Options

Dawn of The Planet of The Apes

Comments

• Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He does actually say
    'Caesar is home' to James Franco's character at the end of the movie in the forest.

It was a joke
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just about to watch it...will share some thoughts later.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Not quite true...
    During the scene where Caesar rallies the other animals inside the compound and prepares to escape, he utters one significant word when he confronts the young keeper, and he even repeats the word many times. Think that happens about two thirds into the movie

Ah yes, of course. That is quite significant, my apologies. (And the incident was directly quoted as part of his recall of Ape history by Cornelius in "Escape from...")
  • Options
    Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just got back from this.

Beautifully shot and the cgi is pretty amazing.

However the first half if the film is excruciatingly dull, I nearly fell asleep and was really bored.

The second half is much better and the action pieces are pretty good.

Overall I wouldn't rush to see this again. We saw it in 3d on,y because it was on,y 3d at the time we could go. I don't think 3d added a single thing to the film at all.
  • Options
    TunnelVision9TunnelVision9 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes on channel 4 at 9pm this Saturday for anyone who wants to see this.
  • Options
    SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Saw this this afternoon and absolutely loved it. CGI is mindblowing and I loved the slow build throughout the film (I wouldn't call it dull like the above poster). I loved the interaction between the apes in the scenes where the humans weren't around and I loved how each of them had their own characteristics. Action sequences in the second half were fantastic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gilesb wrote: »

However the first half if the film is excruciatingly dull, I nearly fell asleep and was really bored.

Overall I wouldn't rush to see this again. We saw it in 3d on,y because it was on,y 3d at the time we could go. I don't think 3d added a single thing to the film at all.

Oh dear...I suspect we will see other similar moronic comments like this one.

The Apes movies are not and never have been action movies - essentially they are dramatic movies with a sci-fi element, and occasional action sequences.

In the first half of the movie you have intense dialogue, you have conflict, you have attacks and fight sequences, gunplay, faceoff's/standoff's, emotive scenes and the necessary furthering of the plot to explain what happened since the last movie.

If all you can do is describe the above as excruciatingly dull, then you really have no business watching these movies and passing comment. You clearly don't understand what these movies are about and they are not for you.

The fact that you were only entertained when the action sequences came on near the end speaks volumes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK...my two penn'orth, for what it's worth...

I really liked it. It is, as mentioned earlier, NOT an action movie, that has never been what this series is about. You will not get massive action sequences and explosions in the first 10 minutes to get your attention.

The film starts off slow and quiet, and fills in the story of what happened since the last movie. It shows how the apes have settled in the forest and how they live and interact with each other, with Caesar as the undisputed leader.

Then things change when a human is discovered in the forest, and the apes are now aware of their presence in the city (having believe them to have all been wiped out).

I liked the parallels between the ape Koba (the scarred ape rescued from the lab in the first movie), and Gary Oldman's ex-military character, both of whom believe they should strike first and wipe out the threat of the apes/humans, whereas Caesar seeks to avoid conflict and a peaceful settlement/truce.

And this uneasy 'truce' is what makes the first half of the film compelling, as there is much tension and intensity during this section, and also the tragic inevitability that this will probably not go according to plan, and things will not end well.

What also strikes you is the time taken to establish the characters of the apes themselves...the CGI and realisation of the creatures is extraordinary, and there are many moments of tender emotion, both between the apes and also apes and humans.

In that respect the film is tonally different to the first movie, but that should not be seen as a negative in my opinion. There are also far less 'cute' moments in this movie, the tone is definitely darker than the first.

The photography and scope of the movie is incredible, from the ruined city of the humans, to the wooden forest dwellings of the apes.

When the final conflict happens it is big and spectacular, but it also focuses on the conflict and tension between the characters as well as big explosions and action scenes...the fight between Caesar and Koba is extraordinary.

The characterisation of the apes in this movie has been expanded much more than the first - the character arc of Koba is particularly impressive. It is a testament to the acting and the writing that as heinous as his actions are, you can still understand the characters motivation and almost sympathise.

The only criticism I would have is that the story is hardly unique, and you pretty much know how it will pan out. But it's still a fascinating and rewarding journey.
  • Options
    Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect you're right.

For example....
    The Apes movies are not and never have been action movies - essentially they are dramatic movies with a sci-fi element, and occasional action sequences.

In the first half of the movie you have intense dialogue, you have conflict, you have attacks and fight sequences, gunplay, faceoff's/standoff's, emotive scenes and the necessary furthering of the plot to explain what happened since the last movie.

If all you can do is describe the above as excruciatingly dull, then you really have no business watching these movies and passing comment. You clearly don't understand what these movies are about and they are not for you.

The fact that you were only entertained when the action sequences came on near the end speaks volumes.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    I suspect you're right.

For example....

