Options

How does British TV compare to American TV?

Comments

• Options
    StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    it call comes down to different tastes

for e.g

you rubbish dawsons creek but imo it is 100000000000000x the show that hollyoaks is(one i kno you like from your post history)

thats just an example,not looking to rubbish your tastes,just making a point

i know people who hardly watch US tv at all and some who only watch it,either way we have best of both worlds here with great imports and good homegrown tv when it is made

im a US tv fan but some uk shows i do like are:

skins-cant imagine US version even coming close
    being human-brilliant british sci-fi show unlike dr who!
    the office-dont find american version funny at all no matter what the critics say
    hustle

overall i guess im trying to say im more than happy with my Sky Plus and the programmes on it!

Er ok, tbh that's a bit weird that you done that. I will forgive you because you are a Whedon fan. I am also a UStv fan Buffy being the main one and Angel of course.

I used to watch Dawson's Creek religiously, I have the dvds and no it isn't. As you said it's a matter of taste so why do you see fit to state the fact that one is better than the other, that's kinda contradictory.

You remember the scene when they're all sat around a fire discussing smells as a scent memory? Tell me that doesn't make you want to projectile vomit.

I have seen every episode of Dawson and watched HO since it started, I think I can say with some certainty which one is more sentimental thank you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    It is true that a lot of BBC-made shows have American co-production money involved, but The Tudors is a Canadian-Irish co-production that the BBC buys in as an import.

Doesn't Showtime(USA) have something to do with The Tudors?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    As I sort-of said before, America produces lots of rubbish shows (and lots of rubbish reality TV). We tend to only import the best stuff, so we don't see all their rubbish. It's a sampling bias. It's not fair to compare our typical with their best.

I see this stated a lot.

Can you list some of theses rubbish shows that aren't imported?

I can't seem to find theses elusive shows.
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    Takkiya wrote: »
    I see this stated a lot.

Well nobody has (yet) bought the worst new shows of the year - Outsourced, Shit My Dad Says, The Marriage Ref - and there are a shit ton of awful reality shows that never make it over here (as hard as that may be to believe, looking at the schedules).
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see this stated a lot.

I said this too, and the only response was a show based in SeaWorld from 1996. I'm finding it hard to find programs not sold overseas, even the "Real Housewives" is overseas now. There are things I personally find trashy and not even worth watching like Dog stupid bounty and his stupid bitchy wife but you've already got Dog in the UK.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Here's a YouTube compilation of the type of cheap, tacky local car dealership TV ads that can STILL be seen on American channels

Our local car ads (for the most part) aren't that cheesy. However, there's this guy who runs an appliance store in town who makes the cheeziest, low-budget commercials:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp4dr_qWLMw
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's a YouTube compilation of the type of cheap, tacky local car dealership TV ads that can STILL be seen on American channels (at least the local channels that I can see in Vancouver, Canada, which are mostly out of Washington state). Sure, these are old, but the newer ones aren't much better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06WmhkeR0os&feature=fvw

I remember seeing Jim Varney doing local adverts, as "Ernest P. Worrell", whilst there. He then went on to make films as the same character.

Advert:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5PSw9JQjPA

Film trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtTzAlvXjLM
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Doesn't Showtime(USA) have something to do with The Tudors?

Showtime was always the first channel in the world to show every season of The Tudors. I am not sure if that means they specifically "commissioned" the series to be made by the non-American parties involved in the production (which would be strange, having no American involvement in the actual making of an American-financed show), or, possibly, the series was a true "independent" production and then sold to every country, with Showtime simply being the American buyer. That is how Pillars Of The Earth was made. No commissioning broadcaster. German and Canadian companies teamed up and made the thing and only then did they bother lining up buyers in every country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I said this too, and the only response was a show based in SeaWorld from 1996. I'm finding it hard to find programs not sold overseas, even the "Real Housewives" is overseas now.
    Look at the post directly above yours, in which I mentioned some.

As far as I'm aware, none of the below air on British TV:

The Amazing Race
    Hardcore Pawn
    Man v Food
    My Strange Addiction
    Millionaire Matchmaker
    Undercovers
    Police Women of Dallas
    Intervention
    Gravity
    Americas Cutest Dog
    Sarah Palin's Alaska
    American Pickers
    Dog Whisperer
    Hoarders
    Blue Mountain State
    The League
    Hackers: Outlaws and Angels
    Rita Rocks
    Army Wives
    Glory Daze

I don't think anyone airs the US soaps either (The Bold And The Beautiful, The Young And The Restless, As The World Turns etc.)

