Phone 5C pre-orders a big disappointment...

Comments

• Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect there will be more demand for the 5S than 5C. Price wise on Three the difference is £50 up front between them. (5S £99 and 5C £49 up front) Plus the blingy Gold iPhone will appeal to Chavs and Goldfinger :D
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Stock is about 25% higher now than it was when he took over in October 2011.

I wasn't suggesting his actions will reduce the share price by 50% (he would be gone long before such a scenario), I was basically explaining how he really is the highest paid CEO in the world. And by a big margin. Heck, his total remuneration even dwarfs an industry legend like Larry Ellison's remuneration package from the (now huge) company he personally co-founded! It really is that big (and crazy imo)
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    I wasn't suggesting his actions will reduce the share price by 50% (he would be gone long before such a scenario), I was basically explaining how he really is the highest paid CEO in the world. And by a big margin. Heck, his total remuneration even dwarfs an industry legend like Larry Ellison's remuneration package from the (now huge) company he personally co-founded! It really is that big (and crazy imo)

Ah, I get you. I thought that was in reference to the actual fall in stock.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    50% lower than a year ago when the remaining Jobs legacy evaporated

You do seem to have a thing about Jobs and his legacy, vision etc.

The stock was around $370 when Jobs died.

It is currently around $470.

When it reached the highs it did, it was under Cook, not Jobs.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    But still based on jobs product sales 4, 4s, ipad - since we have had TC only apple products we have seen a 50% fall in share price.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't tell me - had Jobs not died when he did, he would have come up with more revolutionary products, and those products would have gone from inception, through development, and to market in under two years. Remarkable.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might be way overpriced but that is what you get with Apple.

This is a certainly a better phone than the old 5.
    Plus as I have always said, a plastic phone means it is better than the 5 for making calls, something reviews have confirmed.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    It might be way overpriced but that is what you get with Apple.

This is a certainly a better phone than the old 5.
    Plus as I have always said, a plastic phone means it is better than the 5 for making calls, something reviews have confirmed.

Don't agree on plastic giving better reception it used to be a problem but it seems to have been sorted. HTC managed do it with the One amazing voice and signal quality not sure how anyone could complain about that.
  • hotmat3khotmat3k Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    Don't agree on plastic giving better reception it used to be a problem but it seems to have been sorted. HTC managed do it with the One amazing voice and signal quality not sure how anyone could complain about that.
    But it lasts 5 minutes because it uses so much battery power to ensure the quality of the signal.

Come on guys. Get some perspective. Apple are at least offering some design choice. Personally, the iPhone 5/5S are ugly. I always wanted a plastic iPhone 5 that mimicked the iPod Touch shape. iOS 7 is worth most of the money you pay for an iPhone any day of the week. Whether it's in 5C or 5S form.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hotmat3k wrote: »
    But it lasts 5 minutes because it uses so much battery power to ensure the quality of the signal.

Come on guys. Get some perspective. Apple are at least offering some design choice. Personally, the iPhone 5/5S are ugly. I always wanted a plastic iPhone 5 that mimicked the iPod Touch shape. iOS 7 is worth most of the money you pay for an iPhone any day of the week. Whether it's in 5C or 5S form.

Not had any problems with battery on my HTC one. I am on phone fair bit of the day, and it makes it through the day to 7/8pm by that time I am at home so it doesn't matter by then. Honestly I noticed even further battery optimizations since 4.2 update.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (same as Moyles taking over at Man Utd)

He's more of a Leeds man. Thankfully!
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Don't tell me - had Jobs not died when he did, he would have come up with more revolutionary products, and those products would have gone from inception, through development, and to market in under two years. Remarkable.

Who can say except I would bet the 5c nightmare would never have seen the light of day under him.

If you think think in any way that apple becoming the most valuable company in the world was in any way down to TC you are more deluded than I initially thought.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like even the fans who were out early in the Land Down Under were unimpressed with the 5C and were all after the 5S.
    We moved down the queue asking what model the queuing fanbois wanted and did not hear any interest in the 5c until the 60th person in the queue. All the folks ahead in the queue declared the 5c to be plasticky or somehow not the real deal. The word "crap" was aired more than once.

A request for a show of hands for iPhone 5c buyers from the 200-odd other folks in the queue yielded only a few raised hands.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/20/fanbois_shun_crappy_plastic_iphone_5c/
    Forum Member
    Sounds like a rebellion, don't they know that Apple know what is best for them.
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    Am I the only one who doesn't think they are ugly?

They are very nicely crafted and having actually seen and held one myself, they are a very nice phone, I thought they were ok having seen images online of them but since holding one and seeing it upclose they have a very Decent feel to them.

The only issue I believe is the stupid price for them

It's a premium price for a budget phone, it makes no sense, a primary school kid could have foreseen a lack of sales coming because of this!
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I admit I don't have the statistics to back this up, but surely most people don't preorder their phones? They get one when they're entitled to an upgrade or the network phones them and offers them a deal.

