Options

The (some) Sports Bundle

paul_jtpaul_jt Posts: 219
Forum Member
Did raise this on the Sky TV prices will increase on 1 September thread. However, having seen a new leaflet earlier yesterday and confirmed on the Sky website, thought it was worth reigniting separately.

The Sports Bundle is The Original Bundle plus Sky Sports Pack. But this does not include some sports channels; At the Races, Eurosport and Extreme Sports. These come with the Variety and Family Bundles.

For £46 a month, it is my opinion the typical sports fan should reasonably expect to receive these channels.

A specific bundle aimed at sports fans is obviously clever marketing, it is also (at present) less than clear advertising.

Comments

• Options
    JamesEJamesE Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Yes, I noticed this on a flyer which came through the door. I was rather hoping that they'd altered things so that I could have Eurosport without all the other dross, but it was not to be. A sports bundle should, and could, include the other sports channels.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamesE wrote: »
    Yes, I noticed this on a flyer which came through the door. I was rather hoping that they'd altered things so that I could have Eurosport without all the other dross, but it was not to be. A sports bundle should, and could, include the other sports channels.

Eurosport is not controlled by Sky though, so presumably Eurosport chose to be in the pack that they are currently in.
  • Options
    innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    Eurosport is not controlled by Sky though, so presumably Eurosport chose to be in the pack that they are currently in.

I assume they are getting financial incentives from Sky though to participate in certain pricing bundles?

Anyway Sky are very clever about the way they scatter things around their different pricing bundles. But I do agree in this case it does seem very unfair on sports subscribers who already have to pay for a base bundle they may not necessarily want. In fact, I had no idea sports didn't include these channels mentioned in the thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aurichie wrote: »
    I assume they are getting financial incentives from Sky though to participate in certain pricing bundles?

they get a share of the subscription income for the package they are in (just like they do on all other platforms they are carried on).
    eurosport obviously decided they would get more income by being in the package they are in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    they get a share of the subscription income for the package they are in (just like they do on all other platforms they are carried on).
    eurosport obviously decided they would get more income by being in the package they are in.

Nothing to stop sky saying to eurosport though we'll give you the same whether the subscriber is in sports or a particular bundle? My guess it is both Sky and Eurosport that are happy with the current situation and have no interest in including the channels in the sports bundle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing to stop sky saying to eurosport though we'll give you the same whether the subscriber is in sports or a particular bundle? My guess it is both Sky and Eurosport that are happy with the current situation and have no interest in including the channels in the sports bundle.

more potential viewers for eurosport not being in the sports pack, thus more income from advertising.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    more potential viewers for eurosport not being in the sports pack, thus more income from advertising.

there wouldn't be more potential viewers with the current arrangement if eurosport were in both packs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there wouldn't be more potential viewers with the current arrangement if eurosport were in both packs.

a channel can't be in 2 different packs.
    as it stands eurosport have a greater potential audience by in the pack they are.
    if they moved into the sports pack then the potential audience number drops quite considerably.
  • Options
    Forum Member

why not?
  • Options
    Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    as it stands eurosport have a greater potential audience by in the pack they are.
    if they moved into the sports pack then the potential audience number drops quite considerably.

Sky Sports News is in two different packs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And Sky Sports F1 was sold in the HD Pack and in the Sports Pack a while ago.

I can understand why Sky would like the arrangement since it ensures their sports subscribers who want to have all the sports channels have to pay more for their starter bundle. My guess it has more to do with this than anything. Now if Sky truly wanted to find a way to get Eurosport included in the Sports bundle they could work a deal. Or maybe pesky Ofcom is to blame again and totally frustrating Sky with their heavy handed regulation? :)
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because eurosport, at the races and xtreme aren't IN the "sport's" pack?
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The thread is suggesting it moving to the Sports bundle (Original with Sport) while remaining in Variety for those not in the bundle, not moving into the sports package.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No strong preference whether these sports channels all come within the Sky Sports pack (which could regrettably take them away from Variety and Family bundles), the Original bundle (which would not), both (as with Sky Sports News) or if they are split.

At the Races, for example, is part-owned by Sky so could be part of the Sky Sports pack. Eurosport and Extreme perhaps in the Original.

Main concern is Sky's persistent advertising of The Sports Bundle, without making it clear what you won't be receiving. The Movies Bundle, for comparison, does include TCM and movies24 as they are part of the Original bundle.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Easy answer is to change it to the Variety Pack & Sky Sports, and put the price up by £6.50
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or maybe pesky Ofcom is to blame again and totally frustrating Sky with their heavy handed regulation? :)

Then again, without OFCOM, things like this might never happen.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1989535
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Easy answer is to change it to the Variety Pack & Sky Sports, and put the price up by £6.50
    Cannot fault the honesty ;-)