Amazon Prime...

Hopefully someone can help. is it worth paying for Amazon Prime?, deliveries, online video,s etc?...cheers, any help would be much appreciated x

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    back soon, any advice would be great, cheers peeps x
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Look at how many orders you've placed with Amazon over the last year. Are you going to place roughly the same amount this year? Now add up the delivery charges and see if it comes to more than a Prime subscription.

Whether the instant streaming sub is worth anything on top of that depends on whether they have stuff you want to watch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    I'd say it's worth it. When you consider that next day delivery is usually £3-5.

Personally, I make perhaps 3-4 orders a week. We get everything from food (not fresh stuff, obviously) to reptile supplies to clothes to books from them. It's nice not having to plan orders and just order what we want at will.

Also, the HD streaming on prime is nice. They have a fairly good selection of stuff.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just take the free 30 day trial and see if it's for you, if it is then continue to subscribe, if not then cancel.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are offering me another trial, that's the third. :o

I bought more goods off them during the trial than I normally would, I imagine even if people cancel they make some extra money. Have to check the prices though, Amazon ones tend to be higher than their marketplace sellers and other Internet shops.
    Forum Member
    many thanks for all your info...cheers, will add the delivery charges up and see end result...ty all
  • Ben_FisherBen_Fisher Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im running the half price student one.

Already had my useage, 18 items ordered next day in the last 2 months.

I wont use the video app until I can use it on my TV, chromecast or Nexus 7.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I took the free 30 day trial back in December.The next day delivery seemed to work well so i paid the £49 which was the price for prime membership at the time back in January.At £49 i will get my money's worth for the next day delivery.At this stage i doubt i'll renew my membership in January for the £79 price.

As for their video streaming service,i've hardly used it.In saying that i'm using it just now to watch the BBC series Hustle but that's only because Netflix no longer have it.
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im currently on the 30 day free trail and watched the Deer Hunter the other night on the ps3 quality was very nice a lot better than what it was when i done a lovefilm trial.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    dazb wrote: »
    Im currently on the 30 day free trail and watched the Deer Hunter the other night on the ps3 quality was very nice a lot better than what it was when i done a lovefilm trial.

Streaming did seem to improve quite a lot after the move to Prime. Well, after the initial teething problems anyway.
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy a lot of stuff online from Amazon and I now also use their video streaming so it's a very worthwhile package for me at £49 per year. Of course, it's quite a jump to £79 so I'll have to think about that, but given the high cost of postage, I imagine I will continue to subscribe.

I was thinking of dropping my Lovefilm disc rental subscription but Amazon Prime streaming doesn't have a great selection of the most up-to-date releases that is covered by the subscription charge. Besides I can get blu rays on Lovefilm: I watched Avatar in 3D tonight and it was brilliant

OP: definitely give the month's trial a go and see what you think
    Forum Member
    Started the 30 day trial yesterday, so will see how it goes...cheers ev1 x :)
  • pgnlpgnl Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Also, the HD streaming on prime is nice.

I have to say I disagree, Netflix (On WDTV Live, Roku 2XS or my Samsung TV) is always fantastic (I am lucky to have a VM 100 Mb/s connection), Amazon HD Prime streaming on my Samsung TV is like Netflix standard definition. I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with it and if it wasn't for the £49 pm offer I took up a month or so ago and their brilliant delivery service, I'd think twice.

Patrick
    N Worcs
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    pgnl wrote: »
    I have to say I disagree, Netflix (On WDTV Live, Roku 2XS or my Samsung TV) is always fantastic (I am lucky to have a VM 100 Mb/s connection), Amazon HD Prime streaming on my Samsung TV is like Netflix standard definition. I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with it and if it wasn't for the £49 pm offer I took up a month or so ago and their brilliant delivery service, I'd think twice.

Patrick
    N Worcs

I havent subscribed to the Amazon/Lovefilm streaming service but was able to watch for free the first episodes of a couple of shows (Pirates & Alpha House) on my Samsung Smart TV. I wasnt expecting the picture quality to be as good as netflix but Pirates in particular was very impressive. It states it is streaming in 1080p and to my eyes looked the equal of netflix, and possibly even a tad sharper.
    Forum Member
    don,t think I will keep it after 30 day trial, really not going to use it enough unfortunately....shame really, as quite like next day delivery...ah well, back to waiting for things to arrive in a few days lol, cheers ev1 x
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen the trailer for a new show extant coming on prime. I have got a quite a few things from amazon in the past. with me now working i have to get things on next day delivery usually for sat and if that is free with prime then that would suit me. Is it just annually or can it be monthly? also can i watch them on my smart tv?
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I forgot the membership auto renews. I found out I could cancel my membership and I got a refund of £72.68.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found out they do offer monthly payments of 6.99 but that won't include free next day delivery.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I order several items a week from Amazon so Prime is worth it for me just to get the next day delivery.

I haven't watched much on Amazon Prime TV as I prefer Netflix and their lack of Android support is annoying - though apparently that is getting fixed soon.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are happy to wait several days, post is nearly always free (over £10). I use Amazon a lot but rarely need something next day.
  • bh21bh21 Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    I think its quite good value . I got it when it was £49 . had loads delivered next day so easily got my money back . I also had one delivery come two days late . complained as it was supposed to be here for someone's birthday but fairplay to amazon . apologized right away on phone any gave me an extra month free
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Also noting, Amazon now do Sunday delivery.

We buy everything from Amazon, so easy get our moneys worth. The streaming is a bonus.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jroadley wrote: »
    Also noting, Amazon now do Sunday delivery.

We buy everything from Amazon, so easy get our moneys worth. The streaming is a bonus.

Pity they treat their staff like crap though.
  • darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    I signed up to the Prime instant video and I'm really impressed. I've been watching Deadwood, The Shield, Californication and Suits - all programmes I've never seen so I'm chuffed. Then if I want Netflix I login to my dad's account or his sky go extra account - win win.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I signed up to the Prime instant video and I'm really impressed. I've been watching Deadwood, The Shield, Californication and Suits - all programmes I've never seen so I'm chuffed. Then if I want Netflix I login to my dad's account or his sky go extra account - win win.

You just need Wuaki now for the full set haha :p
    I use Netflix and Hulplus and Nowtv for my tv nowadays, i don't bother with live tv anymore.