Now I don't know how good any of those shows are because I've never seen them, but I can't imagine Sarah Palin's Alaska is up there with The Wire.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The Amazing Race
    Hardcore Pawn
    Man v Food
    My Strange Addiction
    Millionaire Matchmaker
    Undercovers
    Police Women of Dallas
    Intervention
    Gravity
    Americas Cutest Dog
    Sarah Palin's Alaska
    American Pickers
    Dog Whisperer
    Hoarders
    Blue Mountain State
    The League
    Rita Rocks
    Army Wives
    Glory Daze

I don't think anyone airs the US soaps either (The Bold And The Beautiful, The Young And The Restless, As The World Turns etc.)

Now I don't know how good any of those shows are because I've never seen them, but I can't imagine Sarah Palin's Alaska is up there with The Wire.

Parks And Recreation hasn't aired in the UK, and I can certainly vouch that that is a great comedy series.

By the way, Ghost World, I believe you wrote something a while ago about expecting more Newsroom for the holidays. Did Father Christmas come through?:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    By the way, Ghost World, I believe you wrote something a while ago about expecting more Newsroom for the holidays. Did Father Christmas come through?:)
    No he didn't. I did tell him he'd have to get them Region 1 off Amazon, but I think that was a bit complicated for him.

He did bring me seasons 1 and 2 of The Larry Sanders Show though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He did bring me seasons 1 and 2 of The Larry Sanders Show though.

Have you seen The Larry Sanders Show before? The complete series box set recently came out in Region 1.
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look at the post directly above yours, in which I mentioned some....Now I don't know how good any of those shows are because I've never seen them, but I can't imagine Sarah Palin's Alaska is up there with The Wire.

Wow that's quite a list, some of them have been like one-off shows, some of them are already broadcast in the UK on the likes of the Living Channel, and on MTV, but yeah there are a few shows made over here that aren't broadcast in the UK, I'll say yet, haha.

Millionaire Matchmaker which I gotta say is one of my guilty pleasures along with Million Dollar Listing, grab a pint of Ben & Jerry's and a blanket and watch these people go absolutely nuts. Pretty good.

Sarah Palin's Alaska is actually pretty good, it's made by the guy who invented Survivor, and is on par with Kate + 8 for production quality. The more I watch it the less I think Sarah Palin is as dumb as CBS portrayed her, she's actually winning my favor with this show.

The soaps are crap, they haven't been performing as well as they have been historically, Guiding Light was the longest running show and they axed it, As the World Turns is gone. The remaining ones like Young & The Restless, and Bold and the Beautiful are widely distributed even throughout France, and Germany. I don't know why, the storylines are dumb, but apparently people are watching it.

But, I'll concede to your point there are a handful of US shows that aren't on in the UK, however it is rare very rare to find a show that's not distributed to some other foreign nation.
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    ^^ Must admit, we love The Amazing Race. I think it's just about the only reality television show that either myself or the wife have any time for. A shame that it's not shown over here, considering some of the guff we do air.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have you seen The Larry Sanders Show before? The complete series box set recently came out in Region 1.
    Only the odd episode here and there. I think I caught it on TV a few times, but this was years ago. I'd never heard of it, but given that my surname is Sanders I guess it caught my eye. I remember thinking it was a genuine talk show at first.

I did have the "Best of" DVD, but it's not the best way to watch a TV series.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Er ok, tbh that's a bit weird that you done that. I will forgive you because you are a Whedon fan. I am also a UStv fan Buffy being the main one and Angel of course.

I used to watch Dawson's Creek religiously, I have the dvds and no it isn't. As you said it's a matter of taste so why do you see fit to state the fact that one is better than the other, that's kinda contradictory.

You remember the scene when they're all sat around a fire discussing smells as a scent memory? Tell me that doesn't make you want to projectile vomit.

I have seen every episode of Dawson and watched HO since it started, I think I can say with some certainty which one is more sentimental thank you.

imo=in my opinion

im not stating fact,just proving my point about different tastes
  • Options
    Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Man vs Food is on here! Love that show! and I think Dog Whisperer is, think I saw it flicking through the EPG on Sky.

I like both US and UK TV. Mostly British though. The only American TV I watch is a few fantasy ones (supernatural, smallville, buffy, heroes) and South Park and sometimes The Simpsons. And of course Man vs Food!

UK TV I watch - well most things, apart from soaps! Good quality dramas (Sherlock, Whitechapel.etc) sci fi show (Dr Who, LoM, A2As Torchwood), comedy (Live at the Apollo, Mock the Week.etc), even talent shows (BGT, XF). Some are better quality than others obviously. I like having both UK and US TV in my viewing schedule. British TV is an everyday thing, and American TV is whenever it's on.

My favourite shows have been British though, nothing can beat Life on Mars and Red Dwarf in my opinion.

