Options

Starbucks, and how to avoid the tax dodging businesses

Justin AerialJustin Aerial Posts: 5,710
Forum Member
It really annoys me when I read about businesses making money in the UK but not paying tax here, like Starbucks did. It`s a toss up which annoys me more, them or rich comedians trying to get out of paying tax....
So my question is, how do we get back at these people ? After all, even if some deluded souls make excuses for them, the fact remains that every pound they save is another pound we all have to pay.

First objective question, is there a website listing tax companies who go to extreme immoral (as far as I`m concerned) lengths to get out of paying UK tax. And, preferably, does the website have objective figures as to how much tax the listed companies actually pay as against what similar companies pay. As an example, in the case of Starbucks the BBC compared Costa Coffee`s turnover and the amount of corporation tax it paid with Starbucks.

Interesting, and surprising, sidelight, apparently Costa hasn`t seen any increase in trade (against Starbucks) since these corporation tax revelations. I shan`t use Starbucks if I can help it, but am I the only one....

Comments

• Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    After all, even if some deluded souls make excuses for them, the fact remains that every pound they save is another pound we all have to pay.

This deluded soul is going to suggest that where any company reduces their liability within the rules, which they don't write, then that tax was never due, and thus never lost by HMRC.
  • Options
    omeletpercyomeletpercy Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Don't go in.

Simple.

You can also get much much much better coffee from independents and a proper cafeteria.
  • Options
    ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    If you want to avoid tax-avoiding companies - don't use any company. All will be using their accountants to minimise their tax liabilities.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting, and surprising, sidelight, apparently Costa hasn`t seen any increase in trade (against Starbucks) since these corporation tax revelations. I shan`t use Starbucks if I can help it, but am I the only one....

I don't think people are generally in the habit of doing back-of-the-envelope tax calculations and/or finding websites that list the amount of tax they did payand should have paid when they want some coffee, they just go and buy some coffee.
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theirs this amazing new invention that means you can have hot coffee anytime throughout the day made from quality coffee beans without using Starbucks.Its called a flask.:cool:
  • Options
    R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    Theirs this amazing new invention that means you can have hot coffee anytime throughout the day made from quality coffee beans without using Starbucks.Its called a flask.:cool:

You also get a lot more coffee for less money too. :D
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Starbucks had paid £8.6m of corporation tax on sales of more than £3bn since 1998"
    That's funny, I thought you paid tax on profits not turnover (having taken account of any losses brought forward to offset against any tax liability). Or has the law changed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    "Starbucks had paid £8.6m of corporation tax on sales of more than £3bn since 1998"
    That's funny, I thought you paid tax on profits not turnover (having taken account of any losses brought forward to offset against any tax liability). Or has the law changed?

I'm guessing they rarely made a profit then...
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R410 wrote: »
    You also get a lot more coffee for less money too. :D

I guess so but i haven't been in Starbucks in about 5 years so i don't know how much they charge.I pay 20 to 42p per mug.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As an example, in the case of Starbucks the BBC compared Costa Coffee`s turnover and the amount of corporation tax it paid with Starbucks.

I'm not sure that's all that meaningful a comparison, given that Costa is part of the much larger Whitbread group, whereas, practically speaking, all that Starbucks does in the UK is their coffee shops.

Incidentally, has anyone checked in what country Whitbread pay the tax on their overseas earnings? If we think it's a bad thing for companies not to pay tax locally then we can't have it both ways. (ETA Whitbread claim in that Guardian article that "we make losses overseas", which might be as convincing as Starbucks claiming that they only break even in the UK)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy a flask
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing they rarely made a profit then...
    So why doesn't the article use a profit figure? Is the profit margin that big though? I'm sure they took advantage of the tax rules to the maximum effect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So why doesn't the article use a profit figure? Is the profit margin that big though? I'm sure they took advantage of the tax rules to the maximum effect.

Well in order to pay that amount of tax they'd need to be either making massive losses in order to offset future profits, or hardly making a profit at all. If you're not making a profit off of however many billions of turnover then you're not a viable business.
  • Options
    flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may find that most of these US companies (head office) do the same and avoid if they can paying any tax at all.(ie mainly franchise companies like mc donalds burger king,etc etc),
    Thats why they have accountants being payed millions of pounds to aviod paying anything..
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I suppose we could boycott them.............but presumably they'd then pay even less tax
  • Options
    Justin AerialJustin Aerial Posts: 5,710
    Forum Member
    treme wrote: »
    This deluded soul is going to suggest that where any company reduces their liability within the rules, which they don't write, then that tax was never due, and thus never lost by HMRC.

When I used the term "deluded" I was referring to people who, for some reason, seem to think it`s almost laudable to avoid paying tax. They`re deluded because they`re mixing up two entirely separate arguments, i.e. how much tax we all pay v who pays it, and, specifically, those who get out of paying it either by employing (expensive) tax "experts", or, just as bad, paying tradesmen cash in hand. I can remember reading the comments left after the Daily Telegraph story on David Gauke`s comments, I was absolutely seething that these people could come out with such absolute bxxxxxxs and nobody seemed to be pointing it out to them. Not that they`d accept it anyway because, like car drivers when their bad driving is pointed out to them, they`re deluded.

As an interesting footnote, I`m not actually a Tory but sent Gauke a supportive E mail. I`ve yet to receive a response from him 7 weeks later, which doesn`t show him in a very good light I have to say.

On a broader point, if there are two companies offering pretty well the same service, but one`s paying corporation tax in this country and one is using some loophole to avoid it, thus meaning I personally have to pay more tax, I know where I want to spend my money. I`m just surprised everyone else doesn`t feel the same way.
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not boycotting them. The red cups are back in three days.
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    When I used the term "deluded" I was referring to people who, for some reason, seem to think it`s almost laudable to avoid paying tax.

You must be paying more tax for me then, because I structure my Ltd Company in order to avoid the higher tax brackets. My accountant isn't an expensive tax "expert", but he saves me between £8,000 and £10,000 annually against the equivalent PAYE.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ............. If you're not making a profit off of however many billions of turnover then you're not a viable business.

You are if you're a multi-national. Internal divisions charge each other at different rates, so you make your profilts in countries with low tax rates, and your losses in the high tax ones.

For example, suppose X US supplied X UK and X Monaco with their raw materials. X US would charge X UK £5 a unit, and X Monaco £1 a unit.

Having added 50p expenses, both X UK and X Monaco sell the unit for £5.50. X UK breaks even - no tax; X Monaco makes a profit of £4 per unit, and pay a small amount of tax.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well in order to pay that amount of tax they'd need to be either making massive losses in order to offset future profits, or hardly making a profit at all. If you're not making a profit off of however many billions of turnover then you're not a viable business.
    I wasn't suggesting that they made no profit. They may not make that much - Tesco show 3.7M from 72M sales a margin of 5.79% for 11/12. Also the return on capital employed may be more important than the return on revenue.
    No doubt they do take advantage of any tax laws to minimise tax.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who cares if they have found a legal way round it, well done to them. Boycotting companies for petty reasons like this is just :rolleyes:
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    It really annoys me when I read about businesses making money in the UK but not paying tax here, like Starbucks did. It`s a toss up which annoys me more, them or rich comedians trying to get out of paying tax....
    So my question is, how do we get back at these people ? After all, even if some deluded souls make excuses for them, the fact remains that every pound they save is another pound we all have to pay.

First objective question, is there a website listing tax companies who go to extreme immoral (as far as I`m concerned) lengths to get out of paying UK tax. And, preferably, does the website have objective figures as to how much tax the listed companies actually pay as against what similar companies pay. As an example, in the case of Starbucks the BBC compared Costa Coffee`s turnover and the amount of corporation tax it paid with Starbucks.

Starbucks didn't make any money in the UK. That's the whole point.
  • Options
    Forum Member

That is correct. Their sales are irrelevant.
  • Options
    Forum Member

It's not illegal to make only small profits though is it?
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're not making a profit off of however many billions of turnover then you're not a viable business.

They must be making some profit - since they have paid some corporation tax.

Also - for a business to be viable - it only really needs to break even.

Even a company that does not pay corporation tax because it doesn't make a profit - will still contribute to the tax pot in other ways (VAT, NI, Employee PAYE etc)