New PS3 Super Slim or the previous Slimline model?

toogoodfortvtoogoodfortv Posts: 6,536
Forum Member
Hi all

Looking to buy my fiance a PS3 for Christmas.

I'm a big gamer myself, but I play xbox .. seeing as I'll be moving in with him next year, I thought I'd get him a PS3 so we have one of each at home, but it will be his console.

Anyway, the new Super Slim models are relatively well priced . I can get one for £125 at Tesco's .... I have external HDD's that can be used for extra storage if needs be, but in the meantime, he'll just really be playing FIFA, Assasin's Creed, GTA and watching Blu-ray dvd;s etc ..

Also does PS3 have love film/netflix etc ....

I started out with a PS2 myself but moved to xbox around 4-5 years ago ...

What's your advice?

Comments

• Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    If the £125 one is the 12GB model, NO STAY AWAY.

There's no real benefit of the super slim over the normal Slim, so if you can get a normal Slim with a 160GB Hard Drive, New and for a good price, go for that.

Yes the PS3 has Netflix and Lovefilm Apps.
  • toogoodfortvtoogoodfortv Posts: 6,536
    Forum Member
    Thanks .. I've read mixed reviews about the new model, with quite a few people saying to stick to the original slim ..

With regards to the built in Wi-Fi .. that mean it doesn't need connected via ethernet cable? Cos that's such a big plus for us if I understand it right!!
  • familyguy8904familyguy8904 Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks .. I've read mixed reviews about the new model, with quite a few people saying to stick to the original slim ..

With regards to the built in Wi-Fi .. that mean it doesn't need connected via ethernet cable? Cos that's such a big plus for us if I understand it right!![/QUOTE]

The PS3 have built in Wi Fi so the no need for enternet cable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Cabled is better than WiFi when it gets serious

Get previous model 320GB

Do not forget to buy all 3 Uncharted games either
  • c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As an owner of the super slim ps3 I can safely say there is nothing wrong with it:D

It does everything the slim ps3 does, except its smaller in size and has a slidy opening door to access the disc instead of an eject mechanism.
    Also compared to my slim that I used to have, the super slim is far far quieter.

I own the 500GB model:)

My main disappointment is that Sony still haven't given us wireless N, and have stuck with the crappy G, which will make a big difference if gaming via wireless!
  • steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    With the ps3, as well as games, bluray, upscaled DVD playback etc, you can also slip in a 1tb HDD (user replaceable - very easy to do so) and along with Play TV (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0017UV0UG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B0017UV0UG&linkCode=as2&tag=mysp085-21 ) you're able to turn the ps3 into a 1tb freeview PVR - although, you can't get Freeview HD presently.

A HDD like this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005DVJJWQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B005DVJJWQ&linkCode=as2&tag=mysp085-21 would be spot on! Note as well, play tv Upscaled the sd image - certainly the best freeview sd image I've ever seen.

The ps3 is the only box under my tv - I've never used a Xbox so it's one sided - I think the 12gb super super slim can have a 1tb drive fitted? - think you need to just buy the 'ps3 harddrive caddy'for around £6

Oh, and you can get a remote to control the ps3 and TV too with the v2.0 remote control (around £18 from amazon on import - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0050SX9I2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B0050SX9I2&linkCode=as2&tag=mysp085-21 )

Also, Netflix works really well - good HD streams and for an extra £3 pm you can change the IP address so that you can get the USA Netflix.
    It also has iplayer and can play Mkv files (after saving as mo4 pass thru)
  • D3XT3RD3XT3R Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My only problem with the newer slim is the noise, got mine last week as a replacement for my phat YLOD and wow:eek: can you hear that disc spin and the reading of it also, especially on games that have multiple loads during play. Stick with the original slim, the only reason I got this one for is the price as I had a HDD to replace the 12gb on board flash