I'm also one for thinking American ads are annoying! When I have to stream NASCAR the ads are so annoying, for example medication ads spend so long telling you possible symptoms it doesn't leave any room for the ad! I know it's rules and regulations, but it's stupid! Plus America's ads aren't as regulated as ours they can have longer ad breaks and more frequent, here we have OFCOM to regulate them. So I would prefer to watch TV in UK than US, whether the programme is made here or over there!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member

The Amazing Race
    Hardcore Pawn
    Man v Food
    My Strange Addiction
    Millionaire Matchmaker
    Undercovers
    Police Women of Dallas
    Intervention
    Gravity
    Americas Cutest Dog
    Sarah Palin's Alaska
    American Pickers
    Dog Whisperer
    Hoarders
    Blue Mountain State
    The League
    Rita Rocks
    Army Wives
    Glory Daze

Ghost, The Amazing Race aired some seasons on on of the Sky channels - One, Two or Three, and then also on living. Mind you they were very early episodes and repeated constantly with no new episodes ever having been bought after.

Also, I do recall having seen Blue Mountain State on MTV if Im not mistaken.

Glory Daze is also quite new having started quite late in the US TV season. Give it a few months and no doubt it will air somewhere - would have thought MTV is a perfect home for it what with it being anything but Music television :p
  • Options
    shades8438shades8438 Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the end I love a lot of US TV drama's and sports but I would not want the FCC ruling over the UK TV (I know this never going to be the case just that prefer a lighter or no censorship) and in such i think outside a few dramas network US TV is not as good as UK free to air TV.

the biggest issue I have is with UK stations showing HBO and showtime shows that are not made for ads to be put in them in such unless the BBC shows them they are poorly edited place the ads in them.

I was hopeful that the new sky Atlantic (showing all new HBO shows) would be ad free during the shows like sky movies is but this is not going to be the case :-(. Instead I going to have to watch shows like mad men (which i know has ads on AMC) but were shown on BBC with ads. Given the amount of blu rays I am going to buy (that's if they release them on blu ray) and time I will have to wait for that I would be willing to pay 5 to 8 pounds a month for it (especially if they showed them the same week as HBO and showtime etc)

Though in the area of pay TV sky are way behind the US in terms of drama and in some cases sports (look at what HBO has done with sports docs on NHL and NFL like 24/7 and Training Camps) It would be good if Sky could treat us sports fans as adults at least some of the time, but then the irony is that sky sports even as pay TV premium channel that would think aim at the knowledgeable sports fan is in fact nearly as bad as ITV in its aiming to dumb down sports (football is good case with poor panel shows and maybe the worst set of pundits in the whole of sports broadcasting)
  • Options
    BundymanBundyman Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member

The Amazing Race
    Hardcore Pawn
    Man v Food
    My Strange Addiction
    Millionaire Matchmaker
    Undercovers
    Police Women of Dallas
    Intervention
    Gravity
    Americas Cutest Dog
    Sarah Palin's Alaska
    American Pickers
    Dog Whisperer
    Hoarders
    Blue Mountain State
    The League
    Rita Rocks
    Army Wives
    Glory Daze

American Pickers is on History in the UK...Bizarre i know

Some of those soaps are on the CBS Channels here & Diva TV were also running some
  • Options
    NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It helps large American TV channels are attached to commercially sucessful Film Studios in one way or another which helps with resources, budgets etc whilst in the UK we are not but we are great at exporting formats. Its sometimes hard for TV channels over here to get "large" budgets as its ususally a deal between the channel, the production company and perhaps foreign investors but when we do it right its usually better than american TV. I prefer british all the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ... when we do it right its usually better than american TV.

That is a meaningless statement. If something is "done right" it will be good, maybe even outstanding. If a given British show is good or outstanding, it makes no sense to compare it to "American TV," as if "American TV" is one big blob instead of a range of hundreds and even thousands of show that vary in quality. If we exclude every show that isn't at least "good," both for American TV and British TV, I think American TV comes out way ahead in number of series, and a list of the "Very Best" series will be heavily skewed toward the American side as well.
  • Options
    Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is a meaningless statement. If something is "done right" it will be good, maybe even outstanding. If a given British show is good or outstanding, it makes no sense to compare it to "American TV," as if "American TV" is one big blob instead of a range of hundreds and even thousands of show that vary in quality. If we exclude every show that isn't at least "good," both for American TV and British TV, I think American TV comes out way ahead in number of series, and a list of the "Very Best" series will be heavily skewed toward the American side as well.

I think he meant the best of British is better than the best of American. I agree, it is better in terms of quality
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    I think he meant the best of British is better than the best of American. I agree, it is better in terms of quality

Got to disagree the best of British has dropped quality year on year reproducing the same formula Drama TV thats worked for the past 30yrs.

While US TV have tried to be innovative & improving the genres they excel in.

Exclude the BBC what have the other channels brought to the table.
  • Options
    StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    imo=in my opinion

im not stating fact,just proving my point about different tastes

Ok my dear, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree :)

Out of interest are you a big Dawson's Creek fan? I did used to like it, sometimes I even get the urge to watch it.