Sorry, I just lost the will to finish typing that. Programmes need to change and move on otherwise they stagnate. One of the few programmes to avoid that is The Simpsons, and that's because they have a lot of characters so can keep coming up with new ideas involving all of those characters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    season seven's dynamics should change now, Slightly..

Raj can now talk to women,

Penny said the L word to Leonard,
    there relationship has deepened, i got a feeling another twist may come in to it, next season.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watcher DC wrote: »
    Penny said the L word to Leonard,

Was that the first time she'd said it to him then? I had thought so and was expecting the audience to whoop a bit at that moment!
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like them to ditch Amy, she is the one part of the show i do not like, she's like a 3/4 Sheldon, we don't need another Sheldon. I also preferred it when Bernadette was only in the odd episode, now like Amy, she is in it far too much. I'm fine with shows bringing in more people but they didn't need to make them regulars. I still love the show but it was even better when it was the 4 friends and Penny, with the odd appearance of characters like Stuart, Leslie, Kripke etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    No, the show shouldn't go back to the way it was, its evolution, there are only so many times they could use the same jokes if it was just the 4 guys and the girl across the hall.

We're coming into season 7 and we've seen them go from 4 completely awkward nerds to one being married and two being in long term relationships (and poor Raj). I don't see why people are complaining, I thought season 6 was great.