Will race be brought into this?

Comments

• JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kromm wrote: »
    Last I checked, Rita is black too, so it would be more of a shade bias than an outright race one (a not uncommon conflict though that really exists--although I'm not saying if that's really the case here).

Lol! I don't know how you came to that conclusion - does she really look black to you? Maybe someone should tell her to ease up on the fake tan.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I won't attack you. This argument holds water - it's just that in the modern era, we're not supposed to say it. Even Simon commented on it in the American show the other year. It's often predictable that some black contestants will be voted out earlier than they deserve...

There are quite a few dark-skinned WoC in pop - Kelly Rowland, Azealia Banks, Lauryn Hill, Michelle Williams, Jennifer Hudson, Keisha Buchanan, Alexandra Burke...and from earlier times, Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner, Chaka Khan.. and these are some of my most favourite women in music. Now it may well have been a struggle for them to success and maybe there should be more. However, in the current case it just may be that that TV shows reflect audience demographics? There may be a degree of colourism rather than racism in this.

I loved Misha B, what happened to her?
  • TallywackerTallywacker Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another trademark nonsense post by gentleguy. Surprised it doesn't ask who would win in a fight between the 2 contestants.
  • wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People need to relax a bit and ask themselves why they get so uncomfortable and defensive about this subject.

Race and pre-judging ( prejudice) is part of every aspect of human interaction and people who shy away from a discussion about it have got some undealt with issues.

In an entertainment show in particular race is absolutely an issue when it comes to how people are perceived and how a decision is made about whether someone is liked or not .......so are a lot of things but race and how someone looks and how relatable to they are is a huge part of it and it is a 100% relevant to discuss one's impressions of HOW it has played a part.
  • gentleguygentleguy Posts: 16,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    There are quite a few dark-skinned WoC in pop - Kelly Rowland, Azealia Banks, Lauryn Hill, Michelle Williams, Jennifer Hudson, Keisha Buchanan, Alexandra Burke...and from earlier times, Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner, Chaka Khan.. and these are some of my most favourite women in music. Now it may well have been a struggle for them to success and maybe there should be more. However, in the current case it just may be that that TV shows reflect audience demographics? There may be a degree of colourism rather than racism in this.

I loved Misha B, what happened to her?

Some of the women you mentioned are not dark skinned tbh
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another trademark nonsense post by gentleguy. Surprised it doesn't ask who would win in a fight between the 2 contestants.

I'm entitled to post what I like thank you
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL, you really expect a frank and open conversation on race and colourism on DS? Seriously, as a forum member of colour you should know what it is.

Lool true
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt if there will ever be a black person win XF, however good they are unfortunately. The GBP are only really interested in voting for good looking male artists, and has little to do with their musical talent.
  • JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexandra Burke won and she is dark skinned. Whether another one wins in the future remains to be seen if the show is still running.
  • satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    I doubt if there will ever be a black person win XF, however good they are unfortunately. The GBP are only really interested in voting for good looking male artists, and has little to do with their musical talent.

Maybe my eyes deceived me, but Alexander Burke & Leona were black last time I checked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    satellite wrote: »
    Maybe my eyes deceived me, but Alexander Burke & Leona were black last time I checked.

Sorry, but they are both mixed race.
    Forum Member

I know Leona is, but Alex's mum & dad..........I look forward to seeing your answer.
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    the only reason race gets brought up is when bitter fans want to make an excuse for why their "favourite" didn't get through
    Forum Member
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    the only reason race gets brought up is when bitter fans want to make an excuse for why their "favourite" didn't get through

Mmmm, to make a claim as to why a black person wouldn't win X Factor is just ludicrous and juvenile. I think he forgets the year Alexandra won & JLS were runners up!
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Both her parents are black so how is she 'mixed race'?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mmmm, to make a claim as to why a black person wouldn't win X Factor is just ludicrous and juvenile. I think he forgets the year Alexandra won & JLS were runners up

Utter nonsense.
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Both her parents are black so how is she 'mixed race'?

Exactly, but he won't admit he's talking out of his arse.
    Forum Member
    Mmmm, to make a claim as to why a black person wouldn't win X Factor is just ludicrous and juvenile. I think he forgets the year Alexandra won & JLS were runners up

Utter nonsense.

Of course it's nonsense, it didn't happen - 'twas a figment of my imagination :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it's nonsense, it didn't happen - 'twas a figment of my imagination :D

How bizarre as I appear to have imagined the self same thing :o:o:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well you do have a very vivid imagine most of the time on here dont you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you do have a very vivid imagine most of the time on here dont you.

Were you looking in a mirror when you posted that? Pots and kettles springs to mind :D:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please explain that as it would appear to be a personal attack which is against the t&c's of this website

i apologise, as what i meant to say is that you do over state things sometimes.
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    i apologise, as wjat o ,eamt tp sau os tjat upi pver state tjomgs sp,eto,es.

i agree :D
    Forum Member

Maybe Jeref was too young to remember, but it did happen - I'm sure of it :p
  • kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes athis year 4th power or whatever they are called are going to win and they are also black :p