Wii U....What are your first impressions?

Comments

• SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You really are taking the mick right:confused: as if your being serious you have got me and I guess everyone else seriously confused. Nintendo making a loss on the console LMAO, the battery the most expensive part :eek:, come on your gotta be having a laugh.

I suggest u do some research!!!! :-)
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You really are taking the mick right:confused: as if your being serious you have got me and I guess everyone else seriously confused. Nintendo making a loss on the console LMAO, the battery the most expensive part :eek:, come on your gotta be having a laugh.

He's right. Nintendo do sell each console at a loss, albeit a small one. However, once a customer has bought their first game Nintendo enters profit.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    He's right. Nintendo do sell each console at a loss, albeit a small one. However, once a customer has bought their first game Nintendo enters profit.

Not just any game mind, it has to be an actual first party Nintendo game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Not just any game mind, it has to be an actual first party Nintendo game.

I'm not saying youre wrong, but I don't recall hearing in Reggie's original interview that it specifically had to be a first-party game. After all, Nintendo make money on all games sold for their systems, not just the ones made and published by them. It's the same for all platform holders.

What he actually said was "As soon as we get the consumer to buy one piece of software, then that entire transaction becomes profit positive"

Perhaps he clarified the details later?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    I suggest u do some research!!!! :-)

Yeah right on wikkipedia:rolleyes: :p

The day I believe any of that pigs will fly;)
    Forum Member
    I'm not saying youre wrong, but I don't recall hearing in Reggie's original interview that it specifically had to be a first-party game.

Don't know if I'm wrong or not as I read it Here
    So the Wii U sells at a loss too, meaning Nintendo is essentially losing money for each one sold, but only just. In fact, according to Reggie Fils-Aime, customers only need to buy a single first-party Wii U game to make up for the money Nintendo loses on a Wii U.
    Forum Member
    Yeah right on wikkipedia:rolleyes: :p

The day I believe any of that pigs will fly;)

Will the BBC News website be good enough for you?
    www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20095125
    Or even Nintendo Gamer
    http://m.nintendo-gamer.net/2012/11/21/reggie-confirms-wii-u-sells-at-a-loss-but-only-just
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will the BBC News website be good enough for you?
    www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20095125

I take anything the BBC says with a big pinch of salt but on this occasion they are just quoting what nintendo have said. But I dont read too much into claims being made by nintendo, maybe its a way of trying to justify the very high price of the console. But this discussion is for another day, my point was a larger capacity battery should have been included as standard.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's brilliant so far. Call of Duty is running better than it ever did on the PS3- better graphics, less lag and much less random disconnections.
    I've been playing Black Ops 2 since Christmas, but I've also got NSMBU to play which I'm sure will also be brilliant.

I hope Nintendo make Mario Kart Wii U soon. The Mario Kart games are my favourite :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know if I'm wrong or not as I read it Here

Looks like Nintendo Gamer might have been speculating based on what they read in the Mercury article.

There's a full transcript of the interview here.

http://www.siliconbeat.com/2012/11/16/12262/

I've had a quick scan and I can't see any mention of first party games.

Not that it matters Gonzo, I'm not out to disagree with you. The point is that Wii U consoles ARE sold at a loss, despite what certain posters here will maintain. I'm guessing that quotes direct from the mouth of the boss of Nintendo USA aren't good enough for her.
  • barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I finally got the Wii U on Christmas. With it being set up in basically a black spot, my internet connection was extremly poor so to download the system update we had to move the console into the hall beside the router for it to work. Thank God for the Gamepad! :p Got a receiver now though so the connection is much better.

Played Nintendoland and I have to say I haven't had that much fun in a long time. It's fantastic. I was crying with laughter playing with my brother and dad during the Mario Chase game, it was so much fun.

The Gamepad is a brilliant as well. It didn't take long at all really to adjust to it and now feels weird going back to the PS3 controller. It's so comfortable and I find myself looking more at its screen than the TV. The Pro Controller as well is really comfortable and doesn't feel awkward at all with the right analogue stick being above the buttons.

I've been playing Assassin's Creed III which looks really nice, although it has taken a while to get used to using the inventory with the Gamepad but I'll get the hang of it eventually. I've also just bought Trine 2 but haven't had a chance to play it yet.

There's still a lot to explore and a lot of features that I haven't looked at yet but so far I'm loving the Wii U and it could be fast approaching to becoming one of my favourite consoles.

I'm also looking forward to what else we will be seeing in the future. I expect a new Virtual Console that I'm hoping will add Gamecube titles and I think it would be great if DS titles could be downloaded as well, they would work perfectly with the Gamepad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like Nintendo Gamer might have been speculating based on what they read in the Mercury article.

