Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought that Mr. Porter's advice--"Do I make her happy?" is meant to alert Doc to the fact that marriage is about sharing a world together and thinking of the other person's happiness and not just your own.

His emotional scene in the bathroom stall looked like a restrained DM-style emotional release after completing a delicate operation successfully that saved his wife's life. On any other patient, anyone but Doc might be high-fiving. But when one is personally involved, it would be an incredible relief often accompanied by tears to have been successful.

The operation that was performed is done hundreds of times a day, all over the world. It was delicate but not as delicate as it was made to seem. Martin, himself had done it 7 times before. But, the relief of having finished it successfully on a loved one had to be profound...It seems that his reaction was perhaps one of relief. I found I thought it was something more. Some culmination of all the events of that ridiculous day.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    The operation that was performed is done hundreds of times a day, all over the world. It was delicate but not as delicate as it was made to seem. Martin, himself had done it 7 times before. But, the relief of having finished it successfully on a loved one had to be profound...It seems that his reaction was perhaps one of relief. I found I thought it was something more. Some culmination of all the events of that ridiculous day.

I think you're right that it was more than just relief that the operation had gone well. Sometimes if you have some big emotional breakthrough (which we think he did) you are more vulnerable, or the usual defenses are less solid and a lot of emotion comes through, at least for a while. I think he had held it together for the operation, and then could no longer fight off the overwhelming sadness of having to face his upbringing as well as the possibility of losing Louisa and James. This is a man with all defenses down, no longer hiding from himself. [at least, that's what it looks like to me -- perhaps idiosyncratically)

He has a lot to grieve for, but he can get through it and he will be much free-r.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    I think you're right that it was more than just relief that the operation had gone well. Sometimes if you have some big emotional breakthrough (which we think he did) you are more vulnerable, or the usual defenses are less solid and a lot of emotion comes through, at least for a while. I think he had held it together for the operation, and then could no longer fight off the overwhelming sadness of having to face his upbringing as well as the possibility of losing Louisa and James. This is a man with all defenses down, no longer hiding from himself. [at least, that's what it looks like to me -- perhaps idiosyncratically)

He has a lot to grieve for, but he can get through it and he will be much free-r.

He has had this same sort of teary eyed and emotional response at least twice before, the whole break up followed by the proposal and again when she was about to give birth to JH. It's like all of a sudden the walls crumble and the REAL ME emerges out of the rubble.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

EXACTLY the same as my read of that scene New Park!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He wouldn't have done this but the best thing for him to have done is sit down on that toilet and have a good cry. He had a hell of a day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    It is interesting that in S. 1 "Haemophobia" Martin dashed to a toilet to vomit after seeing the boy with the bloody face. When he left the stall, he also looked into the mirror with a grim, defeated look, probably because of his hemophobia. People are at their most real in the privacy of a bathroom. I wonder if the scene where he grimly acknowledge his hemophobia is related to the new bathroom scene where he will attempt to pull himself out of the phobia and related problems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zarwen wrote: »
    I wish the effect hadn't come across like a personality transplant. :confused::(

I really agree, Zarwen, and with DCdmfan's original post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zarwen wrote: »
    The humor and the romance have been missing for most of these last three seasons, and I am prepared to weather a storm of rotten tomatoes for saying that I think the show is weaker without them. :

Yes, exactly what I have been saying for some time, but you said it better. I think they could have still done the major plot shifts and kept some romance and humor. The show would have been stronger for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Martin: Traditionally, the closing beat of a season is between just the doctor and Louisa. This season, that closing beat is about Louisa's happiness."

This is a quote from a brief interview MC apparently gave for American audiences as APT starts airing S6. As usual, posted by invaluable ConnieJ.

Did he just give us an interpretation of Louisa's last scene? From the horse's mouth....

Hi, NewPark. I didn't read that to mean that MC was saying LGE WAS happy, but that her range of emotions at the end was her thinking about if or whether she could be happy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, NewPark. I didn't read that to mean that MC was saying LGE WAS happy, but that her range of emotions at the end was her thinking about if or whether she could be happy.

After the recent discussion here, I watched the last few minutes again. Somehow, on my chromebook, the display was sharper and I was really struck a) by how haggard and deeply sad DM looked -- in fact, like a man who might have been recently crying, b) that Louisa's "Okay" was less positive than I had had thought -- and c) that the mix of emotions on her face as he left was anything but happy.

Maybe it's just as simple as she knows how miserable he is, and she's in pain for him as well as herself, and she doesn't know if there's a way back to a better place for both of them. But she's stuck there now, at least temporarily, and she has to face up to it.
    Forum Member
    After the recent discussion here, I watched the last few minutes again. Somehow, on my chromebook, the display was sharper and I was really struck a) by how haggard and deeply sad DM looked -- in fact, like a man who might have been recently crying, b) that Louisa's "Okay" was less positive than I had had thought -- and c) that the mix of emotions on her face as he left was anything but happy.

Maybe it's just as simple as she knows how miserable he is, and she's in pain for him as well as herself, and she doesn't know if there's a way back to a better place for both of them. But she's stuck there now, at least temporarily, and she has to face up to it.

Watch the beginning of the episode when Louisa and Martin are standing at the stairs in the surgery reception area before she leaves. The details of her face are very clear. Circles under her eyes, a true sadness in her face and tears in her eyes. The clarity of watching quality video truly brings out some of the details on screen and just adds to the overall dramatic effect. And you're right about his haggard and sad look as well. It was even more pronounced this season than any other. I'm wondering since it is all shot on film, whether or not the actual quality of the film product itself has brought out more extreme details this season. It seems like the colors are richer and the set details more vivid.
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think the difference some of us see in S6 in comparison to previous series is due to the fact that another director, Nigel Cole, came on board? He sees it with a different set of eyes and fresh ideas. This is not to take away from Ben Bolt who did a fabulous job S1 through S5. I notice in this series more closeups (I mean real closeups) of Martin & Louisa, different photography of Portwenn and sharper picture. I thought they used film all along, but maybe not. LindaG of Rockthedoc podcast mentioned they used the Rolls Royce of film, Panasonic r200. I remember years ago Lucille Ball insisted the I Love Lucy series be filmed instead of videotaped, as she wanted the series preserved for future generations. I love to watch some of the really old black and white movies of the 40's and 50's that have been restored--there are so many shades of black, white and grays and the edges are sharp not grainy. Using the best stands up to the test of time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    Do you think the difference some of us see in S6 in comparison to previous series is due to the fact that another director, Nigel Cole, came on board? He sees it with a different set of eyes and fresh ideas. This is not to take away from Ben Bolt who did a fabulous job S1 through S5. I notice in this series more closeups (I mean real closeups) of Martin & Louisa, different photography of Portwenn and sharper picture. I thought they used film all along, but maybe not. LindaG of Rockthedoc podcast mentioned they used the Rolls Royce of film, Panasonic r200. I remember years ago Lucille Ball insisted the I Love Lucy series be filmed instead of videotaped, as she wanted the series preserved for future generations. I love to watch some of the really old black and white movies of the 40's and 50's that have been restored--there are so many shades of black, white and grays and the edges are sharp not grainy. Using the best stands up to the test of time.

I've been doing a rewatch...and I found it was time to watch "On the Edge"...not one of my favorites. If you have the inclination, watch a few minutes of that to see absolutely something different in the filming technique. On the Edge is darker and has a deep and earthy feel to the filming....colors are a little more sumptuous..it's striking. However, it was written by Jack Lothian and directed by Ben Bolt. Series 6...different probably because of Nigel Cole. I asked LindaG but she had no explanation for "On the Edge".
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I've been doing a rewatch...and I found it was time to watch "On the Edge"...not one of my favorites. If you have the inclination, watch a few minutes of that to see absolutely something different in the filming technique. On the Edge is darker and has a deep and earthy feel to the filming....colors are a little more sumptuous..it's striking. However, it was written by Jack Lothian and directed by Ben Bolt. Series 6...different probably because of Nigel Cole. I asked LindaG but she had no explanation for "On the Edge".

I think I heard that a different cinematographer shot On the Edge than the one who usually works with them. Also I think it was filmed in the fall and that could a account for the different look as well.
    Forum Member
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    I think I heard that a different cinematographer shot On the Edge than the one who usually works with them. Also I think it was filmed in the fall and that could a account for the different look as well.

I wish they would shoot a bonus "movie" episode in the wintertime, a good Christmas finale to the final series even though the weather is crap that time of year and I'm sure would present unique production challenges. The story would have to be good, although I wasn't as bothered by "On The Edge" as some of the rest of you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The On The Edge director of photography was Dick Dodd.

The director of cinematography for Erotomania (S2,E8) was Chris Howard. He also shot "The Apple Doesn't Fall" Series 3, S1. Mr. Howard made 21 DM shows from 2004 to 2007.

Appears that Simon Archer is doing the cinematography work for DM since 2008.

I do not see that Mr. Dodd has done any other work on DM since OtE.

Just the facts ma'am.

Rob
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Has anyone heard if there will be a Christmas special for Doc Martin, series 7?
    Forum Member
    DMfan wrote: »
    Has anyone heard if there will be a Christmas special for Doc Martin, series 7?

Only in our wildest dreams, I'm sure! Maybe we should mount a campaign to get them to do one. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still obsessively pondering the quote: "the closing beat is about Louisa's happiness" I wonder if the simplest explanation isn't the best -- that the reporter misunderstood MC, who actually said "unhappiness."
    Forum Member
    Still obsessively pondering the quote: "the closing beat is about Louisa's happiness" I wonder if the simplest explanation isn't the best -- that the reporter misunderstood MC, who actually said "unhappiness."

I'm wondering what it means too. The last scene shows her alone and crying. I don't understand how that can be interpreted as "her happiness". God forbid we've got it all wrong thinking they will be together in S7 and in reality he made the decision after her surgery to walk away and let her go as Aunt Ruth said, making her happy that he will no longer cause her pain because of who he is. BUT, what he said to her while under the pre-med and what he said as he was walking out of the room at the end makes it sound like he's focused on making THEM work.

I think BP has left us dazed and confused on purpose and is just perpetuated in the post-series interviews from MC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzie_cUS wrote: »
    I'm wondering what it means too. The last scene shows her alone and crying. I don't understand how that can be interpreted as "her happiness". God forbid we've got it all wrong thinking they will be together in S7 and in reality he made the decision after her surgery to walk away and let her go as Aunt Ruth said, making her happy that he will no longer cause her pain because of who he is. BUT, what he said to her while under the pre-med and what he said as he was walking out of the room at the end makes it sound like he's focused on making THEM work.

I think BP has left us dazed and confused on purpose and is just perpetuated in the post-series interviews from MC.

The more I think of it, the more I think he said "UNhappiness." MC doesn't really obfuscate when he is interviewed, as recent experience with his pre-airing comments of S6 showed. People wanted to think that he was just trying to confuse us when he said, "because they have a son, they'll always have a relationship, even if they're not together" but he was being quite straightforward. [I took him at his word and was horrified.]

If he is really done with Louisa, then they have an awful lot of plot to fill for 8 episodes, and Louisa chasing him doesn't seem plausible at this point.

But you suggest a very interesting question: what exactly IS Louisa so unhappy about? Presumably it's not b/c she can't now get to Spain, and she was dealing well enough with her decision to leave him before. Yes, probably exhausted, defenses down and all that, but what else has changed? (Especially if we're meant to think that she heard some or all of the pre-op speech.) I wonder if it was SHE who thought that he meant that he was no longer going to pursue her and would leave it up to her whether the relationship continued. If she was insecure enough to believe, before she left, that his feelings for her had changed and that explained his behavior (one theory floating about in DocMartin World) then his agreement that they couldn't go back as they were might substantiate that, in her mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think he would have been trying to get to Spain to follow her if there was even a chance that he was prepared to leave her alone. In fact, telling the agent that he would take ANY flight that got him to a southern Spanish airport tells us that he is serious. This gives him how many hours to get a locum for the next day? To pack? You have to expect that any time Martin Ellingham has travelled in the past, the trip would be planned well in advance within an inch of its life. So now he is just trying to get to southern Spain and will find a way to get to Louisa and James.

There is nothing wishy-washy in this man's intentions and I can't see him changing his mind. In fact, the concern that she might die if he didn't get to her in time probably made it clearer to him how much he needs her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The more I think of it, the more I think he said "UNhappiness." MC doesn't really obfuscate when he is interviewed, as recent experience with his pre-airing comments of S6 showed. People wanted to think that he was just trying to confuse us when he said, "because they have a son, they'll always have a relationship, even if they're not together" but he was being quite straightforward. [I took him at his word and was horrified.]

If he is really done with Louisa, then they have an awful lot of plot to fill for 8 episodes, and Louisa chasing him doesn't seem plausible at this point.

But you suggest a very interesting question: what exactly IS Louisa so unhappy about? Presumably it's not b/c she can't now get to Spain, and she was dealing well enough with her decision to leave him before. Yes, probably exhausted, defenses down and all that, but what else has changed? (Especially if we're meant to think that she heard some or all of the pre-op speech.) I wonder if it was SHE who thought that he meant that he was no longer going to pursue her and would leave it up to her whether the relationship continued. If she was insecure enough to believe, before she left, that his feelings for her had changed and that explained his behavior (one theory floating about in DocMartin World) then his agreement that they couldn't go back as they were might substantiate that, in her mind.

I think he really did mean "happiness" because the way he said it, he isn't telling us whether she is happy of unhappy. That is our cliffhanger and we won't know for 2 years whether she was happy or unhappy in that last shot. I'm not even sure Louisa knows.

So I think when he says, "The closing beat is about Louisa's happiness", it is meant to say that we don't know if she is happy or not - and they're not telling.
    Forum Member
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I think he really did mean "happiness" because the way he said it, he isn't telling us whether she is happy of unhappy. That is our cliffhanger and we won't know for 2 years whether she was happy or unhappy in that last shot. I'm not even sure Louisa knows.

So I think when he says, "The closing beat is about Louisa's happiness", it is meant to say that we don't know if she is happy or not - and they're not telling.

So basically he is using the word happiness in a double context in order to keep things vague? Or perhaps he is using the word happiness demonstrate a larger concept that leads into S7?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So basically he is using the word happiness in a double context in order to keep things vague? Or perhaps he is using the word happiness demonstrate a larger concept that leads into S7?

I've been on so many sides of this that I don't even know what I think any more!

But Shop Girl's comment that Louisa might not even know fits in with her telling Margaret at the airport that she didn't even know what she was doing.

She's caught in a situation that's a real stressor for her, that's for sure.

I wonder if S7 won't be at least as much about Louisa's process and insight, and change, as Martin's -- we've seen him have his emotionally game-changing moment, but not hers.
This discussion has been closed.