I thought the point of the 5C/5S split was, as others have said, to target demographics more effectively. If we in the UK prefer slim, unfussy phones then the 5S is for us. If other countries prefer pretty colours then the 5C is for them.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    I admit I don't have the statistics to back this up, but surely most people don't preorder their phones? They get one when they're entitled to an upgrade or the network phones them and offers them a deal.

Yep I think people are missing a point.

The 5C isn't a flag ship device that people are going to queue up outside Apple stores to buy. That's the 5S. The 5C is a device that will sit in Apples inventory and be a potentially attractive option to someone who may currently use a non Apple phone but in a few months fancies trying an iPhone but can't quite afford the price of the 5S. So they get a 5C. It's a slow burner. It's not a queue up and buy on day 1 device.

I'm not saying it's going to be a success, i've no idea.. it may still flop. But i'm not sure why people are expecting this phone to have as many pre orders as the main iPhone models. It was never going to.
    Forum Member
    But it's pre-orders (if the DS article is correct) are 90% down on previous iPhone launches. That's still a very big drop even if what you say is correct regarding the 5S (and I think it is correct btw). Time will tell, I guess.

PS Clearly Apple fans DO pre-order new iPhones in big numbers because for the last 4 years Apple has made a point of proudly revealing the pre-order numbers. AFAIAA they haven't revealed any figures for the 5C, which probably suggests they aren't that great.
  • acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the iPhone 5c running iOS 7 is going to look like one of those cheap Chinese android clone phones you can buy from eBay.
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    He's more of a Leeds man. Thankfully!

You know I'm so thick I had to read that several times to realise my error :o. OK:

MOYES! :D
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PS Clearly Apple fans DO pre-order new iPhones in big numbers because for the last 4 years Apple has made a point of proudly revealing the pre-order numbers. AFAIAA they haven't revealed any figures for the 5C, which probably suggests they aren't that great.

If the 5C was the only phone released this year by Apple you would have a very valid point.. but it isn't. The 5S is the phone apple fans will be buying because that's the flagship device. That's the device that is following the established yearly upgrade sequence.

2010: 4
    2011: 4S
    2012: 5
    2013: 5S

So the big numbers will be with the 5S. The 5C is an extra device that was never really supposed to exist and is aiming to try and fill a particular gap. But that doesn't mean apple fans are going to flock to buy it.. because most already have an iPhone 4/4S and any that want a new iPhone will get the 5S. It's aimed at a different market that doesn't attract pre-orders.

Apple will be more interested in how many 5C's they sell over the next year. They'll then decide based on that if it's been a success or not. It's a phone that's aimed to hook in non iPhone users who wander into the Apple store over the next few months. It's not aimed at the folks who queue up outside Apple stores.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...because for the last 4 years Apple has made a point of proudly revealing the pre-order numbers
    I put that 'difficult to get hold of' 5s down to chipset difficulties.
    My usual tin hat could say it could also be a shop queue generation strategy.

Even the 5c is an improvement on the 5, but it seems that maybe people expecting more for their money.
    They always have plan B.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apple will be more interested in how many 5C's they sell over the next year. They'll then decide based on that if it's been a success or not. It's a phone that's aimed to hook in non iPhone users who wander into the Apple store over the next few months. It's not aimed at the folks who queue up outside Apple stores.

Yes, I think the tactic of allowing preorders on the 5C only is a strategic thing. People who want the 5S will get one anyway. People who don't want the 5S are the target market for the 5C.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joey_J wrote: »
    Am I the only one who doesn't think they are ugly?

They are very nicely crafted and having actually seen and held one myself, they are a very nice phone, I thought they were ok having seen images online of them but since holding one and seeing it upclose they have a very Decent feel to them.

The only issue I believe is the stupid price for them

It's a premium price for a budget phone, it makes no sense, a primary school kid could have foreseen a lack of sales coming because of this!

I haven't seen them yet, but pretty much everything I've read seems to agree that its a well made and sturdy phone for one with a plastic back.

Its not a budget phone though.

Put it this way - would you have described the iPhone 5 as a budget phone?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Who can say except I would bet the 5c nightmare would never have seen the light of day under him.

If you think think in any way that apple becoming the most valuable company in the world was in any way down to TC you are more deluded than I initially thought.

I think pretty much anyone could say with some confidence that products don't go from original idea to market in 12-24 months.

Its not that I think the rise in stock was down to TC. Its more that I disagree that the fall in stock in down to TC.

Its difficult to think that Apple would have done anything much differently in the last 12-24 months product wise had SJ not died.

Its all very well you saying you don't like the 5C, because you think its cheap, tacky, an embarrassing piece of shit nightmare etc.

But pretty much every review by anyone who has actually seen and held the phone seems to disagree with you.