There's a full transcript of the interview here.

http://www.siliconbeat.com/2012/11/16/12262/

I've had a quick scan and I can't see any mention of first party games.

Not that it matters Gonzo, I'm not out to disagree with you. The point is that Wii U consoles ARE sold at a loss, despite what certain posters here will maintain. I'm guessing that quotes direct from the mouth of the boss of Nintendo USA aren't good enough for her.

I am a little too old and wise to just bow down and believe every claim that comes out of nintendo. When companies make statements like this there is often an ulterior motive behind it, in most cases trying to justify something else.
    But dont want to argue about this, if people want to believe it then its there call I certainly dont and anyway its a side issue from them including a larger battery as default.
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,855
    Forum Member
    It's brilliant so far. Call of Duty is running better than it ever did on the PS3- better graphics, less lag and much less random disconnections.
    I've been playing Black Ops 2 since Christmas, but I've also got NSMBU to play which I'm sure will also be brilliant.

I hope Nintendo make Mario Kart Wii U soon. The Mario Kart games are my favourite :D

If you've not picked it up yet, Sonic Racing Transformed is Amazing and a good Mario Kart Interim, (possibly better if you've got a nostalgia for Sega!) I got with my Wii U as part of a bundle and didn't really intend to play it much but me and my flatmates love it, probably the most played game I've got :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a little too old and wise to just bow down and believe every claim that comes out of nintendo. When companies make statements like this there is often an ulterior motive behind it, in most cases trying to justify something else.
    But dont want to argue about this, if people want to believe it then its there call I certainly dont and anyway its a side issue from them including a larger battery as default.

I don't want to argue either.

You're still wrong though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't want to argue either.

You're still wrong though.

Trying to get in the last word dont make your point anymore valid but maybe I just dont get fooled that easy.
    But of course feel free to believe whatever nintendo say I certainly dont believe one iota of it as I have heard this sort of thing so many times before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trying to get in the last word dont make your point anymore valid but maybe I just dont get fooled that easy.
    But of course feel free to believe whatever nintendo say I certainly dont believe one iota of it as I have heard this sort of thing so many times before.

You've heard this kind of thing many times before? Of course you have. Would you care to give examples please, and proof that you were right on those occasions? Or are we just making things up to try and prove a point?

Actually, I think everybody already knows the answer. We've cluttered this thread up enough with you're usual "black is white" debating style, so I'll be stepping aside now.

I'll let you have fun with anybody that's foolish enough to feed you.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iwata said they would be selling at a loss. There is no reason for him to lie to shareholders. In fact telling shareholders they would be selling at a loss isnt exactly the best thing to lie about lol
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also Sony do the same with the PS3 so it's not like it's entirely implausible
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unclekevo wrote: »
    Also Sony do the same with the PS3 so it's not like it's entirely implausible

There is no doubt. It makes no sense for Iwata to tell stockholders that the Wii U is sold at a loss if it really isn't. They would prefer it wasn't and there is nothing for him to gain by saying so.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Wii U is definitely sold at a loss, though it amounts to around £10 per unit as Eurogamer calculated at a rough approximation, but they make it up very quickly with digital sales.

I'm not sure why anyone would doubt that it's sold at a loss when you get a substantial amount of tech for your money.
  • 0lly0lly Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    misawa97 wrote: »
    There is no doubt. It makes no sense for Iwata to tell stockholders that the Wii U is sold at a loss if it really isn't. They would prefer it wasn't and there is nothing for him to gain by saying so.

Nope. It's also illegal and it's likely that he would be sued.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0lly wrote: »
    Nope. It's also illegal and it's likely that he would be sued.

Sued, he'd go to prison

surely it would be fraud he'd be telling people there stock is worth less than it is
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So.. back to first impressions......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Sued, he'd go to prison

surely it would be fraud he'd be telling people there stock is worth less than it is

But you have to consider what he is including in all this, he is more then likey factoring in other external costs and splitting that across the board against the total cost of the actual units, shareholders are not interested in the small detail just the overall gains and losses. There are many one off costs in developing soemthing new, R&D, marketing, advertising, the list goes on and on.
    My comments earlier are that I dont believe the physical cost of each unit to nintendo is more than they are selling it for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you have to consider what he is including in all this, he is more then likey factoring in other external costs and splitting that across the board against the total cost of the actual units, shareholders are not interested in the small detail just the overall gains and losses. There are many one off costs in developing soemthing new, R&D, marketing, advertising, the list goes on and on.
    My comments earlier are that I dont believe the physical cost of each unit to nintendo is more than they are selling it for.

Look, just so you know, there is a fatal flaw in your logic. There's no way you can be correct. Read your statement again carefully, see if you can work it out. :)