Options

Time to end the US - UK relationship

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
US Mocked UK Over 'Special Relationship'

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/US-Mocked-UK-Over-Special-Relationship

Can we walk away with a shred of decency. The US is a superpower that doesn't need or want us. Why are we so desperate to break away from Europe? Are we supposed to be special because the US is a friend and saved us during the wars by selling us shoddy weapons for their own gain?

Time to open our eyes, Americans think very little of us. What's worse is we'll be getting dragged into a bigger war involving Iran and N.Korea. Burn this bridge already before any more British soldiers are killed.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    I doubt UK political leaders have much of a say in the relationship with the US. There's probably a load of background deals - signed by their predecessors, which would take the UK decades to break away from.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We should do, in terms of the speical relationship, what most countries would do. Evaluate and review our comitements on a regular basis and if something is not in the greater interest then we dont do it. I think it times to shatter this rediculous myth that we are somehow 'best buds' on the world stage with the US. There are bigger interests out there for the US and our only 'saving grace' is that like some needy partner who feels there looks and best years are fading we will cling to any chance to prove we 'still have it'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the British media that is more obsessive about the "special relationship" and this has spread to British politicians too.

I am not suprised the Americans think their behaviour is weird, cause the majority of the British public think it is weird too.

Its almost like the kid at school who has no real friends to goes round pandering to the "head kids" in order to be seen as to be cool.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Can we walk away with a shred of decency. The US is a superpower that doesn't need or want us. Why are we so desperate to break away from Europe? Are we supposed to be special because the US is a friend and saved us during the wars by selling us shoddy weapons for their own gain?

Time to open our eyes, Americans think very little of us. What's worse is we'll be getting dragged into a bigger war involving Iran and N.Korea. Burn this bridge already before any more British soldiers are killed.

I am alive today because Americans fought for me and sent food parcels so that I could eat.

America is a great nation.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's time we ditched the "Special Relationship" but not our genuine relationship with the US.

It's a pity we couldn't find out what the rest of the EU were calling us behind our backs, it's a pity we can't get Wikileaks to expose them too.

The way the UK, more-so the media and the MP's behave, is similar to how the most beautiful girl in school smiles at the spotty faced, mommy's boy, nerdy, bullied, loner in school just because she feels sorry for him. He then gets all obsessive, thinks there's more to it, thinks that she loves him and fantasises over her all day.
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Roll over, fetch the stick. There's a goooood boyyy. ;)
  • Options
    DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what people seem to forget about America is America's view of international relations and politics is simple - America first and foremost

America has never lied about it's international policies, people seem to just misinterpret their policies in their own ways... America has allies, but only allies which provide some kind of benefit for their own interests. Once people begin to understand how this works, they'll understand that this "special relationship" is nothing more than America's own self-serving attitude in action
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The implication is that all this bad-mouthing is only happening in one direction. I think that's rubbish - I'm sure that in private British politicians and civil servants have expressed equally negative opinions about the US.

We use each other in ways that suit us - isn't that the real core of diplomacy?
  • Options
    DarthDorkDarthDork Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    I am alive today because Americans fought for me and sent food parcels so that I could eat.

America is a great nation.

I'm alive today, amongst other reasons, because my grandfathers and their peers fought for us. They didn't make any profit out of it either :)
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The so called special relationship is a one sided fantasy on the part of our own politicians. We are allies sure, but there is no need blindly to follow on illegal wars and fabricate dodgy dossiers to back them up. The US would dump us at the drop of hat if it no longer suited their purposes and quite rightly so.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DarthDork wrote: »
    I'm alive today, amongst other reasons, because my grandfathers and their peers fought for us. They didn't make any profit out of it either :)

Talking about making a profit did anyone see how the US Treasury has been pocketing the money Europe donates to the Afghan army and the US military has been charging a 15% handling fee for handing it over to them?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/02/germany-us-afghan-funds-wikileaks
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    The implication is that all this bad-mouthing is only happening in one direction. I think that's rubbish - I'm sure that in private British politicians and civil servants have expressed equally negative opinions about the US.

We use each other in ways that suit us - isn't that the real core of diplomacy?

Shhh. don't bring reality into this!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I fully agree!

The USA Should leave N.A.T.O. the U.N., North Korea, Canada, Mexico, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, Brazil..................too their own means. With no funds for them.
    The USA should avoid them!