New strain of bird flu raises concerns.

bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
Forum Member
H7N9, a new strain of avian flu detected in China is causing concern among leading scientists in the field. Although the number of cases is still very small it has already shown the capability to mutate genectically and the World Health Organization admits there is no vaccine available at present.

Updates from the BBC and WHO ....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/search/news/?q=H7N9

http://www.who.int/influenza/human_animal_interface/faq_H7N9/en/index.html

Obviously no need to panic just yet but i for one will be keeping a close eye on this to see how things develop, we're constantly being told that a pandemic is almost inevitable and this one seems to be ringing more than a few alarm bells. Anyone else share my concerns?

Comments

• cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no, I have chickens. I hope it's not going to happen again.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No evidence of human to human transmission.

Why is it always birds in frigging China FFS ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is nothing we can do about it, if it does kick off I will be staying in doors. Maybe I should stock up on foods.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, i'm not worried because, like all the other times, it's not going to become catastrophic and kill us all. It's going to affect a few people who work in bird factories in China, and although I feel for those people, i'm not going to start fearing for my life over the head of it.
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they should be a vaccine but to get the vaccine you would have to be earning a certain income to beoffered it!... So in retrospect a cull of the uk is needed and the ones worth saving will be saved
  • shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    There is nothing we can do about it, if it does kick off I will be staying in doors. Maybe I should stock up on foods.

Aye go on then , get yourself to the supermarket and buy all the bread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or be bread
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazzaroo wrote: »
    Anyone else share my concerns?

No. Because bird flu could be quickly and easily eradicated by adding a few drops of Lemsip or Daynurse to birdbaths. (Obviously, you would have to put Nightnurse in the birdbaths for owls.)
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    No. Because bird flu could be quickly and easily eradicated by adding a few drops of Lemsip or Daynurse to birdbaths. (Obviously, you would have to put Nightnurse in the birdbaths for owls.)

:D Very good.

The deaths of up to 16,000 pigs found floating in the waterways of Shanghai are being investigated to see if there's any connection to the H7N9 virus.

The virus has now spread to a province in the Yangtze river delta, with one fatality and another man hospitalized.

Still keeping my eye on this, although as others have said, there's no evidence of human to human contagion yet and not a great deal we could do about it anyway!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A IQ should have to be taken to get the vaccine... The world needs a cull
    Forum Member
    rick182 wrote: »

Totally agree, eugenics ftw!

P.S. You just failed, you should have said AN I.Q test.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering the amount of times we're meant to have died over the last few years through different types of flu, I'm not remotely worried about this one.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazzaroo wrote: »
    :D Very good.

The deaths of up to 16,000 pigs found floating in the waterways of Shanghai are being investigated to see if there's any connection to the H7N9 virus.

The virus has now spread to a province in the Yangtze river delta, with one fatality and another man hospitalized.

Still keeping my eye on this, although as others have said, there's no evidence of human to human contagion yet and not a great deal we could do about it anyway!

Can they not send The pigs down to Pyongyang might solve all our problems.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if the company that makes the vaccine is overstocked again or if their share price has dipped.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are we catching the crappy animal flu's anyway. Bird Flu, Pig Flu, Mad cow Disease. I wan't me some tiger flu.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

I wouldn't trust intelligent quotient tests.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Pity you wouldn't qualify for one yourself :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Gotta love those crazy Dutch scientists and their wacky sense of humour, they actually thought it would be a good idea to create their own strain of deadly flu that can be passed from human to human via airborne droplets!

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/04/04/us-birdflu-ressearch-idUKBRE9330M820130404
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    No evidence of human to human transmission.

Why is it always birds in frigging China FFS ?

Probably because of their complete lack of animal welfare, their inability to dispose of diseased animals correctly and their complete lack of health and safety requirement when it comes to farming/breeding etc.
  • WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wench wrote: »
    Probably because of their complete lack of animal welfare, their inability to dispose of diseased animals correctly and their complete lack of health and safety requirement when it comes to farming/breeding etc.

But they sure know how to assemble an iPad quickly.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Oh no, another bird flu scare. A new batch of flu pills and more money goes into the pharmaceutical industry. History repeats itself.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Bird Flu scare has been on and off for at least 10 years now.
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No sign of it spreading between humans yet. Anyone else more worried about other things that might be flying around in Asia this week, than birds? :o