Ball-boys, whats the point?

codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
Forum Member
✭✭
With pitches that are surrounded by hoardings, and stands - usually no more than 3m from the pitch, i have to ask myself what is the point of "ball-boys" anyway?

Glenn Hoddle has been in the media admitting that they play a part in home advantage. They are told when to give the ball back quickly and when to time waste by the management of the home club.

He is basically saying its a fact what we all believed anyway. I'm sure most teams do it, including CFC and everyone in the prem. Even the crowd do it at times? When the ball is in row z they hold on to it, slowing the play down or wasting time. Sometimes they have to get a new ball!

But this incident has highlighted the extent to which the officials at a club will go to, to basically cheat (and it is a form of cheating). We have ball boys tweeting that they will deliberately cheat, and they have been brought in just to do exactly that.

They do not speed up or help the game in any way, in fact they deliberately slow it down. Is it time that they were got rid of?

Comments

• Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    Balls boys are useful for something to kick when you're frustrated....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Until last night, I never even knew they had ball boys in football! Never noticed them before, but I do know that we will all be looking at them now, and judging their every move.......
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The majority are fine, they're actual kids who are delighted to get involved (and basically watch the game for free) and just get the ball back into play with minimum fuss or delay. I think they shouldn't allow ballboys older than 12, it's the teen years that turns kids into dicks that do this kind of thing.

I noticed at our home games a few years back we switched from each ballboy having a ball handy so play would get cracking quickly, to just using one ball so they'd have to go fetch it. With us it's more a penny-pinching exercise than gamesmanship, as it's not too often we're holding a lead we need to waste time for...
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    The majority are fine, they're actual kids who are delighted to get involved (and basically watch the game for free) and just get the ball back into play with minimum fuss or delay. I think they shouldn't allow ballboys older than 12, it's the teen years that turns kids into dicks that do this kind of thing.

Fair enough, it would be a shame if this one idiot ruins what would be great experiences for young children.
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Fair enough, it would be a shame if this one idiot ruins what would be great experiences for young children.
    Why would he, there isnt going to be an end to ball boys, if the ball is kicked out of touch down the line to an area where there are no players are you going to be fine waiting for a player to go fetch it ? Especially if its late in the game and that team are winning, I wouldnt be happy waiting a couple of minutes waiting for the game to start up again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the chimp wrote: »
    Why would he, there isnt going to be an end to ball boys, if the ball is kicked out of touch down the line to an area where there are no players are you going to be fine waiting for a player to go fetch it ? Especially if its late in the game and that team are winning, I wouldnt be happy waiting a couple of minutes waiting for the game to start up again.

How big are the pitches in the games you watch?

:rolleyes:

In todays game, there is simply no need for them - they hinder the game and actually waste more time than not having them!
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as I know it was Chelsea who was the first team to use them, Our first goalkeeper was quite large (his nickname was Fatty Faulkes) and would not go get the ball if it went out of play etc.

Dont really see the point of them nowadays if i honest, But changing anything in football nowadays is just about impossible.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You mean Hazard I presume.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You mean Hazard I presume.

No, i mean the ball person to tweeted before the game that, given the chance, he would perform the actions that he did, to get the result that he did.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Footballers are far too precious to retrieve the balls themselves. They need servants to do it.
  • LamparillaLamparilla Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed at our home games a few years back we switched from each ballboy having a ball handy so play would get cracking quickly, to just using one ball so they'd have to go fetch it. With us it's more a penny-pinching exercise than gamesmanship, as it's not too often we're holding a lead we need to waste time for...

I used to watch Burnley on a regular basis, and if they were leading with a few minutes to go, they would do the same thing - withdraw the 'multi-ball' system where the ball boys each have a ball which they throw onto the pitch before retreiving the match ball, and instead just wait for the crowd to throw the match ball back, thus wasting time. Of course, if they were losing, they kept with the multi-ball and threw a ball back on the pitch pronto!
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In todays game, there is simply no need for them - they hinder the game and actually waste more time than not having them!
    Enlighten us - what's changed to mean there's "simply no need for them"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my early Highfield Road days we used to sometimes sneak out to where the ballboys are and just sit watching the game, nobody batted an eyelid. Of course, in them days you could get a steak dinner and watch the latest Chaplin motion picture for a nickel and still have change for a zeppelin ride home.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    Enlighten us - what's changed to mean there's "simply no need for them"?

What is the need for them?

They was bought into football quite by accident and have stuck around for no other reason then football has this mindset of "oh we can not change this or that or the whole world of football comes to a end".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    To retrieve the ball.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How big are the pitches in the games you watch?

:rolleyes:

what are you talking about,take ball boys away and you can add 10 mins per game, will deystroy flow of a game too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They was bought into football quite by accident and have stuck around for no other reason then football has this mindset of "oh we can not change this or that or the whole world of football comes to a end".

Most just get on with it and are useful, particularly in grounds where you have plenty of empty seats for a wayward shot to get lost in. Plus it gets little kids involved which is nice. It should just be kids though, not obnoxious 17-year olds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To retrieve the ball.

And if they was not there? Make a hugh difference to the game? Nope not at all, Its just another part of a game that refuses to change
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And if they was not there? Make a hugh difference to the game? Nope not at all, Its just another part of a game that refuses to change
    Spoken like someone who doesn't think football exists out of the top tier.

Not all grounds have the luxury of full stands and non-stop advertising boards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most just get on with it and are useful, particularly in grounds where you have plenty of empty seats for a wayward shot to get lost in. Plus it gets little kids involved which is nice. It should just be kids though, not obnoxious 17-year olds.

In a world where everything is black and white i would agree, but this is a game where something that is "useful" but not really that important and needed has been changed to give one team a advantage,

I have heard of clubs not putting ball boys in the other sides half to help the home team and now this. Ball boys timewasting/breaking up play is a tactic used by the manager just as much as moving a guy a extra guy in defence etc, Now if football was policed in the right way and punishments was handed out for this sort of thing I would agree with having them but sadly Football is unable (or refuses) to do it.

"All clubs do it" and "its always been that way" is not a reason or a excuse
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, i mean the ball person to tweeted before the game that, given the chance, he would perform the actions that he did, to get the result that he did.

The result was a win for Swansea, because Chelsea were not good enough to win.

Officials can add time for time wasting. Players cannot kick ball boys.

I take it Chelsea ball boys have never wasted time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spoken like someone who doesn't think football exists out of the top tier.

Not all grounds have the luxury of full stands and non-stop advertising boards.

Not at all, But teams do use them as part of their tactics and that should not be allowed in sports. They should be a good idea but football is unable to govern itself in a proper and responsible way,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But its not only about timewasting, Its about breaking up play, Allowing players to get back and defend, No players should not be allowed to kick ball boys, but also someone who is not part of the game should not be able to have a say in how long a game is played or when throw in's etc are taken
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But its not only about timewasting, Its about breaking up play, Allowing players to get back and defend...
    Think about that for a second...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Correct CFC did not deserve to win, as i have posted before.

No players can kick officials from the other team, luckily in this case no player kicked an official from the other team, he kicked a ball.

See my first post, where i CLEARLY state that CFC have used this tactic themselves.

There is no need for ball boys in the premier league. They are used tactically and cynically.

Everyone was moaning yesterday that the "kid" was a "minor" etc, but from what i gather most ball persons are very young.

What sort of game basically bribes young kids to cheat to give their team an advantage?

Pretty sickening really.