Don't be disrespectful. Didn't you know that Ted has a deeper understanding of the filmmaking process than the rest of us mere simpletons? Ted doesn't just watch a film, he becomes the film. He merges with every aspect of it on a spiritual level. The result of this singular miraculous process means that his opinion is the only opinion that truly really matters.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Stunning film - 9/10
  • Options
    blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great movie, amazing CGI - 9/10.
  • Options
    abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to the comments here, I am really looking forward to this. Do you need to have seen the previous films, or is it stand-alone?
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to the comments here, I am really looking forward to this. Do you need to have seen the previous films, or is it stand-alone?

The first film is on Channel 4 Saturday 9pm, so worth seeing it first.
  • Options
    Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh get over yourself, people are entitled to different opinions.

Just to be clear I did not say the film was an action movie, or that I expected it to be. I said the action sequences were good. Nor did I say I was only entertained by the action sequences, I said the second half of the film was good. The first half was, to me, overly slow.

To me the film was dull in the first half, whatever it was trying to present. That is my opinion, which I am entitled to however moronic you believe it to be.

Don't tell me what I should or should not watch or what I do or do not understand.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gilesb wrote: »

I had pretty much the same reaction to the film as you gilesb. Apart from the main action sequence (which was amazing) I found the movie to be quite dull. I think it's mainly because the story lines are very familiar to me and I could have guessed the entire plot from start to finish. I agree that a lot of it is excellent film making though and can completely understand how other people will get a lot out of it.

To give an indication of my preferences, Her was my favourite film of last year, closely followed by Rush and Flight.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had pretty much the same reaction to the film as you gilesb. Apart from the main action sequence (which was amazing) I found the movie to be quite dull. I think it's mainly because the story lines are very familiar to me and I could have guessed the entire plot from start to finish. I agree that a lot of it is excellent film making though and can completely understand how other people will get a lot out of it.

To give an indication of my preferences, Her was my favourite film of last year, closely followed by Rush and Flight.

I thought Flight was rubbish personally, but that was probably just me? was disappointed as it isn't a Denzel classic for me.
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I just saw Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes this morning and I found it to be a great film maybe even better than Rise.I liked the character development and how you spend as much time with the apes as the humans.I was suprised at the lack of screen time for Gary Oldman character which basically was just a cameo role for him!

I don't really understand the negative comments in the thread towards this film but in my screening there were a few people who were complaining constantly about the amount of subtitles and one person sitting behind me who spend the whole film laughing whenever an ape spoke or rode a horse!

This is an intelligent blockbuster and for me one of the best films of the year.I just can't wait to see the third film!

4 out of 5
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this today. Absolutely loved it. The CGI on this was incredible. Yes some might say the story was slow but I didn't really care. I was too busy looking at how amazing it looked. 3D didn't really add much in fact I did wonder if I'd walked into the 2d version. I'm wondering how they'll top this though for the third although if its just as good then that would do me. Anyone know when it will be available on bluray?
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    My guess would be around Christmas time or maybe the start of 2015 as it's usually 6 months or less Untill the Blu Ray release!

I saw the 2D version and I was wondering if the 3D would have made a difference.I agree though that the CGI was amazing especially as you spend most of the film with the apes!
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    My guess would be around Christmas time or maybe the start of 2015 as it's usually 6 months or less Untill the Blu Ray release!

I saw the 2D version and I was wondering if the 3D would have made a difference.I agree though that the CGI was amazing especially as you spend most of the film with the apes!

With regards 3D. For me anyway, it might have just been because I was so engrossed in the film that I wasn't really looking for it maybe when I get the bluray it'll be different.
  • Options
    geosgeos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this today, absolutely incredible for me. Blows "Rise" right out of the water.

As a massive fan of the originals, I loved seeing all the little nods and winks to them. "blue eyes" What Zera originally called Charlton Heston, the scarecrows on the way up to the ape village, the cages for the humans, the subway system (beneath the planet of the apes) and the chase scene at the very start, the "ape dont kill ape" phrase as well.

I cant wait to see what they do with film 3.
  • Options
    D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As much as I agree that the whole first act is brilliantly paced and leads to the exciting second act - do you have to say so in such an idiotic snobbish manner? If the poster found it dull, they found it dull.

It is their business to watch whatever the hell they want and have an opinion on it, just like you quite clearly have yours.
  • Options
    Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although some people may find the first half a little slow, it is completely necessary in order to establish the dynamics between the characters on both sides (apes and humans). Without this, the second half would be completely pointless as the audience would have no idea which ape to support and wouldn't understand the motivations behind each character. Then we'd have another Transformers on our hands...
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caesar's baby was adorable.
    Looks like a formulaic Them and Us tale with little depth or heart but plenty of special effects.

Who is the Them and who is the Us, then? There are good apes, bad humans, bad apes, and good humans.