Retirement.

howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
Forum Member
I've got a few years to go, but, I wonder, after year of routine of getting up for work what do you do when ...one day you don't have to get up and go to work,
I'm worried of getting bored, what can I do to pass the time of day?

Comments

• Viscount ByronViscount Byron Posts: 1,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get outside, do some manual labour, fix things, build things, go fishing, take up Yoga/Pilates, write a novel, read a novel, go fishing, go boating, build a boat etc etc

many MANY things.
  • chebbychebby Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    And remember retirement , is what you have worked all your life to do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I can't wait for that part of my life! I'll just potter about all day, bliss!
    Is it strange that I often find myself jealous of old people? :o Not too old mind..
  • Viscount ByronViscount Byron Posts: 1,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GOGO2 wrote: »
    Oh I can't wait for that part of my life! I'll just potter about all day, bliss!
    Is it strange that I often find myself jealous of old people? :o Not too old mind..

Yeah its all fun & games till you keep waking up everyday with crap in your pants and you have no idea how it happened.
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    Get outside, do some manual labour, fix things, build things, go fishing, take up Yoga/Pilates, write a novel, read a novel, go fishing, go boating, build a boat etc etc

many MANY things.

I guess so...It's just getting out of the habit of going to work.
    thinking about it,
    I may do some volunteering work.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friend retired 10 months ago.

He's now looking for a little driving job or something to keep him busy...
    Forum Member
    Yeah its all fun & games till you keep waking up everyday with crap in your pants and you have no idea how it happened.

I've heard sometimes that happens before retirement every now and then:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

True. :(
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    My friend retired 10 months ago.

He's now looking for a little driving job or something to keep him busy...

I retired two years ago and I still don't have enough time; no need for any more employment to keep me busy. :)
    Forum Member

I suspect knowing how it happened is worse though.
  • bostin_austinbostin_austin Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    howardl wrote: »
    I've got a few years to go, but, I wonder, after year of routine of getting up for work what do you do when ...one day you don't have to get up and go to work,

Get an allotment. Seriously, I would recommend allotments to everybody. I'm only 43, so not near retirement, but have 2 allotments, both 60 x 20 foot each for about 9 years now. It's incredible how time flies down there, I take the radio and teapot and it's great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    I retired two years ago and I still don't have enough time; no need for any more employment to keep me busy. :)

Good for you!
    Theres so many places to go, books to read, films to watch, people to catch up with. I couldn't imagion being bored.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for you!
    Theres so many places to go, books to read, films to watch, people to catch up with. I couldn't imagion being bored.

Same here! I have been retired 2 and a half years now.....
    5 holidays a year, hotel breaks, walks into town, meet other retired staff each month, learning to play electric guitar, tracing family history, going on Digital Spy, building narrow gauge model railway in shed, playing on XBox and Wii plus other stuff as well.....

No time to ever go back to work!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i just like staying in, being bored anyway..so no change there then :D
    Forum Member
    Get an allotment. Seriously, I would recommend allotments to everybody. I'm only 43, so not near retirement, but have 2 allotments, both 60 x 20 foot each for about 9 years now. It's incredible how time flies down there, I take the radio and teapot and it's great.

Allotments...aren't they getting built on?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Allotments...aren't they getting built on?

There would be anarchy if Brum Council closed our allotments. There is such a diverse group of people down there, it's a real community. Yes, you get the old 'uns in there 80's, but it increasingly popular with people in their 30's now. They've raised the rents slightly, but still remains affordable. The satisfaction of growng your own food is well worth the work.
    Forum Member
    There would be anarchy if Brum Council closed our allotments. There is such a diverse group of people down there, it's a real community. Yes, you get the old 'uns in there 80's, but it increasingly popular with people in their 30's now. They've raised the rents slightly, but still remains affordable. The satisfaction of growng your own food is well worth the work.

The only problem round here is the huge waiting list, had ours for a decade so we are OK. Similar to you no developer in his right mind would want to take on the range of people who have allotments around here. There are much easier targets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Mc wrote: »
    Same here! I have been retired 2 and a half years now.....
    5 holidays a year, hotel breaks, walks into town, meet other retired staff each month, learning to play electric guitar, tracing family history, going on Digital Spy, building narrow gauge model railway in shed, playing on XBox and Wii plus other stuff as well.....

No time to ever go back to work!

Your life sounds ace!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your life sounds ace!

Believe you me it is!
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

many MANY things.
    Damn straight. I'm so looking forward to retirement. Walking whenever I feel like it. Playing golf whenever I feel like it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    The only problem round here is the huge waiting list, had ours for a decade so we are OK..

There's over a 10 year waiting list for our allotments. When we took ours on, half the plots were untaken, nobody wanted them then.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    Damn straight. I'm so looking forward to retirement.
    Don't wish too hard. It is not all fun and games. Once you get to a certain age (varies with us all) you find much of your time will be taken up with sitting in medical waiting rooms for all the tests and other appointments that they will dream up for you!

I know - I am at that stage. :mad:
  • poshmanposhman Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    just subscribe to sky sports 1/23/4 extra F1 im going to in 3 years and 1 months time
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How wonderful! I think retirement would be wonderful ( but I'm obsessed about my pension at the moment)

Evening classes in things you never had time to learn
    Write the book you want to read!
    Volunteer
    Hospital/ prison visiting

I quite fancy partial retirement when 60, ie drawing my pension but working part time so I would be working far less but taking home the same ( or more) money.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member

take a trip to the dentist ..That should shift abit of boredom :D