Options

Twin toddlers drown in rainwater, still holding hands :(

d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
Forum Member
I'm not usually one for starting threads or melodrama but I've just come across this and it's made me cry.

twin two-year-old girls found drowned in rain water - still holding hands

I don't even think anyone is necessarily to blame for it, tragedy is sometimes such an inadequate word. :cry:

Comments

• Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christ. The grandmother must be inconsolable.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How terribly devastating. I can't think of anything to say that is at all adequate :cry:
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    very sad
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Aww, that's sad. :(
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    How awful. Hard to find the right words to say really.
  • Options
    VioletSummersVioletSummers Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh god, how awful. I teared up reading that. A true tragedy.
  • Options
    Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heartbreaking :(
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No words
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Read this earlier, how on earth did they not only get out of the house on their own but all the way to the neighbours garden?
    Poor little things, so tragic but ultimately avoidable.
  • Options
    Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Devastatingly sad.

Their poor, poor family. :(
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Absolutely heartbreaking :(
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very sad. Again, not sure what there is to discuss.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    You're right, there isn't really but it shows you can never be too careful with open doors when indoors with toddlers, anyone can nod off for 10 minutes. It just made me think of my twins and what could potentially have happened to them once or twice in their younger days. Stair gates all round I suppose but I'm not blaming anyone, there but for the grace of god... and all that.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolute tragedy.

I think the grandmother should be charged with gross negligence.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    Absolute tragedy.

Because see probably isn't beating herself up enough.
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My own wee girl is two. How tragic :( I don't get how they were left to their own devices like that though, sorry.. I have some VERY long days sometimes.. but falling asleep with a child that age is not an option.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I see the blame game has started already.

I am absolutely sure probably every parent has had their child disappear from their view for a short time, yet this time for this family it has ended in tragedy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because see probably isn't beating herself up enough.

She was asked to keep an eye on the children while the mother went shopping.

She went into another room and fell asleep, having left a door open for the kids to get out.

She should feel awful, her abject neglect and choice to do the exact opposite of what was asked of her is why these two young children are both dead. Had she did as she was asked, this could have been avoided.

It's actually quite sad the oldest member of the family who apparently raised her own daughter successfully chose to be the most selfish and immature by not doing what she was told, costing the lives of the youngest members of the family who apparently always looked out for each other. That's some serious tragic irony.
  • Options
    christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How awful. :(
  • Options
    Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »

For goodness sake.
  • Options
    cat's whiskascat's whiskas Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She went into another room and fell asleep, having left a door open for the kids to get out.

She should feel awful, her abject neglect and choice to do the exact opposite of what was asked of her is why these two young children are both dead. Had she did as she was asked, this could have been avoided.

It's actually quite sad the oldest member of the family who apparently raised her own daughter successfully chose to be the most selfish and immature by not doing what she was told, costing the lives of the youngest members of the family who apparently always looked out for each other. That's some serious tragic irony.

You should feel awful, blaming the poor grandmother. She probably just sat down for a minute and nodded off. That's what older people do. But you are only in your twenties, you wouldn't have a clue.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well here's hoping NOTHING like this EVER happens to you.

There is no blame here just pure tragedy for ALL concerned.

R. I. P. LITTLE ONES - SLEEP TIGHT.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well here's hoping NOTHING like this EVER happens to you.

There is no blame here just pure tragedy for ALL concerned.

R. I. P. LITTLE ONES - SLEEP TIGHT.

Well seeing as how my grandmother didn't neglect me while I was in her care and I know better than to let children remain unsupervised, I don't think that is likely.

She fell asleep on the job and now two children are dead because their mother thought her own mother would be more responsible. Sadly she was wrong.

I also have to roll my eyes at the subtle digs suggesting I might suffer similar misfortune or should for having a view a grandmother should have the capabilities to keep an eye on two children for a couple of hours. Yes, because I am the bad person here falling asleep and leaving two children unsupervised, right?

No, sorry. Not going to work. She was asked to do something for the sake of her grandchildren by their mother, her own daughter, and she went in the other room and had a kip instead.

She should feel awful, why should I? Pointing out when people fail and the the damage they can do is not evil, it's just. Should judges apologise to criminals for sending them to jail because "I know you probably didn't intend to get caught doing something wrong, but you have been so now sadly we have to punish you, sorry about that."? Pointing out wrong doing does not make you wrong nor should it warrant a similar misfortune somehow being meted out to me unless you're seriously arguing in her favour.

"The poor old lady needed a rest, how can she be expected to take care of two toddlers? Their mother should have known better than to ask a grown woman who had raised her to take care of her own grandchildren for two hours rather than leave the back door unlocked and fall asleep." If you're seriously going to argue that, then I question your understanding of the ideas of doing what you are told, guardianship, common sense, personal responsibility and assigned responsibility over minors. This would be like arguing the parents of the children abused at that playgroup in Plymouth are to blame for letting their kids be left in the care of those monsters. Adults expect other adults, particularly those with greater experience with children, to take good care of them, not neglect or abuse them.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The response to my statement shows what is wrong with people today, a tragedy happens and rather than punish the person responsible you think it's ok that she failed so severely in her duties that two toddlers died, that the guilt is enough. It's not enough, if she hadn't have gone to fall asleep the kids would still be alive.
    Whether she meant to or not, her actions led to her grandchildren losing their lives unnecessarily and she should be punished for it regardless of how she feels.

At least there is one other person not blinded to the truth.
  • Options
    Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    So